How are Demos created?

MediocreTalent Starship

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can anyone briefly explain what a "demo version" is? Meaning, is it the regular version of an object with an added tattoo layer, or is it an entirely seperate thing? How are they created, and is it different for Mesh VS prim? Are demo versions created by the designers or builders in the programs they create the products, or is it something that can be bought and added to products? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

A demo is something that shows off how the item you are selling is supposed to look on your avatar, so you can confirm the quality, if there are any fitting issues, etc. If it is a hair you are selling, usually the creators rez a box, slap a DEMO lettering as texture on that box and link it to the hair, so the customer can still use the hair, for testing purposes, later on, if they like it, they buy the full version without any watermarks, the same happens for pants, shirts, etc, you just make a non textured version or put a watermark around your product and ship it, normally at either 0L$ or 1L$ cost. Not rocket science! The designers make this themselves

Thanks for the reply, but I was afraid that i worded the question wrong...I know what a demo is, in terms of what it's purpose is, what I was interested in finding out if it is, say on a skin, a tattoo layer that is seperate from the item or is the Demo item just textured differently from the first. Like with skins for example - it will usually say DEMO across the skin - is that and added tattoo layer or did the creator make a copy version of the original with those words on it? Or hair sometimes has the box or the big demo sign, but sometimes certain strands of the hair are colored or textured differently. Is that a tattoo? or a prim? or is it a seperate version of the product itself?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.