Fashion Blog help..

avashleymarie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I've been on Second life for quite a while and enjoy fashion a lot! Iam a total shopoholic and enjoy putting together outfits and I also love interior design! I want to help people find awesome unique items SL has to offer as well as new items too! I like giving my opinion on things and LOVE writing and yeah lol. I just have a few questions though.. and if anyone out there who is currently blogging could help, I'd be ever so thankful, Ive listed them here.Thanks again!

1.Is Flickr or tumblr considered an acceptable blog page?If not any *free*webpage advice for beginners?

2.Do you need to ask the creater for permission to blog about their item?

3. I want to give my honest opinion on things and that includes negative things.. is that something frowned upon? Is it best to just leave negative things out of your blog and just show off the positive?

Thanks so much for any replies <3

wow lots of questions:)  Well all I can do is respond as a creator if that is ok. 

As far as I know, Flickr and Tumblr are not considered "real" blogs..  of course I could be wrong on that.

Yes it is always a good thing to ask any creator for permission to blog their items just as a courtesy. 

As for blogging both negative and positive things in a blog..  here it is as I see it.  Everyone, is different, we all have differnent tastes and favourite types of clothing in SL.. So what you might see as a negative, someone else might see as a positive.  So keeping that in mind, I am sure you do not want to destroy someones work by blogging negatively,  so yes just blog on what you see as positilve.   Most bloggers that I know, see something they like, and ask the creator if they can blog on it..  and that usually results in the blogger getting a free version of what ever clothing it is, so the blogger can wear it and put it in any setting they see fit to use for it.  Just using a pic provided in an item is not pernission to use it and I might add not very creative either lol.  

Blogging is an art in itself, and I believe there must be integrity and consideration for the creator in everything that is blogged.  

Hope this helps give you some insight from a creator's perspective. 

Long time blogger with close to 5000 posts here.  This is what I know.

http://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/

Yes, Flickr is now considered a "blog" (I personally do not agree but that's how it is). That being said it is BETTER to also have a blog on Wordpress or Blogger where you post ALL THE CREDITS. This is very typical these days -- a large FLICKR photo  with a link to a blog post with pertinent info.

You do not need permission to blog anyone's items.

It is really best NOT to criticise. If you cannot say something good about it, then simply do not blog about it. A blog is not a rant page. If you want to rant, then use the forums LOL.

Edit: You can certainly give honest warnings. For example in my post yesterday I showed lots of great photos and a hud of a free gift from one of my long time creator "partners" . I mentioned that rigged hair would not fit the doll head (it was big). I framed it in a pleasing way that was not a derogatory statement, simply fact. 

" Now Bea has a head on her shoulders, so rigged mesh won't be her style. This gives you a great opportunity to dig around in your old favorites (mod will be necessary almost certainly) to find a fitting "do".  A little stretching and readjustment and she will be all set.   My antique style is about six years old, from Maitreya as part of fantastic blogger gift (back when there were very few bloggers) :D. Still looks good. "

The creator sent me a note today and LOVED the post (yes in caps). So you CAN be honest.

When you can, (after a certain time period and amount of bloggage I think) join a group like SL Blogger Support which can help you a lot with your blog.

PS. I know nothing really about Tumbler. Most folks use Wordpress and Flickr and then Blogger (Chic waves hand).  

Good luck blogging and have fun.

The answer to 1 and 2 is no. 

I have a bit of a different take on this.  Is your blog going to review fashions or just put out news about new releases etc?

If a review

Getting freebie clothes because you asked to blog them puts you under some obligation to give positive reviews.  I'd feel you were giving more honest reviews about clothes if I knew you weren't getting them for free.  I would appreciate an honest review myself.  Just stay away from subjective things unless you make it clear it's just one person's opinion, because to some it may be beautiful and other's ugly.  I want reviews on the quality.  Are the textures good?  Does the texture on a jacket match the pants or skirt if it's supposed to in color and scale? Do they match at the seams? Do the mesh clothes run true to size?  Do they fit the avatars they say they will?    You can't answer these and other questions or others honestly if you are getting your clothes from the creator IMO.

If it's just a news blog...

Then go ahead and let the designer know if you are blogging it so you can get those freebies.  You should since you are providing promotion.  Its a cheap way for the creator to get out the news out there. Go ahead and say something is cute, or beautiful because that's the kind of hype you expect from promotions.  

Just don't be a review blog masquerading as a news blog. 

Thank you so much for the creater perspective <3 So very nice of you to take time to respond to me !! I so agree with you, blogging is an art in itself! Your comment has indeed given me plenty of insight especially on whether to blog the bad stuff too or not! Thanks again!!! <3

Thank you so much for replying!! You are a great blogger! I took time and scanned your pages and wow! Youve done alot of hard work <3 I havent heard of wordpress but so far I can see its free and Iam so happy about that! So having a Flickr and seperate blog page would be beneficial then.. noted! The permission thingy was the hard part for me to understand and youre quite clear ty! For me it isnt really to get noticed by the creaters for free stuff , its more about doing something I like to do and I can feel that you feel the same way! You put lots of yourself into your blog and thats what i want to do <3Thank you so much for your great wishes!! I will have the best time starting this!

That is a great question I have to ask myself Amethyst, review or news... I'm not quite sure myself.. I have some thinking to do on that and what i truly love doing the best.. Thank you so much for your comment<3 Truly appreciated! I didnt really see the difference between review blogs and news blogs until now! Such a great point! Thanks so much again!

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.