The game Linden Realms and the absurdity of being punished for being slower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The game Linden Realms allows all avatars using 10% more speed for all animations , aside from the fact that they use mini avatars to run faster at the expense of others. That's not fair. I use minimal scripts and can I report , but I feel like an idiot , because when it comes to cloud and put me out of the game, who is running faster than I is collecting and winning.
I believe that Linden Lab should review this issue.

a smaller avatar does not move any faster than a larger one and animations do not change how fast an avatar moves. a small or invisible avatar in that game is only a form of mild trolling, so that a new player will be surprised that crystals disappear, when another avatatr they didn't see coming gets there first. the mini map is one easy way to defeat that.

it is absolutely possible to do well at that game without scripted boosts or other cheat attempts. players who learn the game terrain, and maybe more important learn how to use standard viewer features well, will gain the most advantages.

ObviousAltIsObvious wrote:

it is absolutely possible to do well at that game without scripted boosts or other cheat attempts. players who learn the game terrain, and maybe more important learn how to use standard viewer features well, will gain the most advantages.

I have to agree.

Study the terrain and placement of crystals. Concetrate on those areas. Timing is also a factor (duh).

In one of the recent renditions of Realms, I kept in mind the locations of crystal fields. I would come back and start collecting at my own speed. So, some moe comes along and beats me to a higher value crystal? It's not a deal breaker.

I found Realms a good way to get some L$ if I took my time. On a good day, I could exchange crystals for 250-400L$.

The words of a former US President (via Will Ferrell) sums it well: "strategery" is key.

Tiny avatars don't increase speed, the only advantage they give is that they are a smaller targets for the rock monsters, and there are a few spots (rocks, and trees) with bad physics shapes that tinys avatars can get around or under. 

I don't use mouse view very often but I do in the corn field and it seems to me that it's faster or easier to turn in mouse view, that might allow some one to move faster especially if there are lots of turns to be made, and a tiny avatar is closer to the ground so it's point of view would be level with the crystals making aiming at the easier.  On the other hand being in mouse view close to the ground makes it harder to see over the top of a hill to see what's on the other side. 

The cloud monsters are suppose to stop people from flying, but all so can sometimes detect people if they are fall or jumping off cliffs, it's just something you have to be careful about.   Some times I've even been attacked by a cloud for being teleported when I was hit by a rock monster, that's really annoying!  Quickest way to get back in game is as soon as you see a cloud after you just teleport to the portal park before the cloud has time to kick you out. 

Winning in Linden Realms isen't about out running some one, winning is when you find an empty sim all to yourself, once I got really lucky and had an entire realm to my self to 2 hours. 

• 2 months later...

Lexia Moonstone wrote: 

The cloud monsters are suppose to stop people from flying, but all so can sometimes detect people if they are fall or jumping off cliffs, it's just something you have to be careful about.   Some times I've even been attacked by a cloud for being teleported when I was hit by a rock monster, that's really annoying!

Based on what i witnessed today the clouds aren't doing a good job they are supposed to stop people using speed tools too i was singled out by a griefer (it's always me the griefers target) who was using some speed tool that was also spamming a link to circle me and prevent me getting any crystals they kept getting clouded at which point you're supposed to get teleported home and they never did just kept singling me out for a griefing till they managed to get me teleported home

Mini-avatars move at the same speed as anyone else -- 3.2 metres per second if they are walking on the level and 5.13 metres per second if they are running.  See Voluntary Movement Speeds in the wiki.

They seem to move faster than do larger avatars, but that's just because they are covering a longer distance in proportion to their body size.   

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.