Stop being an a-hole and making stuff no mod for no reason

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think most people are familiar with the absolutely annoying alpha visual glitch, where semitransparent textures like silk or tattoos either become completely invisible or have this "shattered glass" distorted effect when overlayed with another semitransparent texture. The only way to solve this is to mask one of the layers, though making it really ugly in the process.

Since the forum doesn't allow me to actually pinpoint store names or people for some weird reason, I can only use generic terms. So there was this really great looking dress that I found from this event. The dress has a few "panels" here and there with semitransparent rubbery textures, which of course will conflict with any tattoos or semi-transparent stockings/socks that you might be wearing. I politely sent the creator an IM saying if I can get a moddable version of the dress so I can make those rubbery panels invisible, because I won't be able to wear my tattoos and stockings while wearing this dress otherwise. There was absolutely no reason why I can't get a moddable version because, a) it's not scripted and does not come with a HUD and b) it was fitted mesh, there was nothing I can do with a moddable version other than tinting/making stuff invisible. Instead, the creator decided to be a complete a-hole and just told me to "suck it up" and "not use tattoos or stockings". Lol seriously?

This is kind of representative of at least half the creators that I've had the luck to communicate with. Why are most creators in SL so damn PARANOID about the damn mod permission on their NON-SCRIPTED stuff? I don't get it. Are they under the delusion that if they make their stuff no mod, somehow it becomes impossible to copybot? Though not sure how fitted mesh stuff is even rippable to start with... Or do they just think by making stuff no mod, they get this ego-boosting feel of "control" over the customers when it does absolutely nothing in reality? I'm a creator myself with some blender experience, though I don't sell anything I make, I prefer to just keep them to myself and friends, so yes I have a very solid understanding of how to create mesh and textures. There is absolutely zero reason I'd ever make anything unmoddable, other than gift cards and combat systems, and scripts in general. The only purposes that making stuff unmoddable serves is, a) pisses off your customers and b) discourage creativity completely. This is a frickin' virtual world and you're trying to discourage creativity by preventing people from resizing/tinting/playing around with stuff they damn bought?

/rant

An interesting exercise in comprehension.

Nowhere in the original post did it say that the issue was with a purchased dress, it *could* have been an issue identified with a demo.

However, that aside, the demo would not necessarily have elicited the same issue because some demos slap on a "DEMO" texture which does not reprepsent the actual texture at all.  Moot point though really because...

Back to Suki's point, "just make the stuff modify permission and grow up".  Pretty fair really.

The object is not as the owner of the product wants it. It belongs to them, not you. You have the money thus that part of the transaction is complete.

This false pride is worthless because at the point that they can not use it as they choose, it sits in inventory and NOBODY sees that glorious texture exhibited by this product owner.

That aside, this was not about changing texture anyway so please, do list the many other reasons for making an item no mod, not including the couple of reasons already cited by Suki. Those reasons are valid.

Not done yet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.