Avatar and Transparent Background

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

xIITaylorIIx wrote:

I have tried various times no, I still have to resort to the pen tool, especially around the hair and that's a nogo for me
:(

If you have Photoshop there is an excellent plugin which does a great job in extracting avatar from solid green background. Does pretty good job even in the hair too.

http://www.photoshopgreenscreen.com/

Just rez a prim backgroung, set the colour to green, and to have it to appear evenly lit make it full bright.

Put the avatar in front of that and start shooting. Go to Photoshop and use the plugin. And be amazed. :matte-motes-smile:

PS

There's a free version and Pro version available. I have used the free version and even it does wonderful job.

I do it with the background prim as well.

The best I could suggest is to make the picture as large as you can fit on the screen and at the higest resolution you can. Second, you might try turning off anti-aliasing which will probably look really horrifying at first but will completely separate your AV from the background letting you do a color replace in your graphics program.

When you put the new background in, then you should be able to enable anti-aliasing again and have it blend in seamlessly with the AV.

I haven't tried it personally so I'm not sure if it would work as good as it sounds on paper, but it might be worth a try.

Here is a sample what the http://www.photoshopgreenscreen.com/ plugin in Photoshop will do.

Left image: snapshot taken in SL against green background.
Middle image: avatar extracted from the green background with the Photoshop plugin.
Right image: new background placed in Photoshop for the avatar.

Phootshop-easy-green-screen-extraction.jpg

The plugin does very good job. Using it takes only few seconds - and the avatar is extracted. Fast as lightning.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.