A Confederacy of Dunces?

Dresden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

AlecDeBoeuil wrote:

InnulaZenovka wrote:

If
the babies have been "looking at faces and deciding who to trust," then,
in general,
I'd expect
them to prefer looking at people who resemble their parents and immediate family, regardless of how
attractive or unattractive
their parents may appear to
the rest of us
.   They know their parents look after them, but most other people are going to be an unknown quantity to them.

I'm not familiar with the research,
but Maddy's summary suggests that babies apparently prefer looking at attractive faces and are more willing to trust
pretty
people, regardless of what their parents look like.  
 If that really is the case,
then it suggests something other than knowing who to trust is responsible for their reactions.

I'd question how confident the researchers could be
that very young babies are expressing preferences about what they look at or whom they trust, but that's another question altogether.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions in criticising my informed criticism of the research, Innula.

Read the papers THEN revise your conclusions.

Oh, and WHO DECIDES what is attractive and unattractive? "Adults". What sort of adults? Blind adults? Idiot adults? Paedophile adults? I could go on . . . but then I might have to wonder who "the rest of us" were. To say nothing of the relation between "attractive" and "pretty". How many fathers would admit to being "pretty", do you reckon?

Or maybe you are actually agreeing with me about what a crock of ***bleep** Madelaine's example is.

Alec - it when people make things up to satisfy their own bigotry

I can't follow your suggestion and read the research since no one has provided a reference, as far as I can see.

It doesn't really matter, though, because I was primarily questioning the proposition that babies prefer looking at images of attractive people.   Obviously researchers can't ask the babies what they like to look at, so presumably they're inferring the babies' preferences from something else they've observed, and I wonder how confident they can be in their inferences.

If babies do, in fact, have any particular preferences about what sort of faces they look at, I -- like you, I think -- would expect them to prefer looking at people who, attractive or not, look familiar and resemble their care-givers, who will normally be their immediate family.  

However, first I would want to consider the evidence that led the researchers to the conclusions that Maddy outlined, since I'm not at all persuaded about very young children being able to express preferences particularly clearly.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about rational

according to Mr Keirsey apparently I am one of the fewer people in the  whole world who is rational. Is only about 5-10 % of us who are rational. apparently

the biggest group of people apparently are guardians according to Mr Keirsey

there most important attribute, these guardians, apparently is their wanting for preciseness. apparently. They get confused when they dont see it, which annoys them. their own confusion annoys them more than the impreciseness they see. apparently. So they project their annoyance onto others, as the cause of their annoyance. When the case is that they are actual annoyed bc they are confused

(:

www.keirsey.com

irihapeti wrote:

about rational

according to Mr Keirsey apparently I am one of the fewer people in the  whole world who is rational. Is only about 5-10 % of us who are rational. apparently

That's funny, I had always assumed you were female.

Alec - to understand rationales, not just be rational

AlecDeBoeuil wrote:

irihapeti wrote:

about rational

AlecDeBoeuil wrote:

irihapeti wrote:

about rational

you are truly a guardian

irihapeti wrote:

you are truly a guardian

Just call me Star Lord

Alec - to take a worldly persona of guardian, as gods are so difficult for you mortals to comprehend

PS I guess it's that my natural ubiquitous omnipotent infallibility that you find hard to grasp

PPS Or is it my willingness to share and display it?

irihapeti wrote:

about rational

there most important attribute, these guardians, apparently is their wanting for preciseness. apparently. They get confused when they dont see it, which annoys them. their own confusion annoys them more than the impreciseness they see. apparently. So they project their annoyance onto others, as the cause of their annoyance. When the case is that they are actual annoyed bc they are confused

(:

You might just as well post the Daily Horoscope.

Derek Torvalar wrote:

irihapeti wrote:

about rational

(:

You might just as well post the Daily Horoscope.

being a rational. apparently. I am quite skeptical of the methodology that Mr Keirsey used to catergorise me

jejejjeje (:

ps

from your equating of Mr Keirsey with an astrologer then this indicates that you are a Guardian as well. apparently

is also a trait of Guardians to put things neatly into boxes. So they can find them later on. apparently

(:

irihapeti wrote:

ps

from your equating of Mr Keirsey with an astrologer then this indicates that you are a Guardian as well. apparently

is also a trait of Guardians to put things neatly into boxes. So they can find them later on. apparently

(:

No, it indicates that I consider him to be a charlatan and snake-oil salesman. And not a very original one at that, as he has misappropriated the Meyers-Briggs, in much the same way most new PhD candidates merely rename and restate time worn conclusions and then pay to have them published on the net. You can put a pig in a silk gown but at the end of the day it's still sus.

There are no Types.

Dres,

Of all people, you know the answer to that question and the reasons why.

As an aside, eBay and Amazon have badly damaged their reputations worldwide by adopting an authoritarian, paternalistic and blatantly political position under duress from social trolls.

I never thought things would come to this. Being a Vet...... the things going on now is not the reason I agreed to fight for this country. No way are you going to make everyone happy. I also doubt very seriously that removal of the confederate flag is going to fix anything, in fact - its making it worse.....

EdgeSteel wrote:

I never thought things would come to this. Being a Vet...... the things going on now is not the reason I agreed to fight for this country. No way are you going to make everyone happy. I also doubt very seriously that removal of the confederate flag is going to fix anything, in fact - its making it worse.....

I don't get it.  Are you suggesting that the reason you fought for this country was so that state governments could continue flying a treasonous, racist flag in public spaces?

It's as if whole swaths of idiots honestly believe that the removal of such contentious imagery from public sites and the inventory of a few, private companies induces their disenfranchisement... it most certainly does not.

...Dres

Deltango Vale wrote:

Dres,

Of all people, you know the answer to that question and the reasons why.

You may have gotten me confused with someone who is clairvoyant.  I have no way of knowing how anyone will answer a question before they've answered it.

Deltango Vale wrote:

As an aside, eBay and Amazon have badly damaged their reputations worldwide by adopting an authoritarian, paternalistic and blatantly political position under duress from social trolls.

Yeah... how dare they exercise their right to discontinue selling products they deem to be offensive?  I'm sure they'll be driven out of business within the week.

...Dres

• 2 weeks later...

How is the Flag Racial ???? Because the KKK an the Skinheads Fly it ???? How is the Flag about Slavery ???? Let me take this time to give you a lil History Lesson . The First American President Owned Slaves ,2nd there was NO confederate Battle Flag on the Ships that brought them Over to Our Country , Thats right it was the Federal Flag ( Old Glory ) ,3rd When did the Confederate Battle Flag Come Live and whisper in that mans Ear to Go kill Black people ? When did the Confederate Battle Flag Come Alive an pull the Trigger of ANY WEAPON ? You Wanna Ban a Heritage Cuz you are Offended , Then DONT move to the Southern States . The Confederate Battle Flag is not Rasist , it has NOTHING to do with Black or White ? Not like you people are Trying to make it out to be ! The Confederate Battle Flag is about Heritage Not Hate . If the Confederate Flag is Hate then I Guess the American Flag needs to be Ban as Well right alone with Every other Flag .! For every other Flag in the World was Flying when they went to war an Killed Didnt kinds of Ppl . For Example , the American Flag has Killed , Germans, Jews ,Japanese , Africans , English . So Think to yourselves Really the Flag is Racist cuz the KKK an the Skin Heads Fly it . It Really Sounds like all those that are fighting to get the Confederate Flag Ban Needs to Learn Really what that Flag mean an Nedds to relearn their History . An for those of you that want to Judge me Cuz i wrote this an I fly the Confederate Flag Well you can Stick it where the Sun Doesnt Shine . Because it will be a COLD DAY IN HELL BEFORE YOU GET EITHER ONE OF MY FLAG ! Bastards

Devlinwolf wrote:

How is the Flag Racial ???? Because the KKK an the Skinheads Fly it ???? How is the Flag about Slavery ???? Let me take this time to give you a lil History Lesson . The First American President Owned Slaves ,2nd there was NO confederate Battle Flag on the Ships that brought them Over to Our Country , Thats right it was the Federal Flag ( Old Glory ) ,3rd When did the Confederate Battle Flag Come Live and whisper in that mans Ear to Go kill Black people ? When did the Confederate Battle Flag Come Alive an pull the Trigger of ANY WEAPON ? You Wanna Ban a Heritage Cuz you are Offended , Then DONT move to the Southern States . The Confederate Battle Flag is not Rasist , it has NOTHING to do with Black or White ? Not like you people are Trying to make it out to be ! The Confederate Battle Flag is about Heritage Not Hate . If the Confederate Flag is Hate then I Guess the American Flag needs to be Ban as Well right alone with Every other Flag .! For every other Flag in the World was Flying when they went to war an Killed Didnt kinds of Ppl . For Example , the American Flag has Killed , Germans, Jews ,Japanese , Africans , English . So Think to yourselves Really the Flag is Racist cuz the KKK an the Skin Heads Fly it . It Really Sounds like all those that are fighting to get the Confederate Flag Ban Needs to Learn Really what that Flag mean an Nedds to relearn their History . An for those of you that want to Judge me Cuz i wrote this an I fly the Confederate Flag Well you can Stick it where the Sun Doesnt Shine . Because it will be a COLD DAY IN HELL BEFORE YOU GET EITHER ONE OF MY FLAG ! Bastards

u mad bro

q; (:

irihapeti wrote:

Devlinwolf wrote:

u mad bro

q; (:

Another of Torley's alts . . .

Alec - the way his new therapy isn't working

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.