Reply button on top of thread pages creates a reply to the wrong post.

Luc Starsider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not the best title for a post, I guess...

A couple of times, I have noticed after clicking the 'Reply' button on top of a page, which contains more than one page worth of replies, that the post I'm about to reply to is actually a random post on that page. That is, the reply is not to the OP as I would expect, but some other post. I've only seen this after scrolling down to read the text I'm replying to.

Am I the only one to whom this is happening, or is this a bug affecting others too?

- Luc -

Hi valerie.

Now that's just typical. Once again I have issues that nobody else has. :( At least I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

The last few months a few things have happened that I have been sure have been bugs, but that have turned out to be something nobody else have had issues with. Most frustrating...

This time I thought I should check if others have the same issues before I go file a bug report for it.

Thanks, though, and may your luck extend far beyond replying to forum posts :)

- Luc -

Hello Luc. I have another problem when i try to reply. Very often, when i click the reply button and opens the new page while it seems that is fully loaded in fact it isnt. So after some seconds when i ve started to type the text window is dissapeared for some seconds and or i continue to type into the subject or suddently it sends be back to the topic and i see my answer unfinished. It's something really annoyable which always i forget. So you aren't the only who has issues with the replies there.

I just tested but I don`t know if I did the test right hehe

On the "Photos w/celebrities" thread I went to page 2 and then clicked the reply button at the top left of the page. If I click the quote button in the reply box, it brings up a quote of the OP.

That would appear to be expected behaviour, is that not what happens to you Luc? 147.gif

@Claireschen. That's what I Thought. It seems a bit random.

@LoveAngeL. I'm sorry to say, but That sound even more annoying than this reply issue. :)

@Jacki. From what it seems, it works for some but not for others. I'm just glad I'm not the only one with the issue. :)

@Peewee. You're not doing it right! :D. No, it is not what happens to me; when I click reply, the quoted text is not necessarily the OP's.

@Evangeline. +1, I guess. We'll keep counting.

@Deltango. That's exactly what I've started doing. Just to make sure.

Hopefully, a Linden sees this thread so we can get this sorted out.

- Luc -

Luc, I've noticed this problem too. Like Deltango, I've taken to clicking the Reply button that is in the actual OP on page 1, even though it is a pain to navigate there from long threads.

I understand from reading transcripts of the recent Community Tools User Group meetings that there a plans to add a Reply button to the BOTTOM of each page for easily replying to an OP without having to scroll to the top. Let's hope that whatever changes are made to implement that also fix this problem.

Quinn Morani wrote:

Luc, I've noticed this problem too. Like Deltango, I've taken to clicking the Reply button that is in the actual OP on page 1, even though it is a pain to navigate there from long threads.

I understand from reading transcripts of the recent Community Tools User Group meetings that there a plans to add a Reply button to the BOTTOM of each page for easily replying to an OP without having to scroll to the top. Let's hope that whatever changes are made to implement that also fix this problem.

Correct Quinn!  We are working on that right now :) 

Quinn Morani wrote:

The new button on the bottom is there, but it is a copy of the old top button with the same behavior.

That's how I understood they would do it from the same meeting transcript Quinn refered to.

Btw. I had a look at the link you gave above, but I have to admit I'm not much wiser. Is the solution you made different than what LL did with the button on the bottom of the page?

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

That's how I understood they would do it from the same meeting transcript Quinn refered to.

Btw. I had a look at the link you gave above, but I have to admit I'm not much wiser. Is the solution you made different than what LL did with the button on the bottom of the page?

- Luc -

The difference is that the script always generates a reply to the OP. The Lithium button will use the OP sometimes, but it will not if you follow a reply link from the new posts page, or a permalink to a reply.

Cerise wrote:

The difference is that the script always generates a reply to the OP. The Lithium button will use the OP sometimes, but it will not if you follow a reply link from the new posts page, or a permalink to a reply.

Oh, OK. Exactly what the thread is about, then. :) The way your script works is the way I thought the reply button was supposed to work. When replies have been to the wrong post, I'm not sure it has been for the two reasons you mention. It could be, but I don't think so.

I haven't tried if things work as expected today, since LL added the reply button on the bottom of the pages. We'll soon find out, I guess.

- Luc -

Wow Cerise, nice script. This is how the reply button should work.

I added this issue to the CTUG agenda and plan on being there. I hope you don't mind, but I might have to bring up your script as an example of how to do it right.

You have no idea how much I appreciate your work to make this forum a nicer place to be. Thank you ever so much.

...Dres

Cerise wrote:

It is odd, I
and have not found a use for it, except for testing that it works..

really? I love that little button! saves me from endlessly backtracking when I want to reply to OP.

I can see where the current built in behavior came from... as a timer saver to target the post you linked to... the problem with that is that the highligheted post is already in focus when you open the page, so not much need to find a reply button for it, but the thread OP can often end up pages away. is also a bit unintuitive, since the recent post link causes it to target the first new post, which may not be the one you want to reply to. the trailing reply button should always target the OP IMO (as Cerise's does), and probably the page head one too, (although I see little value in it's presence)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.