You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

just a link will not steal money, you most likely yourself entered your passwords. Or enabled auto log on for paypal. This is why it's so important to CHECK the adressbar.

You will most likely not be able to find the source, send a ticket to LL and let them investigate. Your account will most likely go on hold, but it will be inspected closely.

This not 'hacking' but you being not careful enough with what you click and where you fill in your password.

No matter how many new accounts you create, the moment you do this again.,.,and again.,.your account will be taken over. Not hacked,  you simply hand it over, on a silver plate. Just like that.

You are correct, this is not "hacking" but "phishing."

Around Xmas 2012 it was hot and heavy in SL but it's been a while since I'd heard of any major incidents.

Long discussion in this thread and what to watch out for:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Phishing-Scheme-Dont-Click-The-Link/td-p/1750713

Hello Elisa

Besides doing just what other people in this thread has very wisely advised you, how about this?... Delete your payment info from the account that has been hacked,  then, open a new account/avatar, with a different email address, and use it ONLY to have your Paypal linked there and buy lindens

From now on, be always extremely careful with the links you open. To click in random links is the way in which most -If not all- accounts get hacked

I suggest that you run a full malware scan on your machine.

There are numerous mechanisms whereby sloppy users can be convinced to allow trojans etc to install themselves.

And SL and PayPal will be the least of your worries.

Perrie Juran wrote:

You are correct, this is not "hacking" but "phishing."

Around Xmas 2012 it was hot and heavy in SL but it's been a while since I'd heard of any major incidents.

Long discussion in this thread and what to watch out for:

Actually, Perry, just last night I got three links in 3 groupchats with an the obvious fake MP url. In all 3 cases the 'resident' was the same known person to me, as they are in three small groups (land and friend groups with no more than 5 members).

I guessed the person spamming the link, aka the account wasnt even aware this was happening with their account. By now their account is on hold.

The same old trick: you click on the MP link you think a friend sends you, you log in..and next thing you know your account is taken over and used to spam some more to your groups and friends, who all think they know you enough to click it.

Maybe it has a revival, I don't know. The only thing I know is that I see these links and recognise it as not being a legit MP URL (last nights case had the 'altvista.org.whatnot' as extra to SecondLife and so on) . Also  I usually do not just click on links anyway AND in the rare case I would:...I don't login.

It's not a one-click scam. And it is not hacking.

As someone mentioned, change your email password also. Create a password unrelated to your life - do not use family names or pet names. Or anything involving important dates. Use at least one UPPERCASE letter and one number. At least 8 characters long. This makes brute force attacks take so long its really not worth the hassle. Plus most systems have anti brute force mechinisms in place.

A lot of phishing sites can and do try to install malicious software in the background without you knowing about it. A large part of online security is the browser you use. For example - do not use Internet Explorer. It is full of so many holes it is rediculous. Firefox or Chromium based web browsers are probably the better ones. (I say chromium based rather than Google Chrome because many people have issues with googles privicy standards... or lack of).

Malware scanner - maleware bytes - is pretty much the "go to" for malware removal/detection.

For anti-virus, really is no need to pay for it and keep away from Norton and Mcafee. They are well known for being... well... not very good. Norton for example injects ads into webpages and causes DNS errors so pages fail to load when attempting to click a link from google search.

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/ - or if you do not trust that - search google for "anti virus testing labs". There are a few very good organisations that test all of the main AV software every month and rate them based on their "real world" findings. Unbiast findings. Each AV vendor will tell you that they catch all viruses. This is not the case. Though avoid Avast as they have a habbit of releasing buggy updates which can seriously damage your installation of windows.

A software firewall can be useful. Not to stop incoming intrusions but to warn you of programs trying to execute other actions or access the internet without your knowledge. These are not 100% secure and can be disabled by some viruses/malware - but many do not disable them because it is a trigger for detection.

If you wish to go further, then changing your DNS settings in networks to a service such as Comodo or similar. A DNS server translates between a domain name and the IP address. Domain names are needed by people, and the IP address is needed by computers. Comodo DNS will block well known phishing sites before you even get there. 

There are many software companies who perport to make your computer secure. In reality they are malicious. Always be careful and research other peoples comments on forums etc first.

The main thing... common sense. Do not even click any links that you are not confident are safe. Even if you enter no details at all and close the page - the damage may have already been done.

Hope that helps a little at least.

TL;DR; Have you not read a book? The above post is not long at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.