Wanting to learn to make clothes

Jordyn Blaylock

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Heya. I have been around SL since 2006 and have recently realized that while I can do basic building and semi decent photography, I do not have any real skills. I am very creative though and love fashion so I thought I'd giving making clothes a shot. What I am looking for is someone to help me learn on a one-on-one basis. I will be willing to pay anyone willing to help me. I've tried in world classes as well as out of world tutorials but I learn alot better when its one-on-one and hands on. If anyone is interested let me know or has any tips for me thats fine also. We can discuss rates later.

Jordyn Blaylock

Here are things that helped me:

http://www.mermaiddiaries.com/2006/11/build.html

She has a lot of good tutorials. Not just on making clothing. Very basic, but ya gotta start somewhere.

And also searching YouTube for keywords like: Making clothing second life, making clothing in gimp, make clothing in photoshop. Here's a search to get you started. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=make+clothing+second+life&aq=f

This is where I learned a lot of things too. The rest was really just playing around in the editing softwear, uploading in SL and seeing how it looked and going back and improving.

We would all like some one on one but realisticly, almost everyone is self taught. Apart from the people who have done formal training, which lonly costs one leg and half an arm here, self taught is the way to go. Fewer people have enough time to train someone else for cheap. Unless they love you.

It's no good reading and just watching videos. One must DO the tutorials as they are being watched. A 2nd screen is a good investment allowing one to follow the vids while pausing for detail. It's really difficult following a vid tut that's badly made. Just don't use them. Use quality like as mentioned and the best are at Blender Cookie.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I kind of have to agree with self-taught theory. I spend a great deal of time helping friends and beginning designers understand the basics. But usually it is specific questions with specific answers. Designers spend a lot more time than you may imagine on collections and even single items. It really is a matter of time. If you don't mind me suggesting something for free...download Paint.net. it is a free GNU program, and I think much better and easier for a new user to grasp than Gimp. That is free. There are some other great tools that are totally free too and in that I will be more than happy to help you. Get a hold of a basic template. A shirt or tank top to begin with. See if it comes with a PSD file as well (paint.net can read PSD files with the correct add-on - also free). Then play around a bit with textures, coloring, graphics, layers. With free temp. uploads this should not cost any money as well. Once you get the hang of it, you will discover a lot of other things you can do and create provided of course you do have a graphic eye.

Anyways, good luck on your hunt. I think there is an incredible amount of creativity out there going to waste simply because the first step is the hardest. If I can help with something specific just IM in world.

• 2 weeks later...

For my 2 cents... It's taken me 2 years to learn to make clothing. 2 years of full time learning... I mean 8-10 hours a day. I didn't know Photoshop, or Gimp. I settled on PS and dug in. After busting my arse learning PS and finally getting comfortable with what I make, they roll out mesh!

I've had people ask me to help them, but seriously, I haven't time. Making clothing is not easy. It's much easier to build other items. Making clothing requires skills in a graphic program. Good skills. Then, after making them, there is the photoshoots, the packaging and the marketing! It's not easy. So, back to your original post. If you feel you want to learn to make clothing, learn graphic programs, watch tutorials, read, read, read... Also go to the builder classes. I still get something from those. 

Be ready to be dedicated, or, like many I know, after one or two outfits of lesser quality, they quit. It isn't for the faint of heart!

• 3 weeks later...

Just seems like an enormous waste of time to slog through mud to blaze a path when so many have done that work before, but refuse to share a map.

Sculpt or otherwise.

One thing I love about Torley is he is transparent. If he knows it he will share it.

If every engineer had to discover fire all over again where would we all be?

Learning is never a waste of time and graphics programs are hardly slogging through mud, you can use those skills in RL to make real money  --  and besides, there are tons of free resources out there to help you do it. You can either teach yourself or enroll in school, it's unlikely you will find someone in these forums who will be willing to take the enormous amount of time to tutor you - but it never hurts to ask.

There is no easy step by step here's how to make great clothes explainations either, and it's not as if there is some secret easy button that no one wants to share with you. It takes time, lots of time and dedication and as the previous poster said - it is not easy. It took me years to get to the point where my designs are just decent, and  I've been using Photoshop for what, over 15 years now. And I'm still learning things about it.

If you want to take the easy route you can always just buy pre-made clothing template layers from the Marketplace. You'll still need to learn the graphics programs in order to use them, tho, but learning those is never a waste of time...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.