Could Second Life be killing my internet?

Axel UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

It is likely TWC... but there are other possible problems.

The age of the gateway/modem is a prime criteria. These units last about 5 years. So, if you are nearing that age consider buying a new one.

Also, the brand of gateway/modem matters. Low cost gateways often have problems with SL. They aren't built to handle the large number of connections SL opens. I've seen SL open 115 connections... I have an on screen floater that watches my ASUS motherboard and network. It tells me how many connections I have open.

You can test your connection to see where the problem is. See: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

I don't know anything about Time-Warner (we don't have them around here) but I'm assuming they offer bandwidth packages that compare, at least in orders of magnitude, to their competition. If that's true there's no reason SL should be such a bandwidth hog as to not allow anything else to run well. There is nothing about SL that can knock your modem offline, to the best of my knowledge.

If you mean just having SL installed on your computer but not actually running (meaning your avatar is not logged in), then no.

I still don't see how SL could be your problem. I live in the boonies and woods and have a DSL connection only. Download bandwidth 2.5 Mb on a good night, upload bandwidth oh please. Any cable hookup would beat it all hollow, I'm sure. SL has never gotten in the way. When the youngest was streaming a movie that DID add to my lag in SL, but there was never a connection loss, just a slowdown.

ETA See Maddy's post. If your modem is going offline at all, ever, your first call should be to the provider. Once again I got downstream of the issue by being distracted by the ideas in the question.

Trust me on this one, it's most likely Time Warner. We have them too, check recent reviews (even their facebook page has them) Their service is deplorable. Unfortunately for us, it is the only provider available, which sucks. In fact, we recently had them out because our internet was beyond awful and progressively getting worse. The guy, wrongly, assumed it was my modem, on the phone. Not realizing, I am not an idiot, he troublehoosted all of the same things I'd already done, repeatedly(and I am not using wifi, ftr.). Anyway, they sent another guy out, who was very kind, and also, not an idiot. He did as he was told by the supposed work order filed, which was to replace the modem, and check the signal. Lo and behold...new modem had the same issue, a power loss from the lines outside. He went out, checked all of the lines and realized what we already knew, and had told TWC, multiple times...the lines friggen suck!! Whoever originally installed them did a piss poor job. Some of the drops, weren't installed correctly, were filling up with water, and some were even upside down. Ours was right side up, but installed wrong, so managed getting a bit of water in it. He told us there wasn't much he could do, but he put in another immediate work order. He told us he would call a few guys he knew would be in the area in the next couple of days. He did one better though, he got a hold of someone who could come out THAT day. Dude fixed our drop, fixed the part of the line he could fix, and inspected all of the other lines(putting in an immediate work order to have the rest of them fixed...that is, all of our neighbor's)

Suffice it to say, our internet dramatically got better, that same day. Sadly, TWC turned that immediate work order the 2nd guy made into "we'll get to it when we do". So, because of that, the lines he could not fix, or was not allowed to fix at the time anyway, have not been fixed. Although our 'net is much better than it has been in years, it still has issues. In the last few days, on and off, the 'net has randomly reset, shut off for an hour or two at a time, and TWC has had more "maintenance" periods than they have in a very long time(if you call when your 'net drops, you can see if there is maintenance going on, they'll tell you, usually it's a recording, especially after hours, even though they have 24/7 tech service).

Sorry, long-winded, I do not like this company, at all, they are lax as all get out, and NOW, Comcast is going to be buying them, or, at least, they are merging, so who knows what kind of service we are going to get. I would make a call and ask for a service tech to come out and check your lines, inside, out, and check your modem. At least then you'll have it on record, especially if something is wrong outside your house(which they cannot, and do not charge customers to fix, ebcause it's not part of our responsibility). If you don't get the service you want, complain, it's the only way this company actually listens...because I honestly don't think they give a rat's left nut.

What a ridiculous question. Next you'll be asking if Thanksgiving happens on the fourth Thursday in November because in the week before lots of families buy turkeys and make travel arrangements.

There is a difference between causation and correlation.

And causation can be time-retrospective.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I don't know anything about Time-Warner (we don't have them around here) but I'm assuming they offer
bandwidth packages
that compare, at least in
orders of magnitude
, to their competition.
If that's true there's no reason SL should be such a bandwidth hog
as to not allow anything else to run well. There is
nothing about SL that can knock your modem offline,
to the best of my knowledge.

Hi Dillon :) 

Did I ever tell you I love when you techie talk.   I really do.

Even when you don't know what you're talking about.

PS You will never earn a helper pin that way.

LlewLlwyd wrote:

What a ridiculous question.

Well not entirely ridiculous although had it been something like "Could Netflix be killing my connection?" it would be more plausible.

Aside from the responses already given, I once had to deal with a situation with identical pieces of equipment.  The one year old versions worked fine, the new ones did not, the symptom being that when under load, there was a lot of data passing and the role of the boxes was to provide data encryption/decryption.

I'll keep the story short but the cause was that the crypto chip was overheating and cooling was insufficient because the heat pipe, (small piece of plastic a few inches long) which was supposed to sit on the base of the case had changed slightly in dimensions, due to a change in manufacture of this item.  In the new version, the plastic was formed incorrectly and did not sit flush, the result being that when the equipment was under load, the extra heat on the crypto chip was not drawn away via the fan at the end of the heat pipe.  Chip overheated and locked up the box.

My solution was to run some sellotape along the heatpipe to stick it to the case and seal it for the airflow to work properly and having identified the root cause, corrected appropriately via the manufacturer.

So, it's quite feasible, given appropriate circumstances for a poorly vented router, covered in dust, to overheat if the data throughput is excessive, for an already marginal home use device.

However, SL really isn't that data intensive compared to other streaming services, so it's exceptionally unlikely to be the above scenario.

I'm doing a google ping. When I'm off sl my connection is perfect. I also have a vpn connection - checked with speed test off and on my vpn. It's all fine. So when I run the continual ping and I connec to sl the connection is so intermittent - that I don't even know how sl is still 'running'. My guess is there is an issue with you connecting to the sl servers. I need to find the sl server IP's. I used to have them.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 10:55 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Minerva, how did you happen to read this thread from 2015? Did you do a search? Not judging you. Just curious because others have replied to old posts recently. :D

Oh - because I've been having issues and came across this one. Since it's still a live post - I thought I'd chime in.

On 4/29/2017 at 0:18 PM, MinervaBarnbaum Resident said:

I'm doing a google ping. When I'm off sl my connection is perfect. I also have a vpn connection - checked with speed test off and on my vpn. It's all fine. So when I run the continual ping and I connec to sl the connection is so intermittent - that I don't even know how sl is still 'running'. My guess is there is an issue with you connecting to the sl servers. I need to find the sl server IP's. I used to have them.

Necropost.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.