Making Lace - how?

vickiadams

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is for anyone who makes lace items, particularly bras but other things as well, using GIMP.

How hard is it?

Do you import lace from a download, copy it from something like an online catalog photo, or draw it?

How is the best way to make lace?

I am going to make some new bras, and I would like to try my hand at lace. Both unlined sheer bras and lined bras but with lace on them.

I know that Marybeth said, on another thread, "Actually, bras with lots of lace are the most fun for me to make, so I have many of them." so maybe she will tell me more, but I would like to hear from others with experience designing clothes (all kinds) with lace.

If you look at your own lace bras, or lace bras on websites of stores, you will notice several things about bra lace:

Unlike lace on sheer curtains and other things, the lace on bras are not repeating patterns, but a number of random elements put together. Here is a snap shot (not good - using my cell phone camera) of one of my bras. Notice the scalloped neckline has one kind of lace, and the cup has several kinds. In this case, the gore (middle, between the cups) has a ribbon.

bra lace.jpg

I found that I could simply draw the lace that I wanted using the pencil in Gimp. It is like doodling, which I have done for years on pads of paper while killing time. But in Gimp I keep one had on the mouse, drawing small elements (leaf, flower petal, etc.) and the other hand on ctrl-z (undo). I make an attempt, hit undo, make another, hit undo, etc. until I have what I want. Then I can duplicate it, flip it, change orientation, etc. and make many copies of that element. Bloom elements can be made by making an oval, duplicating it, changing the orientation by 45 degrees, duplicating, etc.

Typically I place an element such as a bloom - very symmetrical - in the gore, circles (such as in the picture) in scallops on the neckline or below the band (bottom). The cup is covered with leaves, blooms, etc. The side panels may have some of the same elements as the cup, but towards the back I usually go for a curvy line (vine) with leaves coming from it. I need something long and thin.

In general, I draw lace on one layer which has 100% opacity. That is in front of a layer with a lower opacity that is in the shape of the bra. So the area between the lace elements are semi-transparent.

If you look at some store websites, such as Macy’s  - for example:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/wacoal-bra-silver-halo-lace-seamless-underwire-bra-65149?ID=153450&CategoryID=55799#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D597%26ruleId%3D22%26slotId%3D18

or

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/lunaire-bra-sevilla-embroidered-demi-bra-14011?ID=246717&CategoryID=225&LinkType=PDPZ1

you will see that the lace on bras is very irregular, almost random, with a mixture of types of elements. It takes some patience at first to draw it, but, after a while (with one hand on ctrl-z to undo) it becomes a relaxing thing to do.

I will be happy to answer any questions about details. I use Gimp, so photoshop may be a little different.

Marybeth

• Like 1

Is that really a picture of you, Marybeth (the real person, not the avitar)? Something I have been wanting to see!

Not that I have seen too many bras, but until you pointed it out, I had never realized that the lace was different from what I am used to seeing on other things. I could probably draw lace, if I had the desire to do that.

Bob,

That picture actually isn’t me. I realized later that I uploaded one similar to the picture of me, and the description (“the scalloped neckline has one kind of lace, and the cup has several kinds….”) is from that picture. I actually have that exact bra and have made a similar one for second life.

The picture that is of me is:

bra worn.jpg

Similar enough to get confused.

A few notes: Don’t try to cut and paste from a picture. Not only are there copyright issues but it simply won’t work. If you don’t enjoy drawing the lace yourself, I strongly recommend the Trendy Templates psd files from Stella Gravois:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/TT-Lingerie-Bras-Creation-Kit-with-PSD/2335179

I have bought them. Bra 3 is the one with the lace, and it is very nice looking. It is a demi with halter strap but you can use the lace with any type of bra you are making. But personally, I enjoy making lace.

Marybeth

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4150 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.