Display names question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I have a question concerning the display names. 

Recently I've been accused of using another avatars name as my display name. This isnt something I'd even consider doing because if I saw someone else with my name I'd be a little irriated. Anyways this is besides the point. To prove my innocence with the sim owners I've wanted to try and get a list of things I've changed my name to and I'm wondering if there is a list that LL puts aside of your old display names? Of when you changed them or what youve changed them to.

Does anyone know if such list exists? If so, where could I find it? Could I send a message to LL and ask for account details concerning it? 

Thanks!
Hell

I never heard about a list like that,i think it never existed,it's the first time i see that kind of probleme,normally you are free to choose any display name you want,that's all,just becarful to not copy someones name and font and it's not cool 

I don't get why people would get upset when someone has the same display name as long you're not trying to impersonate that other person. In RL there are a lot more people sharing your name :D People partner up in SL and want to take the name of their partner, family, clan or whatever so there are bound to be a lot of people with the same or similiar display names. Ofcourse with exception of extremely decorated names that are copied to the letter.

Christhiana wrote:

I don't get why people would get upset when someone has the same display name as long you're not trying to impersonate that other person. In RL there are a lot more people sharing your name
:D
People partner up in SL and want to take the name of their partner, family, clan or whatever so there are bound to be a lot of people with the same or similiar display names. Ofcourse with exception of extremely decorated names that are copied to the letter.

Exactly! Millions of folks and you will have some "same" names.

Hellor Highwater: I've seen in some people's profiles in-world that they've changed their display name from this to that on this or that date, sometimes multiple changes over the years. I never thought much about it but it could show that in your profile too.

Not that I think anyone should be making a big deal about this. No one owns their username or display name in SL, LL does. It used to be you could not have a name that someone else had because it was a username. The ability to change display names is rather annoying to me and causes other people (like you) needless trouble.

Markham Weatherwax wrote:  I've seen in some people's profiles in-world that they've changed their display name from this to that on this or that date, sometimes multiple changes over the years. I never thought much about it but it could show that in your profile too.

As, for example, Hellor's profile Feed.which shows a string of display-name changes going back three years.

(I think she should have stuck with Yummi Bunz, myself.)

The Lindens asked for feedback when they proposed display names.  Not allowing display names that matched an existing account 'Legacy Name' was a requested feature.  The Lindens chose not to add that restriction.  So now you still have people wanting something the Lindens decided they would not provide.

btw, although answers exists it is not a place to obtain a discussion.  It sucks at discussion.  It is also not a place to ask questions that are subjective or seek opinions.  So while you asked a question it was preceded by comments likely to generate discussion.  Because the gist of it was you've run into people who want to impose some arbitrary standard on you.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

btw, although answers exists it is not a place to obtain a discussion.  It sucks at discussion.  It is also not a place to ask questions that are subjective or seek opinions.  So while you asked a question it was preceded by comments likely to generate discussion.  Because the gist of it was you've run into people who want to impose some arbitrary standard on you.

DON'T ask for facts if you want a discussion.

Don't ask for a discussion if all you want are facts.

Don't mix the two.

***Don't expect sympathy if you can't work out the difference between a fact and an opinion***

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

The Lindens asked for feedback when they proposed display names.  Not allowing display names that matched an existing account 'Legacy Name' was a requested feature.  The Lindens chose not to add that restriction.  So now you still have people wanting something the Lindens decided they would not provide.

I don't remember them asking for Feedback but they sure as hell got it!  :)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

I don't remember them asking for Feedback but they sure as hell got it! 
:)

There was an  August 2010 Jack Linden blog "Display Names: Bringing Greater Self-Expression to Second Life" that allowed resident responses.  So maybe they didn't ask for it but they asked for it... if you follow me.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Features/Display-Names-Bringing-Greater-Self-Expression-to-Second-Life/ba-p/660251/page/21

I also found a Jack Linden blog from 2010 which talks about the feedback they received.  It also mentions the requested restriction the LL decided not to provide.  I'll provide a quote and a link below.

"Some of you have suggested disallowing the Display Name from matching any previous Username, but as we have used many millions of names for accounts already that would make Display Names very hard to use as most names would be blocked"

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Changes-to-Display-Names-Based-on-Your-Feedback/ba-p/664881/page/6

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

There was an  August 2010 Jack Linden blog "Display Names: Bringing Greater Self-Expression to Second Life" that allowed resident responses.  So maybe they didn't ask for it but they asked it... if you follow me.

I also found a Jack Linden blog from 2010 which talks about the feedback they received.  It also mentions the requested restriction the LL decided not to provide.  I'll provide a quote and a link below.

"Some of you have suggested disallowing the Display Name from matching any previous Username, but as we have used many millions of names for accounts already that would make Display Names very hard to use as most names would be blocked"

Thanks for the reminder.

Once upon a time they used to allow us to reply to blog announcements...........

Was a lot more fun back then and a lot harder for them to ignore us while they ignored us.  ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

There was an  August 2010 Jack Linden blog "Display Names: Bringing Greater Self-Expression to Second Life" that allowed resident responses.  So maybe they didn't ask for it but they asked it... if you follow me.

Thanks for the reminder.

Once upon a time they used to allow us to reply to blog announcements...........

Was a lot more fun back then and a lot harder for them to ignore us while they ignored us. 
;)

Yes, although these things seem to go in cycles.  Like the JIRA system.  A 'new' JIRA system was implemented back in the fall of 2010.  Two years later we moved to the 'your JIRA is our secret' approach.  No one could comment other than the reporter.  After the a JIRA had been triaged the dialog ended.  A mere 17 months later JIRA is not secret.  People get to comment again.  But the blogs announcing the JIRA changes later than Sept 2010 - no replies allowed.  Maybe that's on a longer cycle.

I do miss the fun.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

btw, although answers exists it is not a place to obtain a discussion.  It sucks at discussion.  It is also not a place to ask questions.

FIFY!

;-).

Answers is the most broken facility of its kind I've ever seen. The originators of questions are not allowed to further participate in the resolution of their problems, other than by editing their question. And those edits do not notify anyone who's participated in the thread.

The CIA has nothing on LL with regard to torturing people.

Which are some of the reasons I don't do the Answers Section.  I dislike it very much.

And sometimes getting a person their answer requires DISCUSSION.

I do think we need an FAQ tab that covers the most frequently asked questions.

How many times do we need to explain "unpacking a box?"

I agree in principle that the GD should be for GD, but given how dismally formatted Answers is it does not bother me so much that people post their questions here.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Thanks for the reminder.

Was a lot more fun back then and a lot harder for them to ignore us while they ignored us. 
;)

Yes, although these things seem to go in cycles.  Like the JIRA system.  A 'new' JIRA system was implemented back in the fall of 2010.  Two years later we moved to the 'your JIRA is our secret' approach.  No one could comment other than the reporter.  After the a JIRA had been triaged the dialog ended.  A mere 17 months later JIRA is not secret.  People get to comment again.  But the blogs announcing the JIRA changes later than Sept 2010 - no replies allowed.  Maybe that's on a longer cycle.

I do miss the fun.

OMG Qwal - didn't you see the bold type at the bottom of that last blog?  Here, I'll quote it for you:

"We think these changes will make for a better, more transparent and more productive experience for all of us, but if you have additional ideas on ways to improve our implementation, you can share them with us in this Forum thread."  

See? It's come full circle..... o.O... dat means.... well, the times they are a changin'   Nuff said.

Perrie Juran wrote:

HEY that's a great idea! Perhaps we could call the FAQ tab "KNOWLEDGE BASE"!

***Don't look up the page, you might get a nose bleed***

Perrie Juran wrote:

AND in that "KNOWLEDGE BASE" tab perhaps we could have articles about, say, "unpacking a box"

***But how could we get idiots to look in the tabs for things like KNOWLEDGE BASE and ANSWERS rather than just posting their stupidly repetitive questions in GENERAL DISCUSSIONS***

LlewLlwyd wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

HEY
that's a great idea! Perhaps we could call the FAQ tab "KNOWLEDGE BASE"!

***Don't look up the page, you might get a nose bleed***

Perrie Juran wrote:

AND
in that "KNOWLEDGE BASE" tab perhaps we could have articles about, say,

***But how could we get idiots to look in the tabs for things like KNOWLEDGE BASE and ANSWERS rather than just posting their stupidly repetitive questions in GENERAL DISCUSSIONS***

Not everything in the KB is an FAQ.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Which are some of the reasons I don't do the Answers Section.  I dislike it very much.

So do the rest of us.

And sometimes getting a person their answer requires DISCUSSION.

Y
ep, and sometimes people wish to offer thanks. You can't do that easily, either. I'm surprised that a few make the extra effort to do so. It feels good.

The entire SL website was designed by people who are remarkably clueless about... design. Look at the front page. There are no links to the Knowledge Base, Wiki or Forums. Even on a 4K screen, you must scroll down to find the "Support" link in the "Connect with Us" column. None of the links in the "Connect..." column connect you with LL, unless you think viewing PR material is connecting. 
On Apple's home page, the "Support" link is on the right side of the menu bar, next to search. On a Mac, "Help" is on the right side of the menu bar, next to search. No scrolling is ever required to find help. It is this attention to detail that separates the wheat from the chaff.

At least once to every resident in SL. If that's not done well in an easy to find place, people will come here. This is not so much the result of stupidity or laziness on the part of residents, it's the result of stupidity or laziness on the part of LL. Remember, the residents have the money that LL needs to stay alive. 

I agree in principle that the GD should be for GD, but given how dismally formatted Answers is it does not bother me so much that people post their questions here.

In principle, if LL's principals had the right principles, we wouldn't be complaining so much about these things.

• 1 year later...

Usernames cannot be changed, so any matching must be done by changing your display name (or just resetting it to your username). I see you've been able to do that by looking at your profile feed. I also see you've used Unicode frilly characters in the past, which is the only way to achieve different looking characters. SL provides no ability to change character fonts. I do not recommend using Unicode characters, as there are all kinds of little problems lurking in SL that may bite you eventually if you do.

Display names may be changed no more often than once per week, but can be reset to match your username at any time.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I do not recommend using Unicode characters, as there are all kinds of little problems lurking in SL that may bite you eventually if you do.

Yes, and not only in SL. A non-trivial number of people will see Unicode display names (and group tags, etc) with certain of the letters displayed as a nondescript box instead of the ever-so-clever frilly-fonted letter. That's because some people choose -- and some need -- non-standard fonts, some of which lack some Unicode characters.

Put another way: the Unicode characters don't merely look aggressively dopey, they're also a direct attack on those with vision limitations.

LlewLlwyd wrote:

It's only repetative to those who have been here a while. To the person asking it, it is not repetative at all. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.