Degenerate Triangles???

OichiKazama

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah hi. I'm trying to import a anime-styled hair/Mesh that i made using pmx editor and converted it into blender and exported it as dae. The anime community has some really pricy stuff when it comes to anime-syled avatars specifically so i decided "Screw this,i'll make my own." well thats apparently a problem because when i tried to upload it in SL it told me the upload had failed because of "Degenerate triangles". Wtf? What does that even mean and how can i fix this? Look i don't have the money to keep buying Lindens and if it's that serious i wanna import my own wares and wear them. Just why?

Degenerate triangles are triangles with (nearly) zero area. This can be either because two vertices are identical or because all three lie on a straight line. Doesn't have to be exactly zero because the code uses a very small number that it treats as effectively zero. So if you have very small triangles they might be treated as degenerate although they aren't exactly zero.

In Blender you can do Mesh->Clean up->Degenerate dissolve, which will eliminate them. An option will appear at the bottom of the toolbox (on the left) where you can set how close vertices have to be to be merged. As long as the problem isn't just that your mesh has far too many triangles anyway, that should help you.

PS. You are probably going to get a better response asking this sort of question in the Mesh forum.

• 4 months later...

I was getting this error and there are no degenerate triangles in my mesh. Still I tried the dissolve as suggested and nothing was removed. Things would have shown up in my unwrap as well had they been there. Faces wouldn't have unwrapped by quads well at all. But I'm still getting this issue. The error only goes away when I analyze the mesh and that closes my doorways. I don't want my doorways blocked by SL's triangle issues. Any other suggestions here?

58 minutes ago, Sindrey said:

Any other suggestions here?

Creating a very simplified mesh for the physics. Without any little or thin triangles.
The importers preview should display the troublesome areas as thick black lines, which should give you an idea where to work on. They might be hard to see on a large build though.

Also along with the physics mesh which is pretty much IMPERATIVE for houses in SL you might try uploading with the Linden Viewer if you are using a third party viewer.  I had an issue not long ago and the Linden viewer would upload (I had a prestine and lovely physics mesh but I also had some "jogs" in the building which the uploaders SO DID NOT LIKE. The Linden viewer DID upload it correctly with my physics mesh but it was also going to be 27 instead of 6 (which was much closer to what it should have been as only a few walls with windows that didn't open. So I abandoned that linden model :D.

But worth a try. 

LOTS of info in the mesh forum about making physics models for houses.

• 4 years later...

From 2017 to 2021, the problem with complicated meshes having too many vertices can be corrected using 3d editing software to optimize your mesh models. I recently ran into this same problem and stumbled on this forum. I am a novice when it comes to mesh editing so the quickest solution to my problem was found online with several 3rd party websites that can simplify Your STL model for free. However, models with more vertices than 10k may be really slow, more than 100k may be crippling for most browsers. Try to make backup copies of your models before you try to reduced your vertices with an online mesh simplification solution. The more you lessen, the more your model may become unrecognizable. If you are squeamish about uploading your work online, then there are a few free downloadable 3d poly-crushing programs that can provide the same results as mentioned above by advisor
Drongle McMahon. Welcome to the future. 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bei Shang said:

From 2017 to 2021, the problem with complicated meshes having too many vertices can be corrected using 3d editing software to optimize your mesh models. I recently ran into this same problem and stumbled on this forum. I am a novice when it comes to mesh editing so the quickest solution to my problem was found online with several 3rd party websites that can simplify Your STL model for free. However, models with more vertices than 10k may be really slow, more than 100k may be crippling for most browsers. Try to make backup copies of your models before you try to reduced your vertices with an online mesh simplification solution. The more you lessen, the more your model may become unrecognizable. If you are squeamish about uploading your work online, then there are a few free downloadable 3d poly-crushing programs that can provide the same results as mentioned above by advisor
Drongle McMahon. Welcome to the future. 🙂

This generalization needed to be necroposted 4 years later?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.