Bring back the Friday threads...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4010 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...because the forums are dead as it is. Plus it really looks bad on LL when its CEO must look to 3rd party forums to interact with Second Life residents.

What was wrong with the old forums where we were allowed to go offtopic and discuss things like a good community would? It would be great to have the old posters back, heck even Pep and Suspyria would be fun to have back.

The last time I made a post on the GD forum it got deleted because it was "not about Second Life". Does anyone know if they have eased up on that rule?

Darren Scorpio wrote:

...because the forums are dead as it is. Plus it really looks bad on LL when its CEO must look to 3rd party forums to interact with Second Life residents.

What was wrong with the old forums where we were allowed to go offtopic and discuss things like a good community would? It would be great to have the old posters back, heck even Pep and Suspyria would be fun to have back.

The last time I made a post on the GD forum it got deleted because it was "not about Second Life". Does anyone know if they have eased up on that rule?

Your guess is as good as mine.

All you can do is try.

We've seen some unrelated (politics) threads appear to go unscathed, although it appeared the bulk of us get enough politics outside of SL and had little desire to discuss here.

It would be nice to see some fresh topics. Maybe some "Heavy Mystery" threads with Father Linden:

“once a week, Father Linden would come in for ‘heavy mystery’ time…& you’d save all your weird questions for Father Linden…in fact, you’d make up strange questions…you’d take a whole week thinking up trick questions for Father Linden…’hey, hey, hey father! hey, uh, if god is all-powerful, can he make a rock so big that he himself can’t lift it? ha, ha, he-e-ey! we got him now! ah, ha, ha’…or else you’d take a very simple sin & surround it with the most bizarre circumstances you could imagine…to try to, you know, relieve the guilt in the sin…we’d usually end up with the, uh, statement, “would that then be a sin then, father?” like, here, this is an example…there was one sin–not receiving communion during easter time…you had to perform your “easter duty”…you had to receive once between ash wednesday & pentecost sunday & if you didn’t do it, it was a mortal sin…provided, of course, you had said to yourself, “hey, i’m not gonna do it this year!” &, uh, there weren’t many mortal sins on that, but a lot of guys went to vatican city on easter duty & so you would ask the priest you know, you’d…’hey, father, hey, uh’…remember guys would leave their hand up after they got called on, right? & the priest would say, ‘what are you, the statue of liberty, don?’…’oh, sorry father…anyways, father…suppose that you didn’t make your easter duty…& it’s pentecost sunday–the last day…& you’re on a ship at sea…& the chaplain goes into a coma…but you wanted to receive…& then it’s monday, too late…but then you cross the international date line’…’yes, i’m sure god will take that into account…sit down, woozie’”

(R.I.P George)

cheeses.jpg

Darren Scorpio wrote:

Politics threads might bring Suella back. Feminist threads might bring Scyllia back (sorry forgot what her name was).

Well, this is the best way I know to tempt Suella.

You might attract Scyllia with an anti-bdsm rant.

I do miss Carole and her advise columns.

Regarding the off-topic question, this is the official description of this GD section:

General Discussion Forum

**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://secondlife.i.lithium.com/skins/images/66F8F411258F7A185B949238F854556E/base/images/icon_tkb_board.png" border="0" alt="Knowledge Base" title="Knowledge Base" />
Second Life and real life discussions welcome here! Please follow the community guidelines.

Don't understand why you'd have gotten a notice for not posting about SL since that is clearly welcomed. Was it a while back? In the early months of this version of the forum there was a GD section but it was supposed to be strictly about SL; it was relatively recently that the rules changed to make this section more open.

I miss Suella and Scylla, too.  Suella did report in not too long ago and as you suggested she's doing her level best to ruin every Tory's day.  I think people just kind of burn out seeing the same things talked about; unless you enjoy repeating yourself it's kind of a drag seeing the same types of questions all the time.  It's fun when something new pops up, though. And of course right  now we're all on pins and needles wondering how the Nemesis/Death Star/Brown Dwarf crisis will all shake out: equinox in less than six weeks.:smileywink:

Hmm yes this was way back when the new website went live. A thread about bullying that I had started was deleted because it had nothing to do with SL. Since then I started visiting the forums less often and a lot of the old posters left at that time too. Glad to see they eased up on that though, perhaps is time to bring back the old fun Friday threads to get people to become active again.

Was that the one about the big kid who finally blew up after being punched around? If it's the same one, I do remember it. I even started a thread (something I do at least once or twice a year) about it, because I felt it was more than relevant to SL and shouldn't have been pulled without (as I recall) even an explanation.

I've been out of this particular loop for quite some time.  I left during the AR wars.  Pity the Friday thread concept has been demolished.   Actually, the best Friday threads were the ones that didn't start out that way at all, but happened to be posted close enough to a Friday to let havoc break loose.

• 8 months later...

Perrie Juran wrote:

cheeses.jpg

Darren Scorpio wrote:

Politics threads might bring Suella back. Feminist threads might bring Scyllia back (sorry forgot what her name was).

Well, this is the best way I know to tempt Suella.

You might attract Scyllia with an anti-bdsm rant.

I do miss Carole and her advise columns.

That cheese should have matured enough by now. Half for me to eat. Half to throw in David Cameron's smug face. Thanks!

Would love to stop and chat, but I'm busy preparing to ruin another Tory's day in a particularly tight local election ;)

(No, I'm not back - I just find it mildly amusing to pop back to be a sarcastic little so-and-so ever 6 months or so :D )

Darren Scorpio wrote:

You better start a survey or something, that seems to be safe.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4010 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.