mesh body why are they popular ?

Quinn Lysette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

when 

1. they are like lifeless manikins 

i heard the mouth dont move or something i see it just a waste of lindens

also is the 1 i got mesh  cuz i rember i got it in the marketplace n got charged something like 3000 lindens or so is it mesh ?

i do know i got wome wierd creepy mesh shorts that whenever i log in they are sideways or not even on mesh is crappy LoL

Why is anything popular?  Because people like it. If you really want to discuss a question like that, the place to do it is in the General Discussion forum, where I'm sure you will get many opinions.

Any avatar that you can buy in Marketplace or in world is mesh.  (In fact, so is your standard "classical" avatar. They always have been.)  If your mouth is not moving when you speak, then you have not activated it properly in Preferences >>> Sound & Media  (  https://gyazo.com/f361354ab215e7da98157c01c798b5fd ) . 

If you bought mesh clothing that is not attaching properly, as you describe it, you may be experiencing region lag or you may have a flaky Internet connection.  Avoid using a wireless connection -- use cable or a DSL connection instead -- and try rebooting both your router and your modem.

• Like 1

Well Quinn,  that is the beauty of SL.  There are so many choices of how you want your avatar to look.  You may not care for mesh and have your reasons,  but a great many of the SL residents DO like it.  So to each his own so no point in knocking something when it is ONLY your opinion, which you are certainly entitled to.

But FYI,  good mesh bodies with a good skin DO look loads better than the standard SL avatar issued when you join up (especially mine it is 11 years old you should have seen them back then lmao).  To me there is absolutely no question about it.  It is my choice to have a really top of the line computer as well, so I can see my mesh and everyone elses properly, it rezzes fast and everything is in it's place.  But again that is a choice some of us make, to enhance our SL experience.  Mesh clothing also looks by far better in some cases than painted on layer clothing if it is made well, especially skirts,  the layer skirt is and always has been horrible, however, having said that some tops and pants too look great done in layers.  As a designer, I will sometimes mix mesh with layers and make appliers for mesh bodies to work with them as well.  

My mesh body moves better than the original avatar did as well, looking far more life like as opposed to a cartoon and is certainly NOT like a lifeless maninkin.  I have a bento mesh head and my mouth moves just fine.

So to sum it all up for you:  YES  mesh bodies do look better for most of us.  But as I said in SL there is room for everyone to have their personal preferences and absolutely no need to bash others preferences because they are not the same as yours.  Live and let live as they say, it is  a matter of respecting others preferences and a sign of maturity.

• Like 1

Are you talking about bodies or heads? Because it sounds like you're talking about heads. 

Mesh bodies move just like "classic" bodies, since they're rigged to the same skeleton. The curves are much smoother, which is why they're popular.

The mouth of the standard avatar doesn't move by default, either. It can manage minimal, mechanical motion with certain animations or poseballs, but very little. Mesh heads can have smoother animations, especially if they're Bento, which allows for very nice, realistic movement. The main difference I've noticed, animation wise, is that mesh heads don't blink naturally. Or rather, they didn't seem to, until Bento. 

Mesh does take time to load. It's not any worse than system clothes, for me, back when my clothes used to rez, then go fuzzy, then rez again, then go fuzzy...

Some people don't like mesh, but lots of us do. I, personally, much prefer the looks I can achieve with mesh. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I do not have a mesh head and my mouth moves when I talk. It is some preference setting, I do not recall which.

In general, people wear mesh bodies atop their system bodies because good quality mesh bodies with good quality skin appliers look far superior to system bodies, if one is going for a realistic look. That includes fantasy avatars ... mesh is far superior to most (not all) sculpted fantasy avatars. There are no jagged arm pits or lumpy bumpy shoulders with mesh avatars and the feet do not look like paddles with toes painted on them. Fingers do not have odd, jagged edges to them. Before the advent of mesh avatars, I was having to do a lot of clean up editing when I did portraits for people. I charge less for portraits now because there is far less post process clean up of jagged, twisty bits or painted on clothing that distorts with the shape of the body.  Mesh clothes, when done well, drape and flow better and look more real than the painted on system clothes with flexi parts. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

Well said, and I agree.

I'm sticking with my classic avatar.

System Avatar... Not "classic", things do not automatically become "classics" just because they are old...

48 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

System Avatar... Not "classic", things do not automatically become "classics" just because they are old...

For years now I have seen, on this forum and others, the LL Avatar referred to as the Classic avatar.

And I think this is the first time I have ever seen anyone take issue with that.

1 minute ago, Teagan Tobias said:

For years now I have seen, on this forum and others, the LL Avatar referred to as the Classic avatar.

And I think this is the first time I have ever seen anyone take issue with that.

For a while you've seen people with system avatars calling it 'classic' because they think it sounds better, call a spade a spade, and not an "antique earth relocation machine"...

28 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

True enough, but that's what Linden Lab has chosen to call them.  B|

I prefer to think of myself as "classy".  :D

Yeah but... LL also call all those empty "designer virtual interactive art exhibit" sims "what's hot now"...

Go figure...

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

For a while you've seen people with system avatars calling it 'classic' because they think it sounds better, call a spade a spade, and not an "antique earth relocation machine"...

Teagan refrains from sticking her fingers in her ears and saying “Classic Avatar” over and over.

2 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Yeah but... LL also call all those empty "designer virtual interactive art exhibit" sims "what's hot now"...

Go figure...

I am a lifelong fan of logic and rational thinking, but sometimes reality wins the day. ?

42 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I am a lifelong fan of logic and rational thinking, but sometimes reality wins the day. ?

And the reality is that some of us like the “Classic” avatar and will not move to the expensive and challenging mesh avatars. (IMHO)

And I have been doing demo mesh avatars for over a year, they are pretty! I have even bought Omega skins just to use with the demo. I just can't get the hang of them, they are just to much work for me. And I'm not in Second Life to make work for myself, so I'll stick with the “Classic” avatar.

On 20/2/2017 at 10:44 PM, Quinn Lysette said:

when 

i heard the mouth dont move or something i see it just a waste of lindens

also is the 1 i got mesh  cuz i rember i got it in the marketplace n got charged something like 3000 lindens or so is it mesh ?

i do know i got wome wierd creepy mesh shorts that whenever i log in they are sideways or not even on mesh is crappy LoL

Mesh is important for the use of appliers, a higher level of pixel details.... way over the 1024x1024 ppi
I'm a illustrator/digital drawer in SL. For SL mesh is a new revolution.
Mesh is new standard that already took place in other well known 3D app's or even games (The Sims).

Give it some time, all you will change very quick to it. And after you did, there is no way back, I promise you this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinners said:

[ .... ]

Give it some time, all you will change very quick to it. And after you did, there is no way back, I promise you this.

Well, many people will, that's true.  Certainly SL residents who joined after about 2012 will.  Those of us who have been around longer will change more slowly.  It's not a matter of being stodgy and conservative as much as a matter of economics and familiarity.  I've spent ten years tweaking my av appearance.  She's me, from head to toe.  If I replace her with a shiny new mesh av, I'll look great, but I won't be me any more.  (I do have an alt who likes her Maitreya mesh body, but I'm not even slightly tempted to change my main av.)

• Like 2

On 5/5/2017 at 4:03 PM, Rolig Loon said:

(I do have an alt who likes her Maitreya mesh body, but I'm not even slightly tempted to change my main av.)

I'm glad that you're happy with your avatar! That's what really matters and I don't think many people understand that. If you want to change then you should. It took me a very long time to move to mesh and I am finally very pleased with the outcome but I felt discontent for awhile with my avi. Take your time and change when you're ready. I don't think others should tell people how to spend their money and how to dress their avi.

I to was a reluctant mesh convert, I had put together over time a collection of tattoos that were unique, and I knew mesh would mean I would have to start over. I finally took the plunge however and got a Maitreya body, and I love it. I do however still use my old system head, because it looks like "me". I am not sure if I will ever change that.

• Like 2

On 20/2/2017 at 5:14 PM, Quinn Lysette said:

when 

MMMmmm .. default avatar look more manikins and with mesh body looks more realistic. I've slink (physique and hourglass) and maitreya, both looks really great. Don't like how look my classic avatar. Yes, maybe some mesh body are expensive, but slink are 1250 L$ (without feet and hands - I love hourglass shape *.* very curvylicious) and maitreya 2750 L$ (included bento hands and feet - with glam affair skins), both are good option and looks awesome. About mesh head, I've CATWA (Bento and non-bento) they move your mouth, and yes they (mesh head and addons) are very... very expensive.

I agree with @Annika Velde. If you're happy using a legacy avatar then continue to do so. I know I went through some of my older MP purchases recently and I saw that there is a ton of legacy product out there that costs a fraction of what it was 1 or more years ago.

For those on the fence, there is a ton of resources out there to help with the transition. Videos, forums (including this one!) and even in world groups. I'd also be happy to help anyone out in world if they have some questions or want a basic walkthrough.

Teagan, I mean no disrespect but I am not sure what you're doing because after 1-year you should have it down lol. Which bodies were you using? Is there something we can help you with? :D

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2495 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.