Newbie Question about Jackets

Andy Thexios

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry if some of this is too newbie, any help appreciated

I was wondering how some jackets with different parts are made, like collars, hoods attached, buckle belts that stick out a bit from the avatar, rather than the ones that just apply a texture to a jacket layer. 

Is it sculpted prims?  I don't think I'm looking for mesh, where the whole jacket is one sculpted piece. 

I recently learned how to make a simple top with photoshop texturing and applying it, so I really wanted to know how to make a jacket with all those cool parts that stick out like pocket bags and wrinkled sleeves

Thanks so much for any answers

Yes, they are sculpted prims or simple prims (if they are flexible). You could make your own sculpted prims or use those premade ones sold as building aids on the marketplace and/or inworld. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?search%5Bcategory_id%5D=336&search%5Bmaturity%5D%5B%5D=General&search%5Bmaturity%5D%5B%5D=Moderate&search%5Bmaturity%5D%5B%5D=Adult&search%5Bpage%5D=1&search%5Bper_page%5D=12

Andy Thexios wrote:

oohh, i see, thanks for the reply.

I have a part 2 question about that..

So say i make a belt or pocket that sticks out from the jacket as separate sculpted prims, how would i link them together afterwards so when people wear it it goes on all at once

Maybe that's not a very good idea if you are planning to sell it because the shapes people are wearing varies so much that they would need to edit prim parts separately to fit them to their body. If the parts are all linked, it's harder to do so.

But if you want to do that by all means, stand on a pose stand to keep you from moving, drag and drop the prim parts from your inventory on your body on the ground, move them to proper location on your body, adjust their position and link them. (Read http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Build-Tools/ta-p/700039 to learn how to use the build/edit tool.) Take that linked object into your inventory, right-click on that, select Attach To, and then select an attachment point and adjust its position using the build/edit tool. (Read http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Avatar-attachments/ta-p/700031)

• Like 1

Non-mesh jackets are usually a jacket texture which you wear as a layer on your avatar and a set of prims that you attach seperately like hoods, pockets, sleeves, etc. They do have to be attached one by one. This is normal. When you sell it, the jacket pieces will end up in one folder. Most users understand how it works.

Also, if everything is in one folder, users can simply right click on the folder and click "add". This will add everything to the avatar at the same time.

Which attachment point you use for an attachment matter a lot.  If you link all attachments together and attach it to one point, then when the avatar moves the attachments will not move correctly.  For example if you have a belt and two sleeves and link them together and attach them to the stomach, the belt will move with the body correctly, but the sleeves will not follow the arm movements correctly.  They will stay in the one position while the arms move about.  Long prim sleeves actually need to be two prims, one for the upper arm and one for the lower for them to move with the arm correctly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4205 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.