Account on Administrative Hold

Macadamia1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So on 2 of my alts (which I'm currently unable to use) my account is locked with no notice or any explantion. Not being a complete novice in SL I submitted support tickets on both of them. Over a week later I recieve the following response on only 1 of these accounts:

Greetings,

This email is notification that Linden Lab has terminated your access to the Second Life virtual world due to severe or repeated violations of the Second Life Terms of Service or Community Standards. Your account has been permanently disabled. Depending on the nature of the recorded violations, additional alternate or household accounts may also have been disabled. Per the Terms of Service, you may not return to Second Life on any account, new or existing.
This concludes our investigation of your account. Please consider the matter resolved, and no further communications will be sent.

Sincerely,
Customer Support
Linden Lab

The entire Second Life terms of service can be found here: http://secondlife.com/tos
-------------

I know for a fact I've not broken the TOS, I've barely used either avatar only purchasing L$ with them. My other avatars (those used for roleplaying and building) still work and I've not broken any TOS on them either. 

Telephoning has proved pointless as all those on the telephones can tell me is it's locked. They don't know why, and they don't know what sort of time frame I should expect for any kind of response. 

I'm fustrated as hell, and pretty pissed off at this point. I've been playing Secondlife on and off for nearly 8 years with no issues and then this.. 

So my question is, what do I do now? (I've already submitted another support ticket but given the first response I got was basically telling me I'm screwed I'm not feeling particularly hopeful). How does this even happen??

Macadamia1 wrote:

I know for a fact I've not broken the TOS, I've barely used either avatar
only purchasing L$ with them
. My other avatars (those used for roleplaying and building) still work and I've not broken any TOS on them either. 

Just a guess but if you used accounts just to purchase $L's and then passed them to another account, that looks like money laundering, clearly against the RL law.  That will get you and all your accounts permanent bans.  You are breaking the TOS now by creating another account, which are not allowed to do if you were banned.  Your accounts are not be locked, they will be deleted along with any assets they have.

If that is the reason, then I am not surprised that LL banned you as they have to protect themselves.  If t hey knew something like this is going on and did nothing they could face legal charges.  Apparently their decision is final too as that letter doesn't give you the opportunity to appeal. 

Of course it may have been another reason, no one has access to your account records to see.  Only you and LL know. They do not ban accounts without a very good reason especially without offering an appeal.  This type of ban is reserved the most serious cases of TOS violation, and/or RL law breaking.

"Just a guess but if you used accounts just to purchase $L's and then passed them to another account, that looks like money laundering, clearly against the RL law. "

Money laundering requires me to be taking money in and out. Not the case if Im simply spending it on the SL marketplace, so not against any RL laws. LL can see where the money has come in from so I wouldnt expect that to be their issue. 

"You are breaking the TOS now by creating another account, which are not allowed to do if you were banned.  Your accounts are not be locked, they will be deleted along with any assets they have."

I've not created any new accounts. As I said in the OP, my other accounts appart from 2 are still working. 

-

"Of course it may have been another reason, no one has access to your account records to see.  Only you and LL know. They do not ban accounts without a very good reason especially without offering an appeal.  This type of ban is reserved the most serious cases of TOS violation, and/or RL law breaking."

If you know this then please feel free to enlighten me. Do you know of other people this has happened to? what did they do that was the issue? I cannot think of anything I've done that could be the cause of the rather final response I recieved without any reason.

Macadamia1 wrote:

Do you know of other people this has happened to? what did they do that was the issue? I cannot think of anything I've done that could be the cause of the rather final response I recieved without any reason.

My account was once put on admin hold due to LL's failure to put in place suitable business logic in the Marketplace to prevent innocent people (that would be me) from being the RECIPIENT of alleged fraudulently obtained funds.

They never did prove it, I think they owe me the L$27,000,000 from the mystery shopper.

Trust GD to come up with utter pants :matte-motes-sour:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

if you used accounts just to purchase $L's and then passed them to another account, that looks like money laundering, clearly against the RL law.

Ludicrous. Loads of people buy Ls thru a main and then disseminate them across avatars / give money to friends / tip venues, etc.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Your accounts are not be locked, they will be deleted along with any assets they have.

Er, no. More alarmist nonsense. Macadamia - try logging your banned AVs onto Second Life BETA (you can access this thru Firestorm). Odds on, each AV will rez with full inventories. LL rarely completely delete an account; most ARE still on hold, so don't lose hope, despite what the email says.

Weird that the email they sent you doesn't specify an 'offence' though. They normally make mention of that, so you can at least argue the toss with them.

Good luck in getting your account(s) back! If it's any consolation, I went through the same thing once and persistence paid off and they restored my main :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

When I first read your post and your comment about only buying $L with the alts it did make me go "hmmmmmmmmm," but not knowing any other details I did not want to cast stones.

We get three kinds of people with banned accounts posting in the Forum:

1.  People who admit their wrong doing but think LL should still allow them in SL.

2.  People who claim to have done no wrong but when we dig we usually can find buried bodies.

3.  People who may possibly really done no wrong.  Which I guess is possible.

Regardless, LL seems absolute about their decision.  And I agree, not knowing what the offense(s) may be is a booger.  I don't understand LL's stance on this other than some potential liability that they may incur if they were wrong.

Whiskazz wrote:

Trust GD to come up with utter pants :matte-motes-sour:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

if you used accounts just to purchase $L's and then passed them to another account, that looks like money laundering, clearly against the RL law.

Ludicrous. Loads of people buy Ls thru a main and then disseminate them across avatars / give money to friends / tip venues, etc.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Your accounts are not be locked, they will be deleted along with any assets they have.

Er, no. More alarmist nonsense. Macadamia - try logging your banned AVs onto Second Life BETA (you can access this thru Firestorm). Odds on, each AV will rez with full inventories. LL rarely completely delete an account; most ARE still on hold, so don't lose hope, despite what the email says.

Weird that the email they sent you doesn't specify an 'offence' though. They normally make mention of that, so you can at least argue the toss with them.

Good luck in getting your account(s) back! If it's any consolation, I went through the same thing once and persistence paid off and they restored my main :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Actually it isn't ludicrous if large sums of RL money are involved and the OP didn't say how much he was buying or what he was doing with it in his OP.

People have been banned and had their avatars deleted if it is a life ban.  Some may not be deleted right away pending any appeals, but LL isn't not giving the option of an appeal. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.