Community Volunteer FAQ

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please read this entire FAQ before posting any questions regarding this program.

What is a SL HELPER  Community Volunteer?

A  SL Community Volunteer is a regular and dedicated  second life   user that has generously donated their time and effort to support Community Management by playing proactive roles during events, as well  as providing guidance to other community members both in-world and on  the official second life forums. Community Volunteers are not  employees of linden labs its parent  company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates They are not  paid for their efforts. They don’t develop content for the platform,  formulate policy, or moderate  SL They are bound to the same Terms of  Service and User Agreement as any other user of Home. They are simply  really friendly people that care so much about this platform that they  spend a portion of their free time contributing to the greater social  good of Home by helping both new and veteran users.

Do Community Volunteers moderate ?

No. In fact, they are forbidden from attempting to moderate or police SL  in any way beyond reporting abuses they encounter in-world by using the  Submit a Report feature. We encourage every user to do this when they  witness behavior that is a violation of the Terms of Service and User  Agreement.

Do Community Volunteers moderate the forums?

Nope.Just like USERS  they are not moderators and forbidden from any similar activities that may be construed as a moderator. That said, they often are very familiar with Home and the forums and all the rules that go with each, so if they reply with a friendly reminder of forum rules that  are close to being broken or reminding others of proper forum etiquette  (common decency applies always), that is acceptable as anyone in the  community might also do.

How many Community Volunteers are there?

only me at min

How can I identify a Community Volunteer?

You  can identify a Community Volunteer by the special " icon  they will have floating above their head. It has a bright blue  logo  with the word " SL HELPER" across it in white.  Community Volunteers  will be wearing this when actively participating in volunteer  initiatives in-world, such as hosting events   tournaments.

How can I become a Community Volunteer?

When applications are being accepted, you may apply via NOTECARD 

send me notecard on how u iike SL  and things u can bring to team things u do help peple 

There  is no minimum or maximum amount of time that you must commit to  spending as a volunteer. Of course, we prefer our volunteers to be very  active in the community, so please don’t ask to participate if you only  sign in to second life  once a month. Since Community Volunteers aren’t  employees of linden labs  Community Managers will not dictate how you spend  your time in-world. However, we do require you to be an upstanding  citizen while in SL and on our forums. This means that you absolutely  must refrain from innappropriate behavior at all times, regardless of  the situation. Taking the high road can be very difficult sometimes, but  is a quality required of all  Community Volunteers. If you feel you  can step up to the plate, please 

How can I check on the status of my standing in the Community Volunteer program?

If you are chosen, we will contact you. There is no way to check the status of an application.

I’ve  witnessed a Community Volunteer behave in a way that is a clear  violation of the Terms of Service and User Agreements. How do I report  this?

We ask that you please use the Submit a Report  feature if in SL , or hit the Report feature on an inappropriate post  in the forums. We will take it from there.

officalnickiminaj wrote:

Please read this entire FAQ before posting any questions regarding this program.

A  SL Community Volunteer is a regular and dedicated  second life   user that has generously donated their time and effort to support Community Management by playing proactive roles during events, as well  as providing guidance to other community members both in-world and on  the official second life forums. Community Volunteers are not  employees of linden labs its parent  company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates They are not  paid for their efforts. They don’t develop content for the platform,  formulate policy, or moderate  SL They are bound to the same Terms of  Service and User Agreement as any other user of Home. They are simply  really friendly people that care so much about this platform that they  spend a portion of their free time contributing to the greater social  good of Home by helping both new and veteran users.

No. In fact, they are forbidden from attempting to moderate or police SL  in any way beyond reporting abuses they encounter in-world by using the  Submit a Report feature. We encourage every user to do this when they  witness behavior that is a violation of the Terms of Service and User  Agreement.

Nope.Just like USERS  they are not moderators and forbidden from any similar activities that may be construed as a moderator. That said, they often are very familiar with Home and the forums and all the rules that go with each, so if they reply with a friendly reminder of forum rules that  are close to being broken or reminding others of proper forum etiquette  (common decency applies always), that is acceptable as anyone in the  community might also do.

only me at min

You  can identify a Community Volunteer by the special " icon  they will have floating above their head. It has a bright blue  logo  with the word " SL HELPER" across it in white.  Community Volunteers  will be wearing this when actively participating in volunteer  initiatives in-world, such as hosting events   tournaments.

send me notecard on how u iike SL  and things u can bring to team things u do help peple 

There  is no minimum or maximum amount of time that you must commit to  spending as a volunteer. Of course, we prefer our volunteers to be very  active in the community, so please don’t ask to participate if you only  sign in to second life  once a month. Since Community Volunteers aren’t  employees of linden labs  Community Managers will not dictate how you spend  your time in-world. However, we do require you to be an upstanding  citizen while in SL and on our forums. This means that you absolutely  must refrain from innappropriate behavior at all times, regardless of  the situation. Taking the high road can be very difficult sometimes, but  is a quality required of all  Community Volunteers. If you feel you  can step up to the plate, please 

How can I check on the status of my standing in the Community Volunteer program?

If you are chosen, we will contact you. There is no way to check the status of an application.

I’ve  witnessed a Community Volunteer behave in a way that is a clear  violation of the Terms of Service and User Agreements. How do I report  this?

We ask that you please use the Submit a Report  feature if in SL , or hit the Report feature on an inappropriate post  in the forums. We will take it from there.

You could help by NOT using light grey text to post.

It's very inconsiderate of those who are visually impaired.

What are your qualifications to answer questions or give info?  Your avatar isn't even a month old.  I sure wouldn't have any confidence in anything you say. 

What are your qualifications to decide who has the knowleged and personality to be a helper?

If you or your volunteers give out wrong information will you accept liability for that if something goes wrong as a result?

Be sure your volunteers make it crystal clear when they help people that they are not in any way affiliated with, officially recognized or approved by LL.

SL is a legal trademark of LL.  You must read and comply with their guidelines for using it.  The way you want to use it in an icon is not allowed.

officalnickiminaj wrote:

A  SL Community Volunteer is a regular and dedicated  second life  
user that has generously donated their time and effort to support Community Management
by playing
proactive roles
during events, as well  as
providing guidance to other community members
both in-world and on  the official second life forums. Community Volunteers are not  employees of linden labs its parent  company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates They are not  paid for their efforts. They don’t develop content for the platform,  formulate policy, or moderate  SL They are bound to the same Terms of  Service and User Agreement as any other user of Home. They are simply  really friendly people that care so much about this platform that they 
spend a portion of their free time contributing to the greater social  good
of Home by helping both new and veteran users.

How do you plan to support community management.  What power/qualifications do you think you have exactly?  If you take a quick peek in the Answers section, you will see the people that already do this and they do it without a tag that says SL

Do you plan on having AR parties whenever someone has a grievance?  Who decides who is being mean or unfair?

Nope.Just like USERS  they are not moderators and forbidden from any similar activities that may be construed as a moderator. That said, they often are very familiar with Home and the forums and all the rules that go with each, so if they reply with a
friendly reminder of forum rules
that  are close to being broken or
reminding others of proper forum etiquette

(common decency applies always), that is acceptable as anyone in the  community might also do.

This is a joke, right?

only me at min

But you keep saying "we"

You  can identify a Community Volunteer by the special " icon  they will have floating above their head. It has a bright blue  logo  with the word "
SL HELPER"
across it in white.  Community Volunteers  will be wearing this when actively participating in volunteer  initiatives in-world, such as hosting events   tournaments.

So you will form a group and hand out tags that imply you are somehow affiliated with SL giving people the false impression you have some Linden Lab powers to help them?

There  is no minimum or maximum amount of time that you must commit to  spending as a volunteer. Of course, we prefer our volunteers to be very  active in the community, so please don’t ask to participate if you only  sign in to second life  once a month. Since Community Volunteers aren’t  employees of linden labs  Community Managers will not dictate how you spend  your time in-world. However, we do require you to be an upstanding  citizen while in SL and on
our forums 
(our forums?)
. This means that you absolutely 
must refrain from innappropriate behavior at all times
, regardless of  the situation. Taking the high road can be very difficult sometimes, but  is a quality required of all  Community Volunteers. If you feel you  can step up to the plate, please 

That's it.  I'm out.

We ask that you please use the Submit a Report  feature if in SL , or hit the Report feature on an inappropriate post  in the forums.
We will take it from there

You are asking people to use a tool that is already there and then saying that you have some power to look into it.  I am really confused about what it is you are offering that can't be handled with tools already available.

Is this an official Linden Lab group?

Please and thank you,

Cinn

officalnickiminaj cut & pasted:

I do hope you plan to represent Linden Lab a little more professionally than you have Nicki Minaj so far. In fact I think I will wait until your name is changed to "officialLindenLab" before the laughing stops.

This self-appointed roleplay wouldn't be connected to the self-appointed roleplay of the angel idiot would it? If not it seems you have a rival competing for the same turf.

Hopefully, everyone has gotten across why this may not work out in the way you were hoping.  

After thinking it over, I realized that maybe this was more than just simple nostalgia for the defunct community from which you pulled this FAQ.

So, first, a brief history.  Other residents have tried to start similar programs over the history of SL.  Most have not worked out well for the "helpers" or the larger community.  LL did once have  a program somewhat similar to the Community Volunteers, called the Mentors.  This was eventually disbanded.  People do still bring up the idea of bringing the program back.  A big problem, however, is that it is difficult to manage a program like that in SL.  People used the program for their own agendas, and in an environment where real money is involved it can get out of hand very quickly.

I definitely understand wanting to help the community.  My suggestion, based on personal experience, is to try one of two things.

You could join one of the existing helper groups and ask what you can do. They may say that they need teachers, greeters, moderators, or something else.  I'd try looking at the sims listed here first.  Of those, I'm most familiar with Caledon Oxbridge.  I know that they have an existing program for volunteers.  I think all of them probably do, except Social Island.

You could also start your own location to help new residents.  That way, you could set up your group exactly as you like and have a place where people can easily find you if they are interested.  If you go this route I would still strongly suggest that you take a look at the other existing locations and see what you think they're doing right, and what you think they're doing wrong.  That will help you focus in on what you think is the best way to go about managing a location like that.  

Whatever you decide, please make sure that you don't falsely give the impression that you are an official representative of Linden Lab or Second Life.  Doing that can cause serious problems.

Good luck, and I hope things work out for you!

officalnickiminaj wrote:

hey im trying help cummunirty leave me alone 

No, you are not.

If you really had an interest in helping people, you would have at least put in some effort. Maybe starting with not doing a sloppy copy-and-paste work for your FAQ. You did not even care to change the colour into something a little more friendly to the eye. Good grief, pale grey on white...

Secondly, your general idea in combination with your groups and previous posts hints to the idea, that you are more interested in policing Second Life, instead of helping newcomers. But even if you are not attempting to do this, you are biting off more than you can chew, especially in terms of the forum, where I give you a 9/10 for archieving a very bad start. You're not familar with the forum, it already existing regulars (and patient helpers) and your spelling is a complete mess. Not a good position to start being the big one here.

And last but not least, people who try to come off as a legit associate with LL never have a good stand with experianced users, as we know people/groups like that are a huge source for drama and exploiting newbies.

Syo Emerald wrote:

No, you are not.

If you really had an interest in helping people, you would have at least put in some effort. Maybe starting with not doing a sloppy copy-and-paste work for your FAQ. You did not even care to change the colour into something a little more friendly to the eye. Good grief, pale grey on white...

Secondly, your general idea in combination with your groups and previous posts hints to the idea, that you are more interested in policing Second Life, instead of helping newcomers. But even if you are not attempting to do this, you are biting off more than you can chew, especially in terms of the forum, where I give you a 9/10 for archieving a very bad start. You're not familar with the forum, it already existing regulars (and patient helpers)
and your spelling is a complete mess. Not a good position to start being the big one here.

And last but not least, people who try to come off as a legit associate with LL never have a good stand with experianced users, as we know people/groups like that are a huge source for drama and exploiting newbies.

You do have an important point here, which is worth paying attention to:

Not all people in SL understands or speak English/American, and have to use google.com/translate or have to wear a translator.

If the helper spells wrong or use too much slang in the conversation, the receiver is not able to use any translation tools, and the helper will not be a help at all, unfortunately.

officalnickiminaj wrote:

I haven't read the entire post and yet I'm asking a question, as follows:

By my not reading your entire post and having the audacity to ask a question anyway, will I be imprisoned for any length of time and, if so, are the guards, at least, somewhat attractive?

...Dres

P.S. (bonus question) How official is your nicktmanajosity?

Dresden wrote:

P.S. (bonus question) How official is your nicktmanajosity?

Read more carefully: it's not "official" at all; it's "offical", which one Urban Dictionary contributor defines as "office cubicle". Presumably the "-cle" of the noun switches to "-cal" in the adjective.

Hence, the OP isn't just any ol' Nicki Manaj, but the Nicki Manaj for office cubicles.

That would be Miley Cyrus, right?

GreenLantern Excelsior wrote:

There's some fairly extreme disrespect and cruelty in this thread toward a new resident who just wants to help people. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Why am I not surprised that a backwoods guy who likes to play cops and robbers, would find this sort of phoney authoritarian roleplay appealing.

There's some fairly extreme disrespect and cruelty in this thread toward a new resident who just wants to help people. Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Hi GreenLantern - please try to forgive and to see things from the other point of view ...

Some of us care a lot about the welfare of SecondLife, and when someone is trying to act in the name of Linden Lab, it is not unfair to be a little sceptical, I think.

Is the OP "a new resident"?   In the other thread he started, he wrote 

officalnickiminaj wrote:

If you're new here and need help finding your way around, why not ask someone in the Welcoming Committee?  We recognize how large and intimidating this forum can be at times, and we'd like to make it that much easier for you to come in, find what you need, become excited about the community, and maybe stay a while longer

Welcoming Committee.  It would make sense advertising in this board, rather than trying to send PM's out to all the new users as they register.

I was a member of the old Welcoming Committee.
  If any of the newcomers have any questions about the forums and they can't find the answers elsewhere, you can shoot me a PM and ask.  If any of the other veterans would like to volunteer as a guide/mentor for the newcomers, please post here and I will add your name to the list.  It would be a great opportunity to share your wisdom and experience with the next generation

The clear implication of that is that the OP has some experience in SL, albeit in an organisation I've never heard of (not that that means much).  Have I misunderstood it, or do you say the OP is lying or what?

Whatever the case, I'm very sceptical of this sort of initiative.   Besides the Answers section here, there's plenty of very well-established and reputable in-world groups people can join in they are interested in helping new residents.   Caledon Oxbridge has been mentioned, and there's also NCI, to name but two.

While I am writng in a personal capacity, of course, I'm involved in the Freedom Continent, an estate of some 25 or so Adult Regions, including the Adult Hubs, four regions particularly aimed at new residents who are interested in Adult SL.   I'm not directly involved with the helpers there, but I do know how it's organised and the sort of vetting, training and mentoring we give our volunteers before we turn them loose on new residents.   

If I'd wanted to be nasty, I've got a whole list of questions we give our volunteers (most of them based on questions we've actually been asked) as part of their training process to see what the OP made of them.    

We also, based on several years' experience of the trouble they're likely to cause, watch like hawks anyone who turns up on our regions claimng  to be the "SL anything" who doesn't have "Linden" as a last name.   

Radium Soup wrote:

Why am I not surprised that a backwoods guy who likes to play cops and robbers, would find this sort of phoney authoritarian roleplay appealing.

It's true, he seems a bit humour-challenged, but I'd be cranky too if my spandex were riding-up on me.

As a point of order and information, why doesn't the OP read the current SL Answers/SL Forums community standards and FAQ pages.:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Discussion_guidelines

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/help/faqpage

I take my lead from these sources and all the wonderful SL Answers volunteers that have aided me during the years.

Also, you'll find that many of us [semi-official community members] are rather busy helping others in-world as well as pursuing our chosen joyful activities of interest.

You'll also find that many unsung heroes are in-world helping as much as they can without any expectation of recognition. All these people combined make for a dynamic community of SL members that support the population of Second Life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.