Why are is there no businesswear available?

AmyNevilly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think this is due to there being less & less corporations in SL.

In the past, "M" Linden tried to make Second Life all corporate and serious business & that failed.

Second Life remains concretely the domain of individuals.

Most of these individuals just want to have fun!

There is little "work" or office-like environments, so casual relaxed clothing reigns supreme.

Just very little need here for business formalism or "impressing the boss" :matte-motes-asleep-2: hurrah!

• Like 1

I typed in a search for "business" in the marketplace, and there are some, but you have to wade through "sexy" and "sexy business" to find them. You're very right, most women's suits seem to be sexy as opposed to something a normal woman would actually wear to the office...

Keep in mind, though, that a low-cut blouse can be made less sexy by adding a cute cami/tanktop underneath. Skirts I bet you'll have a hard time with, and may have to try slacks instead; most were either super short with a little prim piece in front, or system (from my quick perusal, anyways).

Good luck! It doesn't seem that many people design for the "serious," non-sexy businesswoman on SL. Maybe because it's a virtual world and what you wear doesn't (theoretically) matter quite as much as it does in RL? Just a thought. It may matter more to you than to the people you're doing business with, but you should still be able to find something that you feel comfortable in, and it stinks that you can't.

This one: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/sf-design-performance-suit-charcoal-ladies/84490 looks really cute, and comes with a pants option so you wouldn't have to wear the skirt (which looks like a system skirt). The downside is it isn't show on an actual avatar, but it's feminine without being overtly sexy. The same store seems to have a few other women's business pieces/outfits.

sfdesigns makes some nice suits. 

Here's a search that started as suit > apparel > women's > outfits > business attire

yes, there are several sexy outfits and costumes to sort through, but I see some rather lovely ones there as well

link

the suggestion about the pants is a good one, a nice pants suit with a cute hat or perhaps a largish statement necklace or scarf would look both form fitting, professional and feminine

also, you could find a nice flexi skirt in a dark blue, black or perhaps grey and substitute it for the unflattering system skirts.

People selling no modify shapes should be beaten with a stick.

/rant over

So, can you contact the creator and ask

AmyNevilly wrote:

Ah yes I saw that. Problem is that I have a no-mod shape and systemskirts make my bum look big!

for a modify shape? At least a system skirt shape, that should really be included from the start. No modify... Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmph!

Pencil skirts is just classy and so right for business attire. 

Lack of acceptable business attire is what got me into designing and making my own SL clothes. Now everything I wear I have made.

In RL I am a lawyer who works in a rather stuffy (they don't mind my saying that... we are all proud to be "old school") firm and my clients are legislators and other state officials around the country. So most of my RL wardrobe is business attire. I have many pants suits and skirted suits. I sometimes even wear pants from old pants suits for yard work (after the jacket is too old.

I started making skirts that weren't too short (as most that I have seen in in SL are). Now I have jackets, camis (to wear with jackets), pants, skirts, and underwear. For years, when I had time on my hand I would sketch clothing that I wanted to wear or that I had. Now, I do my drawing in GIMP and upload. and then wear in SL. I also have more casual attire such as dresses, sun dresses etc . as well as swim suits, beach pull overs, sleepwear, and intimates.

I don't sell them, I just like to have something to do while sitting on an airplane or waiting for a meeting. And being able to actually wear (in SL) what I make is much better than just sketching them on a legal pad.

Great outfit, Wildcat!

However I think the skirt being a bit lower would be more business appropriate for what Amy is looking for in a business woman outfit.

I have several business suits that I wear for work, all skirts being at the knee level.

I agree Majestic but I have a strategy behind my style .... the level of my skirt in real life depends on the potential topline I can acquire; first contact - product intro phase (low), second meeting - price volume discussions (med) and third meeting - signup phase (high) .... legs sell especially if you sell products into a male dominated sector!!!! :smileyvery-happy: *meows*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.