Block and blacklist?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've heard of blocking another avatar like muting, but what does blacklisting an avatar mean? Does it mean that they are placed on a bad list that all residents have access to? Or is it a personal use list you can add to of your own? On my viewer it not only has block, but block , blacklist and derender, i guess if it really necessary you would use this for a particularly bad avatar that you want to blot out completely.

Your list of blocked/blacklisted persons (or objects as they can be blocked too) is only visible to you. Other residents cannot see this list unless they have your password and can log in to your account. Since you mention the derender feature, I assume you are on Firestorm as the official viewer does not have such feature. Here's some information on the derender function and blacklist in Firestorm. 

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_derender

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_asset_blacklist

PaschaDmitriy wrote:

I've heard of blocking another avatar like muting, but what does blacklisting an avatar mean?

Blocking is muting.  Derendering means you can no longer see the avatar or object, temporarily, and blacklisting is the same as derendering only the avatar or object is added to your personal list and cannot be seen again by you until you take it off of that list.

...Dres

Hi Valerie, yes i am using the new Firestorm viewer and so far its been very good apart from one or two crashes but i think that is my internet provider, which isn't always so good :smileysad:. Thankyou for the information, I shall have a look at the links you sent, it certainly sounds like a useful feature should you need it, I love the derender part ive tried it on a bot,lol have a great day :matte-motes-smile:

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

MMMarcMM wrote:

sad part is, you cant really block them as they can still interact with you with objects and push you around no matter how much you block someone. which is pretty stupid if you ask me.

Which is why the "auto mute and derender everyone who doesn't worship you" brigade are basically idiots, it's USEFUL to see your enemies coming for you...

Muteing somebody is only really a good idea if they have left loads of  chat spamminfg , sound emiting crud behind when they left the sim and you personally are not a target, but that whole 'derender' thing, if you cannot see them, doesn't mean they are not there, and you can end up walking into them adding to the drama, and intensifying the feud.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Blacklisting totally de-renders an avi, you will not even see their name-tag. Assuming you are on the same sim and before i clean re-installed Firestorm i was still able to pick them up on the mini map as a dark grey/ black dot as opposed to the normal green markers, but i haven't checked the latest status, they may now be totally gone with my new viewer.

They will still also be listed on the Nearby Avatars list i believe, again assuming you are on the same land.  You can still therefore tell if they are 'there';  and if you have your mini-map up you can avoid "walking into them adding to the drama" and with Nearby Avatars you also have their distance - they are pretty easy to avoid if you are shrewd enough. The tools are there - use em!

Blacklisting is a great tool and i love this Firestorm function.  if you would rather not see anyone to begin with, why waste your GPU resources trying to draw their avatar? Cuts down on    graphics lag, no complexity to worry about, job done.  I WISH WE COULD DO IT IN RL TOO! *smiley faces*

Edited by xCaroleAnnex

• 2 years later...
On 5/4/2013 at 7:29 PM, PaschaDmitriy said:

Hi Valerie, yes i am using the new Firestorm viewer and so far its been very good apart from one or two crashes but i think that is my internet provider, which isn't always so good :smileysad:. Thankyou for the information, I shall have a look at the links you sent, it certainly sounds like a useful feature should you need it, I love the derender part ive tried it on a bot,lol have a great day :matte-motes-smile:

On 5/4/2013 at 7:07 PM, PaschaDmitriy said:

I've heard of blocking another avatar like muting, but what does blacklisting an avatar mean? Does it mean that they are placed on a bad list that all residents have access to? Or is it a personal use list you can add to of your own? On my viewer it not only has block, but block , blacklist and derender, i guess if it really necessary you would use this for a particularly bad avatar that you want to blot out completely.

the prob is when i derender with black list the names for the people that i derender don't showed up on the black list so how can i remove the name from the derender

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.