Mesh vs system clothing

Anestacia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Anestacia wrote:

Mesh vs system clothing/prims.

What do you prefer?

That is what some people call "a religion question".

Catholic vs. Protestant

Republican vs. Democrat

Mac vs. PC

Cat vs. Dog

Mesh vs.. System

Actually, there are real pros and cons for both mesh and system clothing. (there are in the above choices, also). Perhaps some prople who have used both can fill us in.

A mix of whatever works best.

There's little point in mesh underwear, it never sits tight enough unless made specifically for the shape and even if it, typically pokes through anything higher.  So it's fine if you want it as the only garments but it won't layer well, I prefer system layer underwear.

Mesh for things like jackets, dresses, skirts, anything which needs "body" and isn't supposed to be tight fitting like a tank top, which again is usually better as a system layer item.

Either way, wear what you like best for the situation.

• Like 1

As both a designer and a consumer I find that both system clothing and mesh can and do work well together in many situations.  It all depends on the over all look you want.  I agree that underwear and in most cases swimwear and any tight fitting clothing works best as system clothing,  skirts definitely work best in mesh and that incudes most dresses, mesh pants are next to impossible if you want to wear knee boots so in those cases system pants work best.  And often times system pants are a must to fit with some mesh tops or jackets, I hate having to wear a mesh top or jaket 2 sizes too big just to fit over mesh pants so the pants don't poke through the top or jacket.  And now with mesh bodies, appliers solve the system layer problem.  

Having said all that, it is of course a matter of taste and choice,  but I see no reason why anyone would have to pick one over the other.  If an outfit looks good then it looks good either all system or all mesh or a combination of both.  When I started SL 10 years ago we did not have such choices, but just because system layers were he original way of making clothing doesn't mean it is antiquated or of no use now.

• Like 1

There have been some good comments here. I agree with them.

I just to add another factor: simplicity.

System clothes allow you to pick and choose more easily. You don't have to worry about compatibility with the layer underneath. In RL, in the morning I put on the underwear I like and then pick other clothes from my closet, worrying about such things as color, what is best for the day's activities, weather, etc. It's the same with SL (except no worries about weather :) ) With system clothes I pick what ever I want to wear and do not worry about whether underwear will be sticking though outer wear. My bra will not stick through my suit jacket.

It is also easier for me to make system clothes. I simply draw what I want in GIMP or other program and upload it. I do not make SL clothes for sale; only for me and for a few SL friends.

There are things I don't like about system clothes. One is the fact that dresses take two separate garments - a top and a skirt. Also there is the butt problem with skirts. And the fact that only one garment at a time can be worn on the skirt layer. I cannot have a sheer or lace skirt with a slip underneath. I do have lace tops that I wear over camisoles with a compatible color. In RL I do the same thing with complete dresses.

The important thing for me is that I make SL clothes for my own enjoyment, usually on a laptop while waiting at an airport or the lobby of a building. I might feel differently under different circumstances.

Marybeth

BLOG

The only thing I forgot to note in my original comment with regrds to system layer clothes, is that the skirt layer has always been and still is totally useless, it is the only layer I will not use or wear..  makes one look like they are wearing a bubble or a barrel...  lol..

Tazzie,

I agree. However, I do use the skirt layer in spite of all of its faults. I like to make skirts, dresses, slips, and night gowns, all of which use the skirt layer. I could use mesh to do a better job, but I can draw something on my tablet in GIMP while sitting in an airplane and then upload it as soon as we land and I am out of airplane mode. Most of my time making SL clothes is while I am on a plane, waiting in an airport, or waiting elsewhere. Since it is only a hobby (I do not sell in SL or RL) ease of use is a major factor.

The sad thing is that much of the problem with the skirt layer (e.g. the well known butt problem) could easily be fixed by LL, if only they would. 

Marybeth

BLOG

Which then brings up the question, how good is good enough?  2 hours of work from picking up a latop it waering it in world is not going to have the details and realism of a 40+ hours of work no matter what the medium.

Yes, you can make system clothes faster than mesh clothes. 

This is a nice looking bra. https://marybethcooperstone.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/checkered-bra.jpg  It was elf made so cost 10L$ to make.

This is a nice one too but it is mesh.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Diva-Mesh-Strapless-Bikini-in-Black-Summer-2014-Dollarbie/6106477

It costs 1L$ on the market place. 

[ETA]

OK, that came ou snippy and I really did not intend to.  Speed and eash of creation are the sytem clothes strong points and was what SL was designed to do.  You made a custom piece, same day as it was asked for and I would bet you did not ask for anything in return.

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Which then brings up the question, how good is good enough?  2 hours of work from picking up a latop it waering it in world is not going to have the details and realism of a 40+ hours of work no matter what the medium.

Yes, you can make system clothes faster than mesh clothes. 

I Agree

This is a nice looking bra.
It was elf made so cost 10L$ to make.

Thanks. That took a little less than 2 hours. I was wearing that bra, sitting in front of a mirror, and using Gimp. The fact that so much of it (between the blue strips) was extremely sheer (10% opacity) made it take longer to create. My only cost was the L$10 (about 4 cents US) to upload -  actually that one I uploaded 3 times (about 12 cents US) before I was satisfied.

This is a nice one too but it is mesh.

It costs 1L$ on the market place. 

Yes, that is a nice looking one. I have far more bras than I need (SL and RL), but otherwise I would buy it.

[ETA]

OK, that came ou snippy and I really did not intend to.  Speed and eash of creation are the sytem clothes strong points and was what SL was designed to do.  You made a custom piece, same day as it was asked for and I would bet you did not ask for anything in return.

Many people like to shop, in SL as well as in RL. Others like to create and sell, and some are actually making money. My interest is creating clothes for my own use, and use for a few friends, not for sale. Since I am busy with my RL work and family, most of the time I spend on SL or making SL clothes is while I am waiting somewhere or on a plane. Typically, I spend about 1 to 2 hours on one garment. The software I use (Gimp) has to run on my tablet.

I use a lot of lace and sheer, particularly on underwear and night gowns - also on tops that will be worn over camisoles of a slightly different color.

I know that there is more that can be done with mesh and Blender; I just don't want to invest the time. But if I were making SL clothes to sell I would probably use more mesh and spend far more time on each project.

I would really like to use Maya; I have seen it demonstrated. But it is expensive and certainly won't run on my little tablet.

Marybeth

• 3 weeks later...

in my opinion i think tesxtured clothing looks much better on the emsh bodies than it does on the system bodies

i have the maitreya mesh body i i ofetn have problems with getting mesh stuff fitting right as some of the alpha sections on it are too big i.e around the top of legs and the back,tummy area and the breasts too which can be annoying :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.