A funny (sad?) side-effect of display names

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently I logged in and saw an old toast that told me that somebody tried to give me something.

I was in a hurry to clear all those tiny messages, and since I didn't recognize the person and didn't know what the thing was, I just refused it. I figured I was being safe.

Then when I looked in my email I saw that the thing was a gift someone had given me through the Marketplace.

But again I was in a hurry, so I just deleted the email, and now it's gone forever, which is too bad, because yesterday I realized what probably happened.

There is someone in SL whose display name is Victoria and someone meant to give her a gift. When they paid for this item, they just sent it to Victoria, which is me, not her.

This happened once before but I didn't connect until it was too late.

I guess there is nothing to be done except to say be careful when you're giving gifts!

Someone I met recently wanted to show me something she had built on her private land. She IM'd me and told me that she added me to the access list and then logged off. I had to wait till she came back on to tell her that she had used my display name, and had given a complete stranger access to her private lot.  :P

What Ansariel said!  :matte-motes-grin:

Turns out that intentional impersonation wasn't the big deal we thought it would be. Instead we have annoying stuff like this, or my pet peeve, trying to make out a string of funky unicode characters and deciding what to call the avatar underneath it.

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

What Ansariel said!  :matte-motes-grin:

Turns out that intentional impersonation wasn't the big deal we thought it would be. Instead we have annoying stuff like this, or my pet peeve, trying to make out a string of funky unicode characters and deciding what to call the avatar underneath it.

When I see that I just call them "hieroglyphs". Then there's the people who think they're being cute by having their display name upside down (yeah, I'm looking at you, Oskar LInden :matte-motes-tongue: )

if the name doesn't show up in my friends list then i don't accept things anyways..

both names will show up there..it's just a click away..if the item has me curious then i'll search the name on the search..

if i'm in that much of a hurry that i don't have time for either of those options  then i'll save the notice for later..

display names haven't really impacted my SL at all..

bad decisions because of haste have always impacted my SL

i couldn't tell you how many times i have denied something or accepted something because i was in a hurry hehehehe

I have a problem with the fact that on my account in sales transactions it only shows a display name.  So Suzy bought an item twice by mistake.  I want to let her know and refund her for the duplicate but how do you find the right Suzy in search when there are hundreds of Suzys.   I would like to see the real avatar name on sales transaction history.  This is a huge problem in my book.

If I am missing some setting or something that would allow me to see the full real avatar names on my sales history please let me know..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

if the name doesn't show up in my friends list then i don't accept things anyways..

both names will show up there..it's just a click away..if the item has me curious then i'll search the name on the search..

if i'm in that much of a hurry that i don't have time for either of those options  then i'll save the notice for later..

i couldn't tell you how many times i have denied something or accepted something because i was in a hurry hehehehe

Yes, I don't have an issue with display names, and I don't think there's really anything I can do now. Next time someone sends me a gift for another Victoria, I'll make sure I write down their name so I can at least tell them what happened.

If I refuse the gift, maybe they can ask the vendor to send it to the right person.

Victoria wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

Yes, I don't have an issue with display names, and I don't think there's really anything I can do now. Next time someone sends me a gift for another Victoria, I'll make sure I write down their name so I can at least tell them what happened.

If I refuse the gift, maybe they can ask the vendor to send it to the right person.

one thing i like about the newer viewers is that i can choose a lot easier which notice i want to open..they come up in a list on the bottom right corner..the ones that i don't want to close that maybe i am not sure about will stay there even on the next log in..

it's a nice feature for things like that..i never liked them on the blue dropdowns because they were always on the screen kind of screaming at me to make a decision lol

i hate that kind of pressure lol

Boaz Sands wrote:

I have a problem with the fact that on my account in sales transactions it only shows a display name.  So Suzy bought an item twice by mistake.  I want to let her know and refund her for the duplicate but how do you find the right Suzy in search when there are hundreds of Suzys.   I would like to see the real avatar name on sales transaction history.  This is a huge problem in my book.

If I am missing some setting or something that would allow me to see the full real avatar names on my sales history please let me know..

well if it was an IM then just look at their profile to see what suzy it is..send the item or refund through their profile option to give them something or pay them from the pay button..

if they only sent a notecard then go to properties of the notecard and then choose the profile button and do the same..=)

Chris Norse wrote:

I grabbed the resident name for Chris.   He has been logged in once since the names came out.  In these past 9 months or so, he has gotten 3 partnering requests.  

Do you remember whether they were from the same person?

I imagine two people... the one who sent the request flattened by your refusal (or did you accept?) and the other who is waiting for the request and wondering why.

Chris Norse wrote:

So far they have been different accounts. The last  account was a month old and had nothing in the profile except the name and rez date.

Of course I accepted.  I also responded in the acceptance message that  I wanted to have a large family of prim babies.

I'm glad you didn't disappoint them.

Chris Norse wrote:

I grabbed the resident name for Chris.   He has been logged in once since the names came out.  In these past 9 months or so, he has gotten 3 partnering requests.  

Really? My single name Quinn alt, who has only ever logged in twice, has never received a partner request. Now she's going to feel all unloved. :matte-motes-crying:

I grabbed the user name "Perrie" when they first started.

What is puzzling to me, but I've never really dug into it, is that we are unable to "friend" each other.

We can view each others profiles but the 'send friend request' has always been greyed out.

We can IM each other, send inventory to each other, TP one another, but we are unable to friend each other.  We really are feeling that Linden Lab is trying to Amplify our split personality.

Quinn Morani wrote:

Chris Norse wrote:

Really? My single name Quinn alt, who has only ever logged in twice, has never received a partner request. Now she's going to feel all unloved. :matte-motes-crying:

I went to look at your profile to compare it to Chris'. They are not much different except for the partner (I thought he was kidding!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.