Ask the CEO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

In respect for others on this thread, and in light of the fact that you continue to personally insult me by claiming I'm so much worse at understanding English than you ..

I hereby end my futile attempts to help you see your own bad habits.

(BTW: That term "futile attempts" means something like "trying to explain air to a mouth breather...")

Ok. You slink off without answering the perfectly simple question that I've asked 3 times, the answer to which would have shown you to have been in the wrong when you started this mud-slinging. That is, your mud-slinging was based on a false premise. But you slink off if you feel it's easier than admitting your error ;)

You must have been delighted when a few people popped in to suggest that we take it elsewhere, because it gave you just the excuse to back out that you were looking for :D

Phil Deakins wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

Good grief you two, get a room already  lol.

My popcorn stash is reaching critical level!

Lol. Aaw Whirly. I'm enjoying myself. I've got him over a barrel that he can't get off. He tries with lie/insult after lie/insult, but it won't alter the fact that I've asked him a question that he can't answer without admitting to being wrong - the wrongness was the start of this 'difference' - and I have to press it, no matter how much he squirms. It's not like we're calling each other nasty names, or anything like that. He's played his cards and he has a losing hand. I'm merely waiting for him to concede, or slink off.

Speaking of asking questions that can't be answered without admitting one is wrong - how will faster bandwidth improve framerates?

As far as I know, it can, but I don't insist on it.

Note: Unlike someone, else who shall be nameless, I don't mind being shown to be wrong, and I admit and accept it when it happens. The most recent time it happened was just 2 or 3 days ago. I was as blatantly wrong about something as Darrius is in this case.

Unlike watching an on-line movie, which can be helped by a faster connection speed, a 3D environment like Second Life is completely rendered on the end-user's machine and the internet connection only delivers the raw materials that the end-user's video card and CPU use to render the scene. Having the raw material arrive faster does nothing to speed the internal process of rendering each frame, which is what framerate measures.

What you said initially was the exact equivalent of your hearing someone say that it took them three hours and a bruised thumb to build their IKEA dresser and telling them, "Well, you should have the kit sent by rush shipping."

I presume Darrius took your initial reply as meaning, "Improving framerate in Second Life is in your hands," and he then ignored your inappropriate suggestion and instead referred to the only thing that the end user could do to improve framerate, which would involve buying better video hardware on their end.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

Good grief you two, get a room already  lol.

My popcorn stash is reaching critical level!

Lol. Aaw Whirly. I'm enjoying myself. I've got him over a barrel that he can't get off. He tries with lie/insult after lie/insult, but it won't alter the fact that I've asked him a question that he can't answer without admitting to being wrong - the wrongness was the start of this 'difference' - and I have to press it, no matter how much he squirms. It's not like we're calling each other nasty names, or anything like that. He's played his cards and he has a losing hand. I'm merely waiting for him to concede, or slink off.

Woah woah woah there!! This is the GD forum not the Adult one.. What you two do with barrels is your business alone.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

i have some connections in Rome
:)
...but i'm affraid i miss a "few'"  of the requirements

so i might need help of you

is there a course?... can i get short track?... ( already have a bachelor and master in theology

I find myself (yourself actually) in a bit of conundrum here. Cannonization is a posthumous thing, but my cannon doesn't actually kill you. I think we can make this work. As the High Priestess of whatever religion it is that I'm leading (an overstatment, I have no followers), I deem it proper to elevate you to sainthood without requiring your death. The only thing you must do is ignore your theological training, just like I've ignored mine. Given your degrees, you have far more to ignore than I do, but I have faith in you.

So, repeat after me...

I Alwin Alcott, don't mind being a saint.

That's it, I pronounce you Saint Alwin. You may now run around doing saintly stuff which, by definition, is anything you do from this day forward. I trust your example will make it easier for others to join your rank.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Unlike watching an on-line movie, which can be helped by a faster connection speed, a 3D environment like Second Life is completely rendered on the end-user's machine and the internet connection only delivers the raw materials that the end-user's video card and CPU use to render the scene. Having the raw material arrive faster does nothing to speed the internal process of rendering each frame, which is what framerate measures.

What you said initially was the exact equivalent of your hearing someone say that it took them three hours and a bruised thumb to build their IKEA dresser and telling them, "Well, you should have the kit sent by rush shipping."

Fair enough. I'm not yet convinced that bandwidth can't be partially responsible though. Some people have very low bandwidths, so could it be that a bandwidth of, say, 4mbs still won't have any effect on the SL framerate?

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

I presume Darrius took your initial reply as meaning, "Improving framerate in Second Life is in
your
hands," and he then ignored your inappropriate suggestion and instead referred to the only thing that the end user
could
do to improve framerate, which would involve buying better video hardware on their end.

That's correct and, if that's all he wrote about, none of this would have happened. But it wasn't all he wrote about. Before he even mentioned anything of the topic, he wrote an insult to me. That was the very first thing. Then he wrote about the video card, after which he criticised me, saying that I should have compassion and such because not everyone can afford to upgrade their video cards, as though I'd suggested upgrading the video card, but I never mentioned it. He's the one who mentioned it. It's all there in message 237, where it all started.

What really happened was this: Darrius wanted to attack me personally, probably because, over time, he's become jealous or envious of me, or maybe he simply doesn't like to think that I am better than him in some ways. He thought he'd spotted an opportunity to do it, but he hadn't. He made a complete **bleep**-up of it, and showed himself up in the process. Anyone with a reasonable degree of sense would have realised that straight away, backed off, and waited for a better opportunity. Instead he just went on an insulting and lying rampage without making any attempt whatsoever to justify his mistake. He's not a very gracious loser lol. Three times he declined from answering the very simple question I asked, because the only possible answer was to admit that he got it wrong, and he just couldn't bring himself to do that.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Fair enough. I'm not yet convinced that bandwidth can't be partially responsible though. Some people have very low bandwidths, so could it be that a bandwidth of, say, 4mbs still won't have any effect on the SL framerate?

My download speed is less than 6mbs (which is an improvement; it used to be around 3mbs) and I can get good framerates even with shadows on, assuming my settings are set appropriately for my video card and surroundings. Meanwhile, the poster you replied to said they had 100mbs speed.

Now let us analyze your post in question. First, here's what you were replying to:

It's a bit of a mystery why the performance of a 12 year old game is crappier than a modern AAA that has so much more complexity, shadows etc. Please enlighten us all.

Pretend Im Joannie new girl, I want to come to SL..what are the BEST specs I can do for my machine? Will I get an average fps higher than 24fps with my 100mb download speed?

Now here's your reply, in toto:

To be honest, you sound exactly like Joannie Newgirl, because you don't understand what SL is and why it's different from the others. Also you need faster broadband if you're only getting 24fps.

Let's take this sentence by sentence:

1) "To be honest, you sound exactly like Joannie Newgirl, because you don't understand what SL is and why it's different from the others."

Obviously the poster didn't understand or they wouldn't have said that it was a mystery and ask for enlightenment. Your reply did absolutely nothing to explain; basically, all you did was say, "Well, you don't know. Nyeah." In the absence of any sort of explanation this a pretty textbook example of disparagement.

2) Also you need faster broadband if you're only getting 24fps.

The poster already said they had broadband that is quite fast; even if broadband speed had a significant effect on Second Life framerates (which it doesn't, as a number of people have pointed out) it would appear that this was not their problem. Your statement simply can't be supported by facts.

I'm not going to say anything about you personally right now though. You've said pretty much everything an observer needs to make a conclusion already.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

My download speed is less than 6mbs (which is an improvement; it used to be around 3mbs) and I can get good framerates even with shadows on, assuming my settings are set appropriately for my video card and surroundings. Meanwhile, the poster you replied to said they had
100mbs
speed.

Now let us analyze your post in question. First, here's what you were replying to:

It's a bit of a mystery why the performance of a 12 year old game is crappier than a modern AAA that has so much more complexity, shadows etc. Please enlighten us all.

Pretend Im Joannie new girl, I want to come to SL..what are the BEST specs I can do for my machine? Will I get an average fps higher than 24fps with my 100mb download speed?

Now here's your reply,
in toto
:

To be honest, you sound exactly like Joannie Newgirl, because you don't understand what SL is and why it's different from the others. Also you need faster broadband if you're only getting 24fps.

Let's take this sentence by sentence:

1) "To be honest, you sound exactly like Joannie Newgirl, because you don't understand what SL is and why it's different from the others."

Obviously the poster
didn't
understand or they wouldn't have said that it was a mystery and ask for enlightenment. Your reply did
absolutely nothing
to explain; basically, all you did was say, "Well, you don't know. Nyeah.
"
In the absence of any sort of explanation this a pretty textbook example of disparagement.

Basically, that's true. The poster has been in SL for 2 years and didn't appear to understand why SL is a LOT different to similar-looking games. My reply wasn't my best
;)

2) Also you need faster broadband if you're only getting 24fps.

The poster already said they had broadband that is quite fast; even if broadband speed had a significant effect on Second Life framerates (which it doesn't, as a number of people have pointed out) it would appear that this was not their problem. Your statement simply can't be supported by facts.

I'd missed the poster's bandwidth. I amde a mistake.

I'm not going to say anything about you personally right now though. You've said pretty much everything an observer needs to make a conclusion already.

Well, from what I've seen of your posts in recent times, as far as disparaging people is concerned, I'd much rather have my nature than yours
;)
And I think that most people would too.

As far as Darrius is concerned, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.