IS IT POSSIBLE?

LincolnGabriel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

so i am curious to know, is it possible to take an existing shadow map and layer it so that certain areas are transparent thus leaving it non existant in sl? i am working with a pair of niramyth boxers. using the SM that came with it. i am wanting to turn said boxers into something a bit more provactive. i have searched for the answer but cant seem to find it. didnt want to begin testing and spend hours/lindens working towards something that isnt possible to begin. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have never tried anything like that with mesh texture maps so I have no idea if it would work,  but if I were to try it, in photoshop I would erase all the areas on the map that I did not want to show up,  and make a .tga file using an alpha layer and hopefully when applied it would render the desired areas transparent.  Just a guess lol.

And it shouldn't cost you anything, you can do a temp upload of the texture map on the mesh until you get it right or decide it doesn't work.

Yes you can use a transparent texture on parts of clothing you are creating a texture for.  Be sure to make a copy of the shadow map BEFORE you do that though in case you ever want to use it as it came. 

Note that if you do this and someone wears something over it or under it with a texture that has an alpha layer, they most likely will get an alpha layer conflict and it may result in it looking weird.  Textures can look solid but still contain an alpha layer depending on how the texture was created.  (alpha layers are transparent)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.