Account hacked by a bot?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok 2 nights ago signed out and i kept spamming all my groups, and everyone is yelling at me and it's all happening when i'm offline. I tried changing my password but it's still happening i really don't want to delete my account or have it disabled because of this but idk what to do and it keeps happening in every viewer i switch to.  IDK what to do pls help me :((

this seems to be the message i'm getting from everyone and it appeared in my email that was linked to my secondlife account

AmyRose Starfall: Hello, friend   Good news for you! I found a wonderful website walafa.com and bought a laptop. How amazing, they take 5 days to send to my home. On their web, they have many products. If you need to buy something, you can go to look and check it  Thanks

It's also possible someone is logging you in and sending the spam manually.  You've changed your password and it's still happening?

You might consider downloading and running one of the spyware/keylogger applications, like Malwarebyte's Ant-malware or Spybot - Seach & Destroy in order to make sure nobody is accessing your computer from anywhere else.

i wonder if it's some relay with someone that knows your ID..i saw someone do this..it all comes in that botty like green chat..

this girl was messing with this one dj we knew and she had some script that would make it look like they were saying things but it was her entering the words using their ID..

are they getting this in IM's or general chat?

It's easy enough to write a script that will spoof someone's name in chat or in IMs to another avatar, but I can't see how it would work with spamming group chat, because scripts can't post to groups. Only avatars can do that.

The simplest explanation -- which is why I asked about what happens if someone clicks the OP's name in the group chat -- is that someone's adopted her name as a display name and is using that to post.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

It's easy enough to write a script that will spoof someone's name in chat or in IMs to another avatar, but I can't see how it would work with spamming group chat, because scripts can't post to groups. Only avatars can do that.

The simplest explanation -- which is why I asked about what happens if someone clicks the OP's name in the group chat -- is that someone's adopted her name as a display name and is using that to post.

I think you maybe right about that because everyone gave me this Message, if i sent both my display name and my sl name would be showing but it's only my sl name.

AmyRose Starfall: Hello, friend   Good news for you! I found a wonderful website walafa.com and bought a laptop. How amazing, they take 5 days to send to my home. On their web, they have many products. If you need to buy something, you can go to look and check it  Thanks

The style of operation does seem like it is using a bot, as it seems to have a little more capabilities then an inworld LSL-scripted item could do as a stand-alone...

I would be unsure the account is hacked, but yes perhaps it could be at risk. Keep in mind that the bot needn't access her account to do this (simple to execute through access to friends list data in conjunction with an inworld scripted object renaming itself to name-match). The fact it is promoting a web store makes me think of some organized malware-bot operation, not an individual hacker.

Please do mention this issue to Linden Lab support, you can file a support ticket here at SL support.

Phoebe Avro wrote:

Just trying to get your post count higher bee? lol

:smileyindifferent:

i spend the majority of my time here helping people in the answers section.

for people offering their time and knowledge to help a poster it is preferable having all the info in one place. why, shouldn't have to be explained. when people do post duplicates it's common to tie the threads together this way. how someone can read something else into this is beyond me.

I got a spam message today from someone I didn't know, and when I looked at her profile it seemed unlikely she was interested in spamming for the website link in the message, so I contacted her to let her know. Others had informed her as well. She is calling LL now to inform them.

The message was exactly like any other IM.

I hate to be dumb, but if it happens again what category would i put this under?

WADE1 Jya wrote:

The style of operation does seem like it is using a bot, as it seems to have a little more capabilities then an inworld LSL-scripted item could do as a stand-alone...

I would be unsure the account is hacked, but yes perhaps it could be at risk. Keep in mind that the bot needn't access her account to do this (simple to execute through access to friends list data in conjunction with an inworld scripted object renaming itself to name-match). The fact it is promoting a web store makes me think of some organized malware-bot operation, not an individual hacker.

Please do mention this issue to Linden Lab support, you can file a support ticket here at

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.