Question about mesh bodies and cloth designers

Laurent Bechir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I've seen around several mesh bodies (Mesh Project, Maitreya, Belleza), each one with its own developer kit. You have also Sli nk appliers, ... How do clothes designer manage to create clothing for all those bodies, appliers, ... without getting head aches ? On top of that each one of those bodies is quite expensive. I'd like to know the experience of designers doing clothes for mesh bodies on how they manage their creations to fit with these bodies. Are they doing appliers for all of them ? Are they choosing one mesh body brand for all their creations ?

I hope I'm clear with my question, but don't hesitate to ask for precisions if my question is not clear enough :)

Thank you

Well I can answer from my point of view..  the simple answer is .. I don't make any appliers or try to make clothes for meash bodies.  I create outfits and design clothing because I enjoy it I still make the odd oldfashioned non mesh skin outfit just because and I will make mesh outfits and that is all..  To keep up wth numerous mesh appliers and bodies,  would become tedious and take the joy out of mmy creations.  So after getting the appliers and trying to work with them,  I decided it was not worth it to waste the time on them and perhaps others can not see the joining lines where add on meets body I sure could and found it too frustrating!  My apologies to those who use add on parts and mesh bodies I mean no disrespect I just want to enjoy creating not make it a tediouis boring task.  I use add on feet and hands and might make the odd pair of shoes for the feet (not naming any specific brand).  But even at that if the outfit I want to wear doesn't work with the hands or feet I simply take them off. lol.  Like I said I design for fun and personal enjoyment, and if my items bring in some extra cash all the better, but it has to stay enjoyable for me.

• Like 1

Laurent Bechir wrote:

Hello,

I've seen around several mesh bodies (Mesh Project, Maitreya, Belleza), each one with its own developer kit. You have also Sli nk appliers, ... How do clothes designer manage to create clothing for all those bodies, appliers, ... without getting head aches ? On top of that each one of those bodies is quite expensive. I'd like to know the experience of designers doing clothes for mesh bodies on how they manage their creations to fit with these bodies. Are they doing appliers for all of them ? Are they choosing one mesh body brand for all their creations ?

I hope I'm clear with my question, but don't hesitate to ask for precisions if my question is not clear enough
:)

Thank you

Almost all mesh bodies/body parts use texture maps that are laid out the same way that the old system clothing textures are, so you can use very similar or identical textures to what you use for system clothing. The big thing an applier does is allow the texture to "talk" to the body without needing to give away too much proprietary information about either the body part or the clothing texture to the other party or the consumer. Each applier is therefore very similar to all of the others and can generally use the same textures. Some clothing makers use one HUD that can apply textures to many different bodies.

Fitted rigged mesh has to be properly rigged for each individual body though because they all use somewhat different weights and base meshes. Some of the mesh body makers have development kits for mesh clothing makers and some don't.

As for appliers, most of the mesh bods in SL are Omega compatible. Omega is a universal system that works the same way the regular specific appliers do. Omega doesn't works with Slink and TMP since those are closed systems, but for clothes, the system works with the other parts for just about everything, including skins with a caveat. Belleza doesn't use the SL map for the hands and feet so you can't use the Omega skin appliers for those.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.