System Clothing...Past, Present and..Future?

Shannon Danick

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a long time creator of system clothing and skins, I'm wondering just what the future does hold for them. It seems, rightfully so I suppose, that mesh has taken over. Mesh this, mesh that. I have nothing against mesh clothing, hair building parts or objects. Although I do have a certain, distain, for mesh avatars. I'm sorry, but there is less uniqueness and individualism with what few mesh avatars and styles are out there. I do, however, LOVE the way builds can be much less in prim impacts by using mesh shapes and linking them properly.

System clothing was the only option several years ago. We had sculpts too (yikes)...Then we had a choice...system, sculpts or mesh. But will it become all mesh at some point?

Is there still a high demand by the consumer, for system clothing? Is there a real demand at all still?

As another long time clothing designer in sl (over 10 years)  I am finding that there is still a great demand for good system layer clothing.   I have recently resurected 2 of my best selling system clothing designs; reworked the textures a little; and added popular appliers.. And once again they are selling really well.  

I have also noticed that all the majour good gown designers are still using system layers on appliers for part of their gowns.. mainly because with system layers in appliers on mesh bodies, you can get a variety of bodice sizes not just the restricted mesh 5 standard sizes..  so you can show off those lovely breasts as they are meant to be seen.  (just as a side note:  I was a mesh body hold out for ages, finally took the plunge myself,  only to find that system layers on mesh bodies actually look BETTER on mesh bodies than they do on classic avatars... just saying).

Personally I think there is great room for creativity in using a combination of mesh and system layers,  and offering appliers makes it easier for those who do love mesh bodies to have a varied wardrobe, and show off that awesome body in clingy sexy clothing.  

I do not think it will ever be a clear cut case of either/or at all.. but a melding of everything we have to produce yet more amazing fashions. 

I had an in-world shop for many years where I sold the clothes I made (prim and system clothes). Partly because mesh started getting all the attention but mostly because my own interests changed, I closed the shop and haven't made anything new since about 2013. Still, I keep some items in my Marketplace shop, where I am always surprised to find that two of my nightgowns are still selling strongly -- well, strongly for me (8 or 10 a week).  The bodice on each is a lacy system undershirt layer that I am still quite pleased with. Anyway..... as long as people keep buying them, my system clothes aren't dead.

I don't know. I am 100% consumer... I buy a lot. And lately I look closely at and buy more and more applier clothing. I would have to think that appliers are the new system layers. I saw there is a whole event geared towards taking old system clothing now and breathing new life as appliers.

I am very much in the market for well made, especially hand drawn, clothing for my mesh bodies. I don't think these things are dead yet, just changing.

System clothes still appeal to a lot of people that don't like mesh.  With appliers they also appeal to people with mesh bodies.

I'll confess though that I buy mostly mesh clothes and only use the appliers to layer under mesh when I can't find mesh that fits the bill.

Just to add... I think you are wrong about mesh bodies having less uniqueness.  Sure if people buy the bodies and use them as they come, with the skin that comes with them then they'll be a lot of people that look like them.  However mesh bodies do respond to shape sliders.  The result is my mesh body is the same shape my legacy avatar body was, a shape I made myself.  Using a different skin that didn't come with my body also helps.  The result is my avatar looks the same as it did overall, except that the well known problem areas of the legacy body are gone.

• Like 1

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Just to add... I think you are wrong about mesh bodies having less uniqueness.  Sure if people buy the bodies and use them as they come, with the skin that comes with them then they'll be a lot of people that look like them.  However mesh bodies do respond to shape sliders.  The result is my mesh body is the same shape my legacy avatar body was, a shape I made myself.  Using a different skin that didn't come with my body also helps.  The result is my avatar looks the same as it did overall, except that the well known problem areas of the legacy body are gone.

I so agree with this!  I also made my own shape and use a skin that did not come with the body;  and that is very important if you want to be unique;  same as it was before with the legacy body only way better!  I had no problem getting my mesh body to look exactly as I wanted it to. I have two mesh bodies actually, and both are compatable with my slink hands and feet so I can still use my slink shoes and nails.  I even have variations of my original body; tailored to work with different mesh outfits.. all saved in folders with the outfits..  and named accordingly.

Hello Everyone : )

As a consumer i will say that i prefer system clothing with the additions that come with them.....so far the only mesh clothing item i have found that works for me is the "mesh panel" skirt, (no adjusting just pick your size). In my opinion the mesh clothing looks great as long as you don't move, ie: long gowns don't move very nicely. I continue to purchase system items but it is getting harder to find them.

Best Regards,

Josephine

I don't buy a huge amount of clothes, but I still buy system clothing, as well as mesh clothing, depending on whether I like the design of the clothing item.  I don't have a mesh body, and probably won't get one, because for right now I don't see the need for a mesh body. 

System clothing templates are used for appliers. Omega, you just plug the UUID into the script. Layerd appiers with mesh, like a cami under a jacket or pants to tuck into boots, can give a nice polished look. You almost have to have appliers for the breast additions as well. They still sell very well, especially if you add the Omega appliers that are just about universal for almost all mesh, you're covered.

I've completely switched over to a mesh body so only buy mesh clothes and mesh appliers now. A number of other residents I know do likewise. It would be a rare occasion that I would wear system clothes from my inventory unless it's to see how I looked years ago :smileylol:. I still enjoy shopping inworld but if a shop only stocks system clothes I tend to walk out.

I'd love if the creators of some system layers I own which have great textures were remade as mesh appliers and I'd happily buy them again.

I'd love if the creators of some system layers I own which have great textures were remade as mesh appliers and I'd happily buy them again.

Some of us are doing just that, but it can be a slow process.  I actually appreciate it when a customer sends me a message saying they would like appliers for one of my outfits, it helps me decide which ones to do on appliers.

As a consumer, I like wearing a combination of appliers and mesh clothing... because mesh clothing so rarely fits me properly and works best as a baggy things, I layer it with applier leggings, socks, camisoles, etc. So, I think system layers converted to appliers are still going to be a thing, now and in the future.

As a creator of fashion, I like that appliers can allow me to add materials effects (shiny leggings!) and more detail to my older system clothing. It's worth redoing items, I feel, even though there's a bit of a learning curve to it all. If your favourite system clothing creator's still around, you can always ask them about adding appliers for your mesh body. We're usually pretty good about doing that on request even if we have no plans to update something old.

• 2 weeks later...

i think textured clothing looks better on the mesh bodys than it does on the normal SL system body,plus if you have more curvier,fuller figured shape it can be hard to get mesh to fit properly even with fitmesh items .

i tend to mix and match mesh and textured items, i guess its just a matter of each persons taste in style & fashion.

About the only time I would use system is for underwear (because I like realism and to have something for wardrobe malfunctions) or in the rare times when I want to layer items (like a jacket or a layered shirt). Beyond that, I see very little value in a system piece of clothing. Mesh clothes simply look better and add volume, rather than an avatar looking like they are 100 years old and naked all the time. And mesh is easy enough to texture for, since you can get full perm kits with easy to use terms of use.

While I don't care for mesh avatars, it's because alphas don't work as well bad can't be easily stored in different outfits. I play a kid, and most other kids use between 2 and 4 mesh avatars, yet I seldom see them looking the same. Whether you use a mesh or system avatar, you have to change thugs around and make the avatar yours. If people aren't doing that, it's the user's fault, not the mesh's.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2991 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.