Featured News

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Contributors to this blog

Second Life Story in HBO Documentary this Valentine’s Day

Pete Linden

As you may have already heard, HBO will be showing a documentary called, When Strangers Click: Five Stories from the Internet on February 14 (Valentine’s Day). The film is the work of Robert Kenner (the Oscar®-nominated director of the documentary Food, Inc.), and it presents several stories of people finding love online. One of the segments of the film is a great Second Life love story: a talented musician happened to meet a woman at an inworld performance, and as a result, both of their lives have changed significantly.

Watching the film, it’s clear Robert Kenner ‘gets’ Second Life, and in addition to telling his subjects’ stories with compassion, he realistically presents the virtual world and its possibilities. If you’re an HBO subscriber, I highly recommend checking this one out. For details and the trailer, see this page on the HBO Documentary Films website. If you’re not a subscriber, keep an eye on the film’s Facebook page for the DVD release date.

Watch Paisley Beebe Interview the Director

On February 6, Tonight Live with Paisley Beebe will have both Robert Kenner and Bara Jonson, the musician featured in the film, on the program. Paisley will interview Robert, and Bara will perform live. For details, check out Paisley’s announcement here.

director.jpg

Share Your Own Story and Support the Film

Over the years, many of you have shared your own stories about making meaningful connections with others in Second Life – and now, the filmmakers would love to hear them as well.  If you have a story about meeting someone in Second Life that deeply affected you (it doesn’t need to be a romantic connection), add it to the film’s Facebook page – and while you’re there, click ‘Like’ to show your support!

poster.jpg

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

It's good to see SL in the media for all the wrong reasons again.

Too bad it's for some glurgy saccherine valentines vomitfest.

I think it's great, and will attract a more mature, mainstream market. From my point of view as a merchant, I see a lot of couples in love. HBO watchers with an interest in romance are who LL needs to be attracting, more than the demographic LL has been trying to attract.

Wait till you see the film before discarding it...."All The Wrong Reasons" ??? If you mean that something about an SL musician who has a great break through in his Music career.. is all the wrong reasons? where is your head at girl! yes its also about his relationship, If you've seen it in total I will accept your critique but if you haven't please reserve judgement until seen! I think it might show a great side of Second Life..

I would love if at least the Lindens could tell us the meaning of abbreviations used.

HBO has no meaning to me at all I know I could look it up but I would rather be able to read the blog posts right away

I would love if at least the Lindens could tell us the meaning of abbreviations used.

HBO has no meaning to me at all I know I could look it up but I would rather be able to read the blog posts right away

HBO is the name of a TV channel. It is short for Home Box Office, but HBO is the name used, much like NBC.

Well played, Dora, well played indeed.

@Paisley, obviously I haven't seen it, but what I'm reacting is the fact it appears to be a glurgy hallmark lifetime-ish saccherine fest. I'd love to be wrong -in fact I hope I am.

SL could use some good exposure for a change!

Share Your Own Story and Support the Film

Over the years, many of you have shared your own stories about making meaningful connections with others in Second Life – and now, the filmmakers would love to hear them as well.  If you have a story about meeting someone in Second Life that deeply affected you (it doesn’t need to be a romantic connection), add it to the film’s Facebook page – and while you’re there, click ‘Like’ to show your support!

Can you say, "new Reality show?"

I met the RL love of my life inworld (actually on the old forums, followed by a few virtual dates) ... though we're not involved inworld in any significant way anymore, we got our start here and if it weren't for SL we'd likely never have met at all.

i think it is great although not seeking out love i have met some very dear friends who are very close to me and are very much a part of my life now thank you second life

peace and blessings be with you

I met the RL love of my life inworld (actually on the old forums, followed by a few virtual dates) ... though we're not involved inworld in any significant way anymore, we got our start here and if it weren't for SL we'd likely never have met at all.

*waves to G & E* Although my hubby & I met long before discovering SL, we find that our RL relationship is enriched by having the best of both worlds We will be sure to watch this.

I hope this show won't be anything like the "Life 2.0" documentary,  those of you who have seen that will know what I mean.   It was aired at the SLCC convention last year.   That film was not flattering to SL.   Has anyone seen a preview of "When Strangers Click" ?   Be prepared for disappointment,   documentary film-makers tend  to play up the negative, controversial aspects of their topic.  I haven't seen his film "FOOD, inc." but am looking at the trailer now and I can see that Robert Kenner is a propagandist,  so don't expect a fair and balanced portrayal of SL from this director.

Sorry for being cynical ... and I know I should not pre-judge something I have not even seen .. but after my disappointment with "Life 2.0" I am wary of any documentary about SL.

I hope this show won't be anything like the "Life 2.0" documentary,  those of you who have seen that will know what I mean.   It was aired at the SLCC convention last year.   That film was not flattering to SL.   Has anyone seen a preview of "When Strangers Click" ?   Be prepared for disappointment,   documentary film-makers tend  to play up the negative, controversial aspects of their topic.  I haven't seen his film "FOOD, inc." but am looking at the trailer now and I can see that Robert Kenner is a propagandist,  so don't expect a fair and balanced portrayal of SL from this director.

Sorry for being cynical ... and I know I should not pre-judge something I have not even seen .. but after my disappointment with "Life 2.0" I am wary of any documentary about SL.

Sounds to me like your judgement is keen and accurate, since the hype bubble popped most portrayals of SL tend to be along the lines you described. Sopiliia's comment in this very thread reflects how ingrained the negative image of SL is.

I share your reservations -for the same reasons.

• Lindens

Sophitia, Rinaldo, Han - Having seen the film myself, I think you'll be pleased at how Second Life and its users are portrayed. Paisley Beebe, Rik Riel, and Hamlet Au have also seen the film - I'd recommend reading thoughts on it as well, which you can do by following the links in the post above.

I encourage you to watch Paisley Beebe's interview with the director on Sunday and hope you have a chance to see the movie itself as well.

For those who have shared your stories about meeting online in comments here, or on the film's Facebook page, thank you!

I am going to pass on the documentary. Afterall it is only one mans perception or conecept... We all use SL for whatever the reason. Escape from 1st life, fantasy,roleplay,whatever.. Personally I can care less what others think of us SLbians... Chances are its going to be negative views on topics we have all already heard people whine about or criticize. End the hate... heh....that is all =)

Here we go again with people thinking this is just about Second Life...did you know that its now 2 in 5 relationships are formed from people meeting online..these are 5 stories of such meetings and Second life is just 1 of them..why is it folks like passing judgement on films/documentaries etc when they have not even seen them..I say kudos to those who have met online and are now happy.

If you have HBO On Demand, you can see the documentary any time.  I did watch it and it was very nonjudgmental about online relationships.  In fact, even the incredible loneliness these people were feeling was portrayed sympathethically and respectfully.  I recommend seeing it if you're so inclined.

i am from texas and i met my wife on second life. She is from the uk an i moved there about a year ago. One of the best thing i have ever done in my life.

If it weren't for SL, I doubt my husband and I would have ever met. We met 4 years ago in SL at a club, got married in SL that summer and we met RL after dating online for about 6 months and at every step it was love at first chat/sight. I moved from Detroit to Chicago to be with him and we got married 3 years ago. Although he doesn't go in-world much anymore, I still do on occasion. One of these days we're planning on getting matching tattoos incorporating the SL logo to commemorate how we met. I haven't seen the HBO special sicne we don't have HBO but I will be looking for it to come out on DVD. All I can say is, I am glad that I found true love through SL and that many others have as well.