Bought a skybox - but what now?

Deyadora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I purchased a skybox from a reputable business but there's a couple of things I don't understand, being very new to SL.

When I open my inventory and look in the file, it only containes a globe icon, which teleports me to the sales office. No one's on duty in the office, so I did do a search for the owner of the business and IM'd them about what I need to do next, but they're not online.

So I've been trying to figure it out for myself. I know I need to pay upfront rent somewhere, but there's nothing in the office to indicate where I should do that.

I know the skybox will have to be 'put' somewhere 'up there', but I've no idea where that is. Again, there's no information anywhere giving those details.

When I touch the image of the skybox I bought (pictures of it on the wall in the office), it gives me a sLurl that I can teleport to, which is great.

However, when I get there, there are two signs on the wall. One tells me, "To visit an available Skybox, use the teleporter" and the other one advises, "After rent is paid, the teleporter will then only work for you to insure your privac".

There's a box at every teleporter on each of the 4 walls in the room with names of tenants who've already paid their rent. Rightfully, I'm blocked from using those teleporters - but there's nothing to indicate where else I should go to find a teleporter that hasn't already been taken.

I've searched and searched for answers to this predicament, but it seems as though everyone else knows how this business works but me (no surprises there) - I haven't come across anything anywhere (yet) to indicate that other newcomers have experienced the same quandry.

Anyone able to put me out of my misery please?

Deyadora wrote:

I purchased a skybox from a reputable business but there's a couple of things I don't understand, being very new to SL.

When I open my inventory and look in the file, it only containes a globe icon, which teleports me to the sales office. No one's on duty in the office, so I did do a search for the owner of the business and IM'd them about what I need to do next, but they're not online.

So I've been trying to figure it out for myself. I know I need to pay upfront rent somewhere, but there's nothing in the office to indicate where I should do that.

I know the skybox will have to be 'put' somewhere 'up there', but I've no idea where that is. Again, there's no information anywhere giving those details.

When I touch the image of the skybox I bought (pictures of it on the wall in the office), it gives me a sLurl that I can teleport to, which is great.

However, when I get there, there are two signs on the wall. One tells me, "To visit an available Skybox, use the teleporter" and the other one advises, "After rent is paid, the teleporter will then only work for you to insure your privac".

There's a box at every teleporter on each of the 4 walls in the room with names of tenants who've already paid their rent. Rightfully, I'm blocked from using those teleporters - but there's nothing to indicate where else I should go to find a teleporter that hasn't already been taken.

I've searched and searched for answers to this predicament, but it seems as though everyone else knows how this business works but me (no surprises there) - I haven't come across anything anywhere (yet) to indicate that other newcomers have experienced the same quandry.

Anyone able to put me out of my misery please?

It sounds like you did not actually buy a skybox, but only a LM to a location where you can rent a skybox. What was the price?

Hi Pamela

Thank you for replying.

That would explain it. The skybox was free ($0L), but I understood that all I had to do was pay rent and the rest of the info would be provided.

Nowhere I can find any basic info - not even where to pay rent.

The owner logged in but didn't reply to my message from earlier on, so I'm guessing she's either incredibly busy or underwhelmingly disinterested in having to deal with someone learning the ropes.

Might be simpler for me to just rent an already established home of some description with no time-wasting mystery hunts required to find out basic information.

Have needlessly lost couple hours on this already but again, thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Sounds like you were sent to a "lobby" near the skyboxes for rent. Those boxes with peoples names are likely the payment boxes and if you dont see any box that says 'pay me' or 'vacancy' or whatever it might mean that all the skyboxes are rented.

It sounds like a place renting skyboxes all on the same parcel and stacked on top of each other in the sky. The cons are that you share prims and you cant set the viewing privacy. 

That place is also not selling skyboxes just renting them, if you want to buy a place you just buy the land parcel and you can build a skybox or a groundbox.

I recommend looking for a place that rents a single skybox on a parcel or just renting a parcel and making your own skybox. Usually if you teleport to such a place there will be a single rent box to pay. If its been rented it will say so or it will be asking you to pay rent if available. Try the SL in game search and use the specific tools for buying or renting parcels. The forums also have a section for rent/purchase of parcels.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Parcels-for-Rent-Mainland/bd-p/mainlandparcelsforrent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2912 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.