Standard size mesh clothing with no demos

Tihani

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure how common my position is, but after getting burned a couple of times I will no longer buy any mesh clothing for which I have not been able to try a functional demo first.  There are a number of sellers who just expect buyers to lay out hundreds of lindens and hope that the items will have been made well enough to fit standard size avatars.

Unfortunately, some sellers who DO provide demos have not made their clothing quite well enough - or most commonly, have made the alpha imperfectly so that it shows at the edges of the garment. 

But there are plenty of quality sellers these days who charge fair prices for well made clothes and are confident enough to provide a demo to prove it to prospective buyers.  To those sellers, I say "Well done, you have my business!"  To the rest, sorry, but you will have to rely on the trusting or the ignorant to buy your stuff - maybe it fits perfectly, but I will never know because I won't be buying it.

Not only do I avoid buying without a demo, I also try avoiding in-world purchases if there's a Marketplace option; that way I can make my point in a review if the product has a flaw that wasn't noticeable in the demo.

• Like 1

As a consumer, I totally agree!  No demo = No sale!  I have note carded several creators nicely explaining why a demo is necessary..   I only ever got one reply and that was a very arrogant and indignant reply, not at all encouraging to a potential customer..  Personally I do not understand why any merchant would want to risk losing a potential sale by not offering a demo.  As for Alpha's,  sometimes the clothing fits pretty well but the alpha is really badly made and that will show in the demo as well and that is important!  I have in some cases sent a note card to the creator saying I love the style but can't buy it because the alpha doesn't work with it well..  and I send a pic showing clearly where it doesn't work..  To my surprise, most of the time I have either gotten a new alpha sent to me that does work so then I go buy the item, or in some cases the creator has sent me a full perm copy of the alpha texture so I can fix it myself..  these are customer friendly creators!

As a Creator myself, I always provide a "free" demo because that is what I expect as a consumer so of course I would not offer anything less to my potential customers.  I take sometimes hours tweaking an alpha to get the best possible coverage without any overlap;  but having said that,  there are some clothing pieces that are darn near impossible to get a perfect alpha: sleeves that go just below the elbow is one of those areas..  some skirt bottoms are another,  so in a case like that it is a matter of how bad is it, and can you live with it? lol  

seanabrady wrote:

I dont buy without demos and I usually wont pay the 1L$ fee some people charge to get the demo either.

^This.

Funnily enough I've seen some demos that cost MORE than 1L lol. Anyone ever seen 2L demos? 5L? I've even seen demos that cost 11L. Yes, 11L demos, lmao.

It's quite pathetic really, how some shop owners are making so few sales that they depend on selling demos to make some quick cash. But what they lack is simple math skills. Let's say your product is 200L, and your demo is 1L. For every 1 sucker who spend the 1L to buy your demo, you might have lost 2 potential customers who might have bought your product, but didn't bother after seeing the 1L demo sign. Let's say that 1 of every 10 potential customers you piss off might have bought your product, so that's 200L, vs 5L you made off of demos. /fail

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.