Replace forum registered date with SL join date

Deltango Vale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Edit:

It makes far more sense for SL join date to be displayed on the avatar instead of the date one joined the old Jive forum.

SL birthdate is:

1) Universal - a common denominator for SL's subgenres (blogs, fora, SLA, SLM, Avatars United etc.).

2) A benchmark with which to measure one's participation in SL. For example, a birthdate of 2004 with 3 forum posts provides a wealth of information, as does a birthdate of 2011 with 350 posts.

3) Easy to maintain across applications. For example, the date currently displayed in this Lithium software goes back to the installation of the preceding Jive software; it does not go back to the earlier vBulletin software (which, incidentally, displayed SL birthdate).

Deltango Vale wrote:

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I didn't find anything in search, so am starting a thread.

It makes far more sense for SL join date to be displayed on the avatar instead of the date one joined the old Jive forum.

Yes... and no.

Someone might have been in SL for years but today could be their first day on the forums - 'registered 1997- first post 2011' it sort of sounds a bit odd. At least knowing the date a person has registered for the forums gives an idea of how well they know their way about the forums. 

Then on the other hand - when it comes to Inworld knowledge - someone with 6 months on the forums (and roughly the same inworld) can seem like an expert - where the low post count but long time member of SL would obviously have more knowledge of SL. Unless of course they didn't spend that much time there and/or 'gave' their ID to their kid brother/sister gf/bf or whatever.

Yes I see ... I think.

Best ignore me eh?

Argus Collingwood wrote:

Since only Lindens can creat Blog posts, counting them on badges seems silly. If that is what the blog count means  If it is blog replies it is not working.:smileywink:

It is the blog posts that can only be made by Lindens. Thankfully you can turn them off - just go to the 'Social Connect' tab under My Settings (where you set up the badge) and deselect it. You can also take off 'Ideas' as this is a feature of Lithium I believe LL are not using.

I'm quite indifferent to all these numbers ranks and scores.  It's nice to get them and a pretty good ego booster, but at the end of the day they really don't mean much. (>_<)

I, for one, don't really like the idea of appearing "older" than anyone else.  So, combine my indifference to numbers in general with a sense of distate about using numbers to indicate some sort of social rank and I can't really bring myself support this notion. (._.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4794 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.