Can Sim Administrator view all open chat?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unity Canare wrote:

I log into SL onto a roleplay sim, and was told today that sim admins could view and see all local chat?.. is this true or possible without chat enableing devices?

Why? What are you afraid of?

Saying things you ought not to, have you.

Understand child, everything is written down. He knows all.

Unity Canare wrote:

I log into SL onto a roleplay sim, and was told today that sim admins could view and see all local chat?.. is this true or possible without chat enableing devices?

Local chat is open for all to see.   It's open chat.

Outside of local chat range, they can use a chat relay, so they can see it.  (a scripted device that reads the local chat, and relays it onto someone)

If you want to communicate so others don't see what you write, use IM. 

(Or, a private voice call)

Edited to add:   There is the land privacy feature, which will protect local chat within the area where the privacy is activated.  But, the land has to be set to this feature for it to work. 

What exactly are you asking? Do you object to the admin reading chat? or just wondering if it's possible?

It's possible, but yeah, it would be done with a mesh of listeners on channel 0. That would be stupidly laggy, so I very much doubt they're actually doing it.

I suspect they've merely claimed the right to exchange any local chat logs captured on their sim. Maybe they do that outside SL (in an external database or whatever), in which case there's really nothing to which anybody can object. Maybe they do it using SL in-world tools, which might technically violate the ToS, depending on how much consent they obtained with sim rules.

Unity Canare wrote:

I am asking if its possible that is all.. I have never heard of this without chat relays or such devices.

A regular llSay() is limited to a 20m range. And any script can listen on channel 0 (it's public, after all).. I suck at math, LOL, but if you put down enough of these 'devices' (just a prim with listener script in it), so as to get full region coverage, then yes, theroretically you could listen in on everything, said everywhere (not counting height, as you'd need a sheer infinite number of devices to cover all up to 4,000m). No one in their sane mind would do this, though, as an endless amount of 'wildcard' listeners would produce an insane amount of lag.

Tl;dr: there's no special admin privilege that allows them to listen in on everything, if that's what you meant.

Unity Canare wrote:

Would you like to comment on the rationale for asking this extremely straightforward question here, rather than the ANSWERS section.

By the way, it's not just sim admins that can view and hear all local chat; it's everybody that wants to.

I trust that will increase your paranoia to a suitable extent.

kiramanell wrote:

Unity Canare wrote:

I am asking if its possible that is all.. I have never heard of this without chat relays or such devices.

A regular llSay() is limited to a 20m range. And any script can listen on channel 0 (it's public, after all).. I suck at math, LOL, but if you put down enough of these 'devices' (just a prim with listener script in it), so as to get full region coverage, then yes, theroretically you could listen in on everything, said everywhere (not counting height, as you'd need a sheer infinite number of devices to cover all up to 4,000m). No one in their sane mind would do this, though, as an endless amount of 'wildcard' listeners would produce an insane amount of lag.

Tl;dr: there's no special admin privilege that allows them to listen in on everything, if that's what you meant.

That is totally wrong, you need only a few. What makes you think a scripted device has to have a fixed position?

It's an invisible micro prim that will go near avatars hide inside of other prims and change their names to something in the vicinity.

The sim owner can NOT see the chat on the sim. He needs to use this spy devices. I'm not sure if that isn't against the TOS. I think it is but I'am too lazy to check that. Don't know if someone will care though since it is open chat.

Nova Convair wrote:

kiramanell wrote:

Unity Canare wrote:

That is totally wrong, you need only a few. What makes you think a scripted device has to have a fixed position?

It's an invisible micro prim that will go near avatars hide inside of other prims and change their names to something in the vicinity.

The sim owner can NOT see the chat on the sim. He needs to use this spy devices. I'm not sure if that isn't against the TOS. I think it is but I'am too lazy to check that. Don't know if someone will care though since it is open chat.

Not 'totally wrong' at all. ;) Flying towards a group of avis means you'd have to detect them first (that's the easy part); and by the time you did, there's a good likelihood you will already have missed part of the conversation. So, for a true dragnet, the spy devices would already need to be present (stationary).

Also, avis move. So, whereas your spy device can detect them (as an event on entry of the sim, for instance), you would need to continuously poll their current position to make sure you are still in range, lest you lose part of the convo again. The lag of which will kill you (unless, again, you're willing to allow holes in your dragnet).

Anyway, all of this is largely academic, really, as the question was about what one would need to create a true dragnet, without *any* holes, I maintain that this cannot be done unless someone were to put an insane amount of such devices on the sim (btw, requiring a LI far in excess of the 15k prim count even).

As an admin in an RP estate, why would we want to document all the local chat? Waste of time. We do have rules that state we can get logs of local chats to investigate claims of rule breaks as part of that investigation and the players agree with it by virtue of using the meter we have. Most admins don't care about everyday chat. Only the Lindens can see all of it without needed a spy device. and said spy devices are against the LL TOS.

I would say that anyone spreading a story about hearing all local chat is probably a troll and trying to cause trouble on the RP sim. If that was going around on the sim I'm on as an admin, I'd want to know who is spreading such stories so we can either correct their misconception or find out their motive for spreading these stories. Many times it's somone on an alt that was banned from the sim for rule breaks that is trying to cause trouble, at least that's been my experience.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

As an admin in an RP estate, why would we want to document all the local chat?

This thread is not intended to provoke speculation regarding the nefarious activities of admins.

I could make some suggestions though: inquisitiveness, seduction, jealousy, blackmail, revenge . . .

Should I continue?

Well, the admins where I am have better things to do. I create clothes, the GM does weapons, for instance. All of us hate wading through the logs, especially if there's been fighting, when we have a call on a rule break. Wasting my valuable time reading open chat logs....ummmmmm,....only if you pay me a good sum....daily.

I have RL too. Ya know... stuff like cooking, cleaning, and my crafing...yes, I'm an avid knitter. Working on this beautifly lace scarf right now, that I'm sure you don't want to hear about.... :)

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Well, the admins where I am have better things to do. I create clothes, the GM does weapons, for instance. All of us hate wading through the logs, especially if there's been fighting, when we have a call on a rule break. Wasting my valuable time reading open chat logs....ummmmmm,....only if you pay me a good sum....daily.

I have RL too. Ya know... stuff like cooking, cleaning, and my crafing...yes, I'm an avid knitter. Working on this beautifly lace scarf right now, that I'm sure you don't want to hear about....
:)

Your post does nothing to negate the validity of mine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.