How can i put laces on my clothes?

Hassel85

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Hassel,

When you wear an object, it mounts to one of many attachment points on the avatar skeleton, and thereafter follows the movements of that joint. The default attachment point is the (I think) right hand. Unless you specify a different attachment point, that's where a previously never worn object will go.

So, what you must do is figure out which attachment point most closely corresponds to the clothing item you're decorating. For a pair of swim trunks, that might be the pelvis. While right-clicking your object in inventory, select "Attach to". This will drop a list of attachment points. Select pelvis.

Now that your laces are on the pelvis, they'll probably be in some weird orientation and location, perhaps even inside the avatar body. Open the Edit window and try to select the laces, then wrench them into position with Move and Rotate as you would for any object. The placement of the laces will be relative to the pelvis, so when the avatar moves, the laces will follow. If the laces don't follow the swim trunks as you wish, you might try attaching to spine. You'll have to resposition each time you pick a different attachment point.

Once you've got your laces attached to the right place and oriented correctly, you can simply take them off. They'll remember the last attachment point and orientation forevermore and you can just "Wear" or "Add" them again in the future.

Good luck!

As Madeline said that is the way to do it.  I would just like to add a little something to keep in mind.  If you are using a classic avatar the laces probably will perform correctly as far as movement with the body goes.  However, I have found that using a mesh body, usually any object attached such as a belly ring, does not stay where you want it unless it is rigged mesh,  it will move off to the right or left with the body underneath the mesh and not follow the mesh at all.  This is actually very annoying.

And if you linked the laces, make sure that the laces are not the main object in the link.. if they are then that will cause the laces to rule the position.  If the pants or swim trunks are the main object then the laces should follow the position of the tunks.  So maybe just try unlinking,  and relinking making sure the trunks are the last thing you click before linking.

• Like 1

If the shorts are rigged mesh and the laces are not, then linking them will not work, whether the shorts are linked last or not. The laces will appear on whatever attachment point the shorts use and won't move with the shorts.  If you position the laces on the pelvis or spine they would need to be a separate attachment from the shorts, and even then will clip through the shorts as you move.  You will need to get shorts with laces built in to the mesh, or wear texture layer shorts and make the laces an attachment (yes, probably the spine or pelvis).  Mixing rigged mesh and non rigged prim attachments together just makes for a clippy weird mess.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.