The Forums Are Far Too Boring

Magnus Brody

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think the title says it.  I remember some brilliant, fascinating discussions here once. 

What do we have lately? 

- OMG I think voting things are unfair and my mummy agreed

- Things are really laggy and I'm too stupid to realise my comp is basically a pile of outdated rubbish

- What is the best graphics card because, really I want to boast about the one I am buying

- I complained about something on marketplace and the seller has banned me.

Long time since, when the general discussion forum was removed I was one of those campaiging it be brought back, with the benefit of hindsight - good call ;-)

You have a point. The forums are not what they could be (I am not allowed to say why). But among the dross there are quite a few smart, ironic, slyly witty posters. And of course the saintly ones over in Answers who try with amazing success to parse some of the most unintelligible posts imaginable.

ETA You left out the one about us all stealing a mod.

i so agree

was absolutely way more riveting in the olden days on RA

like on 29 Jan 2010 then:

Affliate program - about LL advertising program. Anybody buying this
Red beacon - whats that red pointing thingy on my screen
RL causes in SL - how can I know that I wont get ripped off if I donate money
Meshes introduction - like about mesh
SL crashes at start up every time - bc it does
Inventory Listing goes blank when Friends log on/off  - bc it does
Karma clothing - is gone and nobody much noticed
How to get noticed - my own shop is here but nobody much notices
Classified payment - LL pinch my money on Sunday instead of Monday
Caprica - about some TV show
Scorpions - some RL band broke up and they had this amazing song whose name I cant remember
Selling Account info - some RL thingy
JD Salinger died - can he please say Hi to Ernest Hemingway for me
SL website Develop page - absolutely fascinating read about what that was gunna be maybe

+

and that was it for all of RA for all of that day. A whole 14 new posts

amazing topics, totallly full of witty, insightful world-saving commentary from all kinds of amazingly witty, insightful and world-saving olden days people. They are like legends to me. Inspirational even. I am aspire to be like them

(:

Magnus Brody wrote:

I think the title says it.  I remember some brilliant, fascinating discussions here once. 

What do we have lately? 

- OMG I think voting things are unfair and my mummy agreed

- Things are really laggy and I'm too stupid to realise my comp is basically a pile of outdated rubbish

- What is the best graphics card because, really I want to boast about the one I am buying

- I complained about something on marketplace and the seller has banned me.

Long time since, when the general discussion forum was removed I was one of those campaiging it be brought back, with the benefit of hindsight - good call ;-)

I also campaigned vigorously to reinstate the GD forum and I certainly believe that, had LL not seen the error of their way, this forum would be in a much, much more woeful state.  I can only speculate as to why most of the more clever (and dare I say colorful) conversationalists have abandoned this ship like swarms of rodents.  But I can tell you, with unequivocal certainty, why my participation here has dwindled to the point where I rarely am interested enough to take the monumental step of inserting myself into a conversation.

I no longer feel comfortable here trying to carry on a reasonable conversation because there are far too many unreasonable people here to which the moderators seem to kowtow.  Any hyper-emotional nitwit can RIC (report inappropriate content) your post for any perceived offense, no matter how innocuous.

The moderators don't have to tell you how you've violated the rules... just that you have.  They're not even required to site the portion of the ToS or CG of which you've supposedly run afoul.  And, should you question their action, they're not required to (and very rarely do) have the decency to respond to you with any sort of explanation or, as I see it, justification for your, most likely unwarranted, chastisement.  Usually, they don't respond to you at all.

Surely, you can still regularly participate here... many people do.  I just think the environment which LL has chosen to establish here is simply not conducive to truly engaging conversation for conversation's sake.  The fact that, at the beginning, they didn't believe a GD forum was necessary only codifies my opinion that engaging conversation simply isn't that for which they were aiming with this place from the very start.

What really burns my britches is the lost hope that, should the forum community (at the time) had banned together, stood up and fought against the decimation of our community, things might have been very different.  Instead, half of them came back, decided they didn't like what was going on and abandoned the place altogether, while those who remained fractured into factions feuding amongst themselves like virulent children.  A feud within which I became involuntarily involved and, because of which, still remain ever so slightly resentful.  But, oh well... it is as LL wants it to be.

...Dres

I don't find the forums boring, although they're not so interesting that I'd want to spend hours on them, which suits me as I'd rather spend most of my SL time actually logged in-world.

I think the forums exist primarily to be helpful to residents rather than to be interesting.  That doesn't mean they can't be interesting, but it's a bonus if they are.

:smileyhappy:

I must be doing something wrong since I don't think I have had a post removed I didn't expect to be removed. Maybe I am just lucky, but the only posts I have noticed being removed have been for reasons I understand - spam, naming & shaming and the occassional disturbed\deranged ones

Aethelwine wrote:

I must be doing something wrong since I don't think I have had a post removed I didn't expect to be removed. Maybe I am just lucky, but the only posts I have noticed being removed have been for reasons I understand - spam, naming & shaming and the occassional disturbed\deranged ones

Take a look at this and tell me what you think... link.  How in any way could my asking someone, "Wut?" in reply to a nonsensical post be considered a violation of anything?

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

Take a look at this and tell me what you think...
.  How in any way could my asking someone, "Wut?" in reply to a nonsensical post be considered a violation of anything?

...Dres

Wut?

....Drake

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

.  How in any way could my asking someone, "Wut?" in reply to a nonsensical post be considered a violation of anything?

...Dres

Wut?

....Drake

Wut?

(joins Drake in waiting for the moderator's sword)

Emma Krokus wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Aethelwine wrote:

...Dres

Wut?

....Drake

Wut?

(joins Drake in waiting for the moderator's sword)

Huh?

The Forum's certainly have died down quite a bit.

I still believe it was LL's intention shortly after they switched to Lithium to kill General Discussion.

And I still marvel that at the time a Linden who's job title included the phrase "new user retention" could do such an admirable job of alienating everyone.

And while there were a few people it didn't bother me to see them go bye, bye, overall the departures were disastrous.

Another problem is some topics have been hashed and rehashed to death.  If I never see another thread demanding more groups it wouldn't bother me.  And while I don't mind answering questions, do we really need another thread on sexual age-play?

Another thing that has happened is we can no longer post comments directly to LL News and Blog Posts.  That was the source of many lively discussions.

I could go on with a few other things but that might get boring too.

This topic has been discussed before also.  ;)

I thought when they made all those other sections that used to be talked about in general,is when they really slowed down..

There was a wider range of topics in the version before this one..

Then when they broke all those up,it really slowed down in GD fast..

the stuff in the "your avatar" section is just an example of what used to be discussed in this section..

Ceka Cianci wrote:

I thought when they made all those other sections that used to be talked about in general,is when they really slowed down..

There was a wider range of topics in the version before this one..

Agreed.

Taking all the forums together, its not a slowdown so much as a categorization.

As for moderation and tone - some folks have trouble having discussion without resorting to snarkiness or hostility - and then moderation sets in. Because such folks have trouble NOT communicating in this way, they may not realize its not how others wish to engage, and not even needed to make a point.

I find it usefule to come back and reread whatever I might have written a half or so later - IF I remember to do this, I can sometimes catch unwise posts and edit them.

As for the moderation - I appreciate it a lot, especially after seeing certain other SL forums that lack such.

agree

i dont think the volume of posts has gone down all that much. They just more spread out on here

+

pretty much everything ended up in RA in those days

probably the most interesting thing about the old forums is that they never had a GD section. General chat about stuff was just tolerated in the RA

+

since Ebbe Linden came and told his people to chill out a bit these forums have lightened up (mod wise) quite a bit since I find. Much of the heavy-handedness (timeline wise) was done in the time of the previous boss linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3245 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.