Skin creation question

Isadora Corral

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Working on making my own meshes is going to take a lot of time.. so, in the mean time I am looking to go back to something I love and enjoy doing... skins... Now, with all these mesh appliers and/or avatars... does anyone even still use regular skins? is it even worth the work put into them? Also, if all I need to do is make skin appliers, how would I even go about it? I took a break from SL for a bit and it's like math... you miss one day and you have no idea what's going on! 

Yes, mesh wearers wear regular skins. You're also going to use the same files you use for the skin for the appliers you're going to want to make to go with them. Most mesh wearers don't have mesh heads, for instances.

Mesh bodies and parts need the appliers for them to match the skin. I'd suggest the Omega and Slink appliers, and don't forget the Slink hands and feet as well. You'll be using the UUID from the skin texture you uploaded in the appliers. Don't worry about separate Lola/banned/sking/whatever appliers. Omega covers most of the mesh except for Slink and TMP. Slink is worth doing as it is one of the more popular bodies.

Those of us that wear mesh parts are always looking for skin designers that have appliers.

As for pricing, I don't suggest you offer the appliers for free unless you really want to. However, it would be nice to offer all the skin tones in one set rather than having to buy each color separately. I know I'm more inclined to buy other tones of the same skin if I know I have the applier in my inventory for it.

Although there are mesh body parts out there,  the majority of ladies I know may use hands and feet but stil prefer their regular body, sometimes adding boobs or butts but keeping the main body as it is..  reason being they know it and they can still use system clothing with it as well as regular mesh clothing if they want.  That means that there is lots of room for new and good skins.  But as previously mentioned the various appliers to go with each skin is also very important!   From what I have seen so far mesh bodies have too many limitations to completely take over yet.

• Like 1

I believe that that estimate is about 10% of the SL population uses any mesh additions. Many, you mention mesh body parts and they have no idea what you're talking about. So...huge market. Skin fair starts March 15, just take a look at the map the first few days and you'll see your potiential customer base. The sim/sims will be maxed out fhe first week, guaranteed.

• Like 1

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

I believe that that estimate is about 10% of the SL population uses any mesh additions. Many, you mention mesh body parts and they have no idea what you're talking about. So...huge market. Skin fair starts March 15, just take a look at the map the first few days and you'll see your potiential customer base. The sim/sims will be maxed out fhe first week, guaranteed.

Please tell me where you got this ridiculous stat. Here are some facts for you:

1. Tons of avatars are inactive and haven't been touched before mesh even came out

2. Please go into any ACTIVE fashion-related sim (e.g., a shop or a fashion fair) and tell me how many people you see that DON'T have slink feet/hands. I shop almost everyday and 99% of the people have at least the slink feet (because SL don't have recognizable human feet), 1/3 of the people have mesh bodies, roughly 10% of the people still wear mesh boobs, and at least half of the people have slink hands.

Unless you've been hanging out in fashion-backward sims with graphics that resemble Minecraft I have no clue how you can miss the complete takeover of mesh bodypart replacements. No idea what a mesh body part is? Lol. Yeah maybe if you ask someone who just rezzed onto newcomer island then they might not have an idea.

Honestly if people prefer to look outdated then it's their own choice, but stop spreading completely false information to make your own choices seem like the "majority choice".

Here are some REAL information for the potential mesh-based creator:

1. Almost all shops (that are actually make a profit) create only mesh clothing now, or at least offer appliers for their clothing layer stuff

2. 99.99% of hair shops offer only mesh hair

3. Fitted mesh tailored to certain bodies is increasing in popularity, which is good for users of mesh bodies. Maitreya just updated their line to support their body

4. If you don't offer appliers for your skin then expect a huge decrease in sales, period. It takes you all of 10 minutes to create an applier so I have no idea why you wouldn't make one

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

Yes, mesh wearers wear regular skins. You're also going to use the same files you use for the skin for the appliers you're going to want to make to go with them. Most mesh wearers don't have mesh heads, for instances.

Mesh bodies and parts need the appliers for them to match the skin. I'd suggest the Omega and Slink appliers, and don't forget the Slink hands and feet as well. You'll be using the UUID from the skin texture you uploaded in the appliers. Don't worry about separate Lola/banned/sking/whatever appliers. Omega covers most of the mesh except for Slink and TMP. Slink is worth doing as it is one of the more popular bodies.

Those of us that wear mesh parts are always looking for skin designers that have appliers.

As for pricing, I don't suggest you offer the appliers for free unless you really want to. However, it would be nice to offer all the skin tones in one set rather than having to buy each color separately. I know I'm more inclined to buy other tones of the same skin if I know I have the applier in my inventory for it.

Again incorrect. Here are some instructions for OP:

1. You DON'T use the same files for the feet and hands. If you do, expect your feet and hands to look completely bugged due to different UV mapping

2. You need to photoshop your body/legs (containing feet and hands) textures to match the mesh body's UV mapping. Mesh bodies provide you with their UV template and you need to airbrush out the contours that don't match the mapping

3. If you copy/paste the same UUID for lolas boobs, expect your boobs' texture to look distorted because the X/Y dimensions are set to 0.5, not 1. This is why you DO need to photoshop the chest texture for mesh boobs

Because extra work needs to be done, this is why most creators don't offer free appliers. It's nice that lots do offer free appliers though, because the body/legs do indeed use the same textures (most of the time, some creators choose to slightly edit it for mesh bodies). For the creators who just copy/paste the same UUID for body/leg textures which literally takes 10 seconds, and actually charge for it, they're just simply greedy.

I was referring specifically to mesh bodies..though that was a year ago. With main designers such as Belleza and Maitreya having now released their bodies, that stat has changed.

As for the hand/feet UV, I'm going by what has been said in the Omega appliers group discussing what bodies can use the full texture map for the hands and which can't. Immortals can, for instance. Belleza has a totally different map for their hands and feet. I remember Izara of 7 Deadly Skins, talking about it taking her 10 hours to redraw the hands and feet to match the Belleza body hands and feet.. Maitreya, the skin is fine, the nails are off a bit on the hands but the feet are fine.

Unless they have been living under a rock, everyone knows about mesh clothes/hair etc. By add ons, I was referring to breasts/bootys/hands/feet/ bodies. As stated above, that percentage has changed over the last year. But, on any given day, there are 50K or so people on at peak times. To say that even 10,000 of those are aware of mesh parts other than the breast implants/bootys, wouldn't be an exageration and that the other 40K that are on aren't really wouldn't be an exaggeration. Even 10K with an awareness is a lot of people.

Oh...and by the way, the mesh body parts wearers are my customers so I'm well aware of the statistics. And, there are still quite a few that won't wear mesh clothing because it doesn't fit their bodies and they don't want to make the changes to their avis that would be needed. Those are also my customers.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.