JIRA against "Ranks" in Forums and SL Answers

Irene Muni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The previous system had a JIRA requesting removal the system of points ( https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-1498 ).

In this new system, there is a JIRA requesting to be removed the "Ranks" and their permission to act in one way or another on the forums according to your rank.

***** I believe from your involvement in the Spanish forum that English is not your first language Irene so can I ask if the JIRA is against "Ranks" in the Forum or have you made a mistake and it is actually against "Rants" here? ********** I like lots of vinegar on my fish and chips supper but I put the salt on first so it gets dissolved. **********

***** Irene Muni said: Buf... I don't know if "Entertainment" is the correct subforum to inform the community about a new JIRA request. But I cannot find a subforum for that ***** I can't find forums that seem to be right for the questions I want to ask. I have even tried (three times!) to ask in the Answers part of this site where I can ask questions about SL 'ess' 'eee' 'ecks' (spelt out because I am worried that it might be the word itself that gets the whole post deleted) but the questions don;t appear. ***** I think I will ask in the Forum Feedback section. ********** Cod, chips and mushy peas! Who needs fancy cordon bleu cooking when you can have that for supper in a newspaper. **********

***** Suspiria said: SecondLife Forums Feedback ***** After Irene had asked where she should start a thread about JIRAs. ***** I don't think a forum about Feedback is the right place to announce and discuss JIRAs. There should be somewhere else where opinions regarding JIRAs can be discussed. A single Feedback thread is almost impossible to hold a sensible discussion in and is bound to turn into just a list of gripes by individuals. ********** It would be like asking Heston Blumenthal to cook fish suppers for the whole of the Household Cavalry in your local chippy, which would get in the way of me getting my Thursday Night Special tonight. **********

You know I've always agreed with you on this Irene (and still do). However, I've come to a decision that I'm not going to bother pushing and debating this anymore.

My reasoning is because I think that when we keep debating it we just make it more of an issue which tends to give people an excuse to start using it as a reson to attack others.

If I had my way I'd remove all such markers and allow everyone to be judged solely on the quality of what they say and do rather than some relatively arbritrary marker. It looks like they are here to stay though so, rather than let myself get bogged down in debating them, I've decided the best thing for me to do is to just pay them no heed. I'll judge people on what they say and do and I want everyone to judge me on what I say and do too.

The 'ranks' may be there, but I certainly won't judge someone because of their 'rank' and I hope others work on the same logic too. If we all just ignored them they wouldn't even be an issue, so I've decided that's exactly what I'm going to do :)

I don't understand what the rank "Honored" means. Am I meant to be honored that I have been ranked? Are others meant to be honored that they get to read the dribble I post. What exactly does "honored" means in regards to a forum rank.

Maybe an advisor could advise me on this?

LOL, I learnt recently that the Americans havn't actually corrupted the English language as much as is generally thought. In fact American English is actually closer to the English that the pioneers used than proper English is today. So in the last 200 years it has been us British that have used a more evolved form of English and the Americans are using a more traditional form of english. It was on QI so if Stephen Fry says it's true then i'm not gonna argue with him.

My own perception has always been that American English was the language of the hedgerow and the gutter, where the transatlantic emigrants had been sleeping before their desperate abandonment of their native climes, and that the English of the British Commonwealth (excluding the antipodean convict colonies) was that of the nobility, who took the best of Norse, German, French and AngloSaxon words so that poetic and conceptual nuances could be more finely expressed.

The 'ranks' may be there, but I certainly won't judge someone because of their 'rank' and I hope others work on the same logic too. If we all just ignored them they wouldn't even be an issue, so I've decided that's exactly what I'm going to do

So...I guess that's why you've already reached the rank of advisor, then?

In my opinion... There are issues that have a much farther reaching impact than forum badges to worry about. I would rather put my energy on community activism and organizing for issues that have actual importance to the success of the entire platform. Like Privacy and things like Jira voting (albeit a lost cause).

Ann Otoole wrote:

In my opinion... There are issues that have a much farther reaching impact than forum badges to worry about. I would rather put my energy on community activism and organizing for issues that have actual importance to the success of the entire platform. Like Privacy and things like Jira voting (albeit a lost cause).

Of course there are issues that "have a much farther reaching impact". But what's the problem in "watch" a JIRA and "put your energy" in activism about other JIRAs? :)

Ann Otoole wrote:

Most of us are capable of focusing on more than one issue at a time. Those people on the lowest rank seem to have restricted accessibility. You may not think this is important or relevant but I am sure they do.  

Ann Otoole wrote:

Taking away voting on the Jira is just plain silly and a complete waste of time as people will replace voting with watching, an exercise in futility if ever I saw one.

Ranks on the forum are also silly and should be ejected, they will be be a cause of strife.

Irene Muni wrote:

Ann Otoole wrote:

Of course there are issues that "have a much farther reaching impact". But what's the problem in "watch" a JIRA and "put your energy" in activism about other JIRAs?
:)

It's an exercise in futility that's what's wrong with it. I can "watch" Jiras without clicking the watch button because of the filters we have access to on the Jira but to show my support for it I have to officially watch it and then setup a mail filter to throw emails to my trash, whereas now I can just click vote. Completely pointless removing voting.

Irene Muni wrote:

Perhaps. But persists the problem I have written in  the JIRA: some users cannot do some features, some valued residents with no rank, no community spirit... In my opinion the problem is the existance of ranks.

i_agree.gif

The ranking system divides the community. I've noticed some people with high ranks despite being a very limited contrubutor in the past. I saw someone with only 800 posts and no solutions get Advisor status. I don't see how that's possible if a weighted system is in place. How can a computerized system play favorites?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.