Any ex-"Lemmings" freaks around?

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

(For those who don't know, Lemmings was a series of British computer games that were published in early to mid 90s.)

Today, I am a happy bunny :D Well, from yesterday, actually.

When the first set of Lemmings came out, I got it and did all 120 levels.

When the second set came out, I got that and did all those levels too.

When "Lemmings 2: The Tribes" came out, I got it and completed it - and I got see the lemmings sail away, bound for their new land - you only got to see that if you got gold awards in every level :) That was the best Lemmings game by far, for me.

In truth, I was a Lemmings addict.

Next came Lemmings Chronicles, which I got, but found that it wasn't as good as even the first two sets, so I didn't finish it. There were two more sets - a 3D one and a weird one - that never interested me.

What I didn't know before, and I've just discovered, is that a few people created copycat Lemmings games in the late 90s. Yesterday I downloaded one of them. It's just like the first two sets (called "Classical" in Tribes). It has 120 levels, divided in four groups - Fun, Tricky, Taxing, and Mayhem. I would have thought that these amatuer creations wouldn't be as good as the originals, but I was wrong. The graphics are slightly down on the originals but they are ok, and the puzzles are every bit as good. I'm only part way through the Tricky section and I've come across 2 or 3 puzzles that really did appear to be impossible - until I eventually cracked them.

My mind isn't into it like it was in the early 90s, but I'm thoroughly enjoying playing Lemmings again.

Hey! Don't knock hearing aids! I have two pairs of them. I don't hear the treble end as well as I used to, and that interferes with tv, so I got a pair of NHS ones - free. They are excellent quality too. Then I got a flier from SpecSavers (a top UK spectacles company), offering a pair that go into the ear canal, for as little as £495 There's nothing outside the ear, so I got a pair of those too. I use those when I'm out of the house if they might be useful, and the NHS pair for watching tv :)

Yay I love Lemmings, I managed to find a version of the classic recently for PC, it was great playing it again. Allot of the old games I liked in the 80's and 90's often turn out to be better in my memory, when I actually play them again they are rubbish and it kind of spoils the memory. Lemmings i'm glad to say has stood up to the test of time and I have got my seven year old son playing it now.

I still have the original up the loft along with my Amiga....in a box behind the Betamax video, on top of the Squariel :matte-motes-big-grin: 

If the one you recently got is the original that someone has made work on a Windows PC, I don't suppose you have a URL for it? I'd love to get it. I only ever played them on a dos PC and I was surprised to learn recently that they were originally written for the Amiga.

I did manage to download the full Lemmings Tribes, and it runs too, but the mouse doesn't operate. I'll still do it all though. That was by far the best of them, imo.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4505 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.