DDos?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I apologize if this was posted in the wrong section

I had some unknow visitor by the name of "youngbuckrabbit" drop into my Linden home. I repeatedly asked this person to leave, when he/she refused, I began to derender/blacklish, eject, eject/ban in that order. During that time the person told me to get on mic and they will leave if I do. If not, he/she will DDoS me from another account. That was when I ejected/banned and reported.

I have 2 questions: What is a DDos? Is there anything to prevent it on my end?

Thanks for your input,

Frank

Distributed Denial of Service

Basically, command a load of internet bots to send you lots of traffic.

They would need your IP address, if you didn't have any media enabled, unlikely they'd get it. I'd be inclined to just shrug and ignore the small child(like) person making highly likely vacuous threats.

Depending on internet provider, turning your router off and on may get a different address, which would render and such attack as rather futile, unless they intend to try it from within SL by commanding compromised accounts to do stuff. Go and read about Emerald viewer history for an example.

Either way, just laugh and ignore the children.

Your fatal mistake was to engage a youngbuckrabbit in conversation. If someone breaks into your home just ban them. All he means by DDoS is that he is going to annoy you a lot or he is threatening to. I am sure that he was delighted when you repeatedly asked him to leave so that he had the opportunity to mug you.

FrankiePalmero Actor wrote: What is a DDos?

It was Bill Gates first attempt at writing an operating system. It stands for Dominant Disk Operating System. It didn't work, so he bought in something from a naive but technically more gifted programmer named Tim Paterson who worked for Seattle Computer Products, called QDOS, which stood for Quick and Dirty Operating System. He renamed it MSDOS, which stands for Microsoft Sucky Disk Operating System, and gave Gary Kildall a call to say the weather was good for flying just before the IBM guy was planning a visit to buy CP/M and the rest is history.

Alec - to move it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.