Could They Make This For Furniture?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Visual-Outfit-Browser-is-Live/ba-p/3066497

I don't really care about clothes much although I think for many people this would be a great thing.

What I do wish is that they'd make a thing like this for furniture and other objects because when you get up to 85,000 items in inventory like me, you can't remember what everything looks like and you can't rename so many items that aren't on mod.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

What I do wish is that they'd make a thing like this for furniture and other objects because when you get up to 85,000 items in inventory like me

Pictures of 85,000 items? That would be 850,000 Lindens in upload fee. And think of all the hours you would have to spend taking all those pictures!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a brilliant idea. But Visual Outfits is just a crude hack. It may be good enough for something as limited as the outfits folder but for the inventory as a whole we'd need a proper modern file management system.

Unfortunately I don't think it'll be easy to get LL interested in such a project. They were actually working on a modern inventory interface once but it must have at least two years since we've heard anything about it. The project must be dead by now and I can't see any way to get LL to bring it back to life. :(

It's not perfect, but I Wear/Add boxes and furniture to check out what they are. It's quicker for me than the whole rez/delete routine and (depending on what it is) sometimes adds a touch of daft humour to proceedings.

Pictures are very helpful, but it helps so much more to actually see it inworld in the intended environment. At least for me, though I'm beginning to feel like I'm weirder than weird amongst the forum so maybe it doesn't matter. Anyway, that's my wee practice for speeding up the process marginally.

edit:

PS: reply intended for Prok, not ChinRey.

PPS: Do you annotate your folders with keywords? That gets around no mod, gives more characters to work with and works with search.

For furniture, I tend to use locations where the item was (or still is) used. The villa was taken down over a year ago, but I remember what was in the White Parlor and on the Blue Porch so while there is no way I'm going to remember the name of the chaise with the animations I like, I can find it by searching for Blue Porch.

Don't know if any of that will help you, but maybe it will spark ideas for something that will.

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

It's not perfect, but I Wear/Add boxes and furniture to check out what they are. It's quicker for me than the whole rez/delete routine and (depending on what it is) sometimes adds a touch of daft humour to proceedings.

I often do it that way too :)

Bitsy Buccaneer wrote:

Don't know if any of that will help you, but maybe it will spark ideas for something that will.

Here's one: Make a folder on your local hard disk and call it "SL Inventory" or something like that. Add subfolders matching the ones in you inventory. Then, take pictures of items, name pictures the same as the items and store locally.

Much faster and much cheaper to set up than something like Visual Outfit and almost as useful.

It would be a good idea IF it weren't merely a way for LL to earn lots of L$10s, which, for outfits, it is. There is no way to add a thumbnail for an outfit without paying the 10L upload fee - except, of course, you just happen to have some pics that are 256x256 or smaller, and if you have any of those, you've already paid the 10L for each of them.

If upload fees are not the motivation for it, they could have made it possible to add thumbnail pics to outfits without the fees, making them unusable for any other purpose, of course.

saving the 10L

i dunno how many proflie feed posts are kept or for how long. If heaps then could post pics of stuff with a description / inventoryname on our feeds for free

(:

+

eta: ps

if there is one thing that annoys me about the Outfits hangars is that I cant see any way to move the hangars tab to the 3rd position. I am never going to use this, and I would like to be able to move it out of my first view

hopefully there is a way to do this and somebody can tell me how

Prokofy Neva wrote:

I don't really care about clothes much although I think for many people this would be a great thing.

What I do wish is that they'd make a thing like this for furniture and other objects because when you get up to 85,000 items in inventory like me, you can't remember what everything looks like and you can't rename so many items that aren't on mod.

Imagine what it would cost you in 10Ls for a thumbnail pic of each piece of furniture you have in that 85,000 item inventory of yours.

Pics of outfits could be a decent earner for LL, with people continually making outfit varieties and paying 10L for a pic each time. After all, "It's only 10L to add a pic for another variety". Yep, it can be a nice little earner for LL. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, so I'm not really criticising. I'm only pointing out that (imo) LL's motivation isn't to make things a bit better for users. Instead, it's to create another nice little earner for the company.

You can run more than one thing on your computer at one time.
Make a directory on your computer, name it Inventory. Make sub-directories following the same naming convention as your SL Inventory. If your going to take screen shots anyhow, just use your computer to organize it all. I have a directory for everything I purchase, I'll go through the screen shots with a photo viewer to look for something I don't remember the name of or get ideas for an outfit. Sometimes I'll even see something and think, oh I never even opened that, and then go and have fun with it. Some things I keep in a word processor, index at the beginning to find things and even screen shots. And no upload fees and even accessible even when your not in SL.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Are you saying to just do this manually as record-keeping?

I'm afraid so.

But that's how the Visual Outfits function works too, it's all manual: You wear an outfit, open the snapshot window, take a picture and upload the picture to add to the folder. Then you repeat the process for each and every outfit you want a picture of. Nothing automatic at all there.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

Are you saying to just do this manually as record-keeping?

Or are you saying there is a way for the SL inventory to display on your hard drive, or even show an individual file name?

I've never seen anything like that. I thought it was all in an asset server, not stored locally. Huh?

Inventory has always been cached locally.  This is why things like textures have absolutely zero security around them, everyone has a copy!

Google "sl inventory viewer" for a few examples, yes there are tools including one that has been in the wiki for ages:-

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SL_My_Inventory_Viewer

featuring "Associate a local image file or flickr.com (or anyother internet URL) with an inventory object. "

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2764 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.