Can You Make Money?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've just recently joined this world in hopes of making real money. One of my friends says he makes a decent living off of this and said I should join. So I was wondering if its actually possible to make money, and if so how often do people actually make money? One more random question I had was are there a lot of people that play second life?

BlackShards wrote:

I've just recently joined this world in hopes of making real money. One of my friends says he makes a decent living off of this and said I should join. So I was wondering if its actually possible to make money, and if so how often do people actually make money? One more random question I had was are there a lot of people that play second life?

Do you share skill sets?

you used to be able to make very good money in SL. you need to make something, womens clothes and shoes are the biggest money makers, you can have a band and play live music, you can build things and sell them...these however require a high set of 3D graphics skills. female strippers used to make very big money ( one told me she was making $100,000 a year) and all you need to do is have a female avatar with all the best accessories ( including skin and animations)....however, I am not too sure with all the new rules, as I thought LL had tried to stop people taking money out of SL. I may be wrong but you better research it. good luck and follow your dreams, you might not become a millionaire but you could be happy.

• Like 1

BlackShards wrote:

So I was wondering if its actually possible to make money, and if so how often do people actually make money?

Making money is SL is easy. Making a lot of money in SL is just like doing it in RL. Hard work and perseverance. SL isn't a get rich quick scheme.

I would guess that people make money every second of every day.

• Like 2

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Awe Thor wrote:

Awe . . . could make more money in an hour as a burger-flipper than 99.99% of SL avatars make in a year.

Shock... Why would you want to? :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

I wouldn't and don't need to.

Awe . . . but we aren't talking about me, or have you failed to grasp that?

Yes you can make decent RL money from SL But only very few people manage to make enough to be an actual livelihood, and such a livelihood is a bit precarious because things change and profits can dwindle.

I only know of one field in which decent RL money can be made without the need of acquiring some good skills, and that's land. Everything else requires sufficient skills to compete with people who have been refining their own skills for years.

Buying and selling land used to be quite profitable but the cost of land is so cheap now that I don't that's a particularly good market to be in any more. The way to make decent money from land is renting it out, either as just land,  or as renting homes out on the land. The first of those only requires a bit of quickly acquired knowledge. The second needs more but it's acquired much quicker and easier than gaining the skills to create knockout clothes that can compete in the market, for instance. Even then, it would be necessary to own and rent out a large amount of land to make anything worthwhile out of it. A person could experiment with it to see how far it could go; e.g. buy a small piece of land, rent it out, with the rent, buy another small piece and rent that out too, and so on, to see how big it could become for only the small outlay at the start.

• Like 1

BlackShards wrote:

This has been discussed many times...try these for additional information.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Money-making/m-p/1788239/highlight/true#M88711

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Making-money/m-p/1298909/highlight/true#M43577

And yes,  a lot of people play SL. According to an interview with the LL CEO 400,000 people sign up each month. There was a great interview with the CEO and the transcript that you can see here

http://joyardley.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/the-rod-humble-interview/

Good luck.

400,000 people sign up each month

Yes, they do ... and that's all they do: signing up. Then they realize some things they don't particularly like, like having to download and install a viewer, facing a steep learning curve just in order to avoid running into walls, buying a powerful computer to have the whole setup running, needing to have some social skills, learning all the time ... blahblah. So they sign up and are never to be seen again.

I would tap into the experiences of your friend first.  To really live off of money (yes, you can still 'cash out') you need to create or offer up something that will appeal to a lot of avatars.  If you end up making something, make it the best something you can.  You may need to invest money up front in order to purchase software to learn some skills.

Good luck!

DJs in SL make fairly good money depending on the club the work. MOst DJs Dj for many clubs. I have been working in SL for a year and 4 months. I save my money and don't spend on much. So invest wisley and save you can make real money in SL 

BlackShards wrote:

Ah, a refreshing "Back to the Future" question - takes me back to the the type of questions regurlarly asked on the forums when I first began SL. 

During the halcyion years of the first wave of land barons, merchants, and others making money in SL coupled with Anshe Chung being touted as the first SL resident to become a millionaire complete with a cover story on Business Week  some new people joining SL would post: "Ok, I'm here, how do I make big money?" or words to that effect.

Fast-forward to 2012ish when LL acquired a new CEO, Rodvik Linden (Rod Humble) who, imo, is steering SL toward more of a "game" angle rather than a virtual world along with the association of SL with Steam and now the question became, "Ok, I can't figure out how to play this game."

If you are sincerely interested in making money in SL, I would highly recommend the resources provided within this thread and at least do some reading in the merchant and land sub-fora, depending on your interests, as this will be where many people post who have experience and knowledge in this area.

Good luck to you. :)

Edit: Typo

Christin73 wrote:

DJs in SL make fairly good money depending on the club the work. MOst DJs Dj for many clubs. I have been working in SL for a year and 4 months. I save my money and don't spend on much. So invest wisley and save you can make real money in SL 

Are you a DJ?  I have been DJ'ing in SL since 2007.  Some months I worked several clubs.  For the past few years, I have worked for one club.  I doubt that any DJ in SL survives in RL on the L$ they make inworld.  There are some DJs who also DJ in RL.  They would be the first to say that they would never give up their RL gigs to 'survive' on what they make inworld.  Most clubs do not pay DJs.  We are paid in tips, and many times the club takes a cut of those.

I DJ for the lols.  Period.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.