Making Sheer Clothing?

MysticDraggy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!  I am trying to understand how to make more sheer clothing using GIMP.  I've looked at Robin Woods alpha channel blog as I figured it probably has something to do with that.  I was dropping the opacity down on the layers, but that doesn't seem to be the right thing. That just makes it lighter on the person.  I have laces I want to use, but I want them to look more transparent, not invisibile. :)

Is this done somehow through the RGB channels? or is there another way?

Thanks so much!

:) Mystic

MysticDraggy wrote:

I've looked at Robin Woods alpha channel blog as I figured it probably has something to do with that.  I was dropping the opacity down on the layers, but that doesn't seem to be the right thing. That just makes it lighter on the person.

Yes, that's the right thing. Make sure you make the background layer invisible when you save it as a TGA or PNG file.

I meant "dropping the opacity down on the layers" is the right thing. Just make sure the background layer is invisible when you save it as a TGA or PNG file bacause the OP sounds like you save it with a white background or as a file which doesn't support alpha channel.

I frequently make sheer lingerie. For lace, I usually have one layer with a low opacity and another, higher layer, with a higher opacity. I draw the lace pattern (usually a floral design) on the higher, more opaque, layer.

I have also used this technique to make sheer tops that I wear (my avatar wears) over a more opaque cami or tank top.

Marybeth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.