Basic Slips

Mirika Drasilova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's a good reason for that. In order to be worn "under" your skirt, the slip would have to be made either as (1) an item of standard clothing that is "painted" on the underwear layer or (2) an attachment.  A slip that is made on the underwear layer is frankly not very convincing.  It doesn't flow when you move, and it looks sort of like a pencil skirt.  You can find slips like that, mostly in the freebie bins, but they look very old-fashioned by today's SL standards.  A slip that's made as an attachment is more promising because it can be made as a flexi item or as mesh.  You will have to look, but there are some out there.  You can't expect to wear them under your skirts, though.  You'll have to wear them instead of them.  Otherwise, they'll overlap with your skirt and poke through as you walk. Again, not exactly what you had in mind.

As an aside: You'll find that dressmakers have often created two-layer skirts or dresses -- essentially two skirts worn at once, with the inner one being somewhat transparent.  That can create a filmy sort of appearance as the two skirts interact with each other.  Very nice, actually, although it's not really what you expect of a RL slip.

I wouldn't say it's a non-starter, but you do have to think differently about clothes in SL than you do in RL.  Many (most?) women in SL don't bother wearing a bra, for example, because there's nothing to hold up. Unless you plan to prance around in your underwear (which people do), there's little point in wearing hidden clothing.  On those special occasions when you want to disrobe and want something like a slip to be visible, you learn to add it as you take off the skirt that was there before, so that it seems to have been there all along.  And if you're a designer and you want the effect of having the hint of a slip showing at the bottom of your skirt, you draw that as part of the skirt texture itself rather than as a separate item. 

Rolig Loon wrote:

Many (most?) women in SL don't bother wearing a bra, for example, because there's nothing to hold up.

This holds for me in RL as well, as my elderly neighbor/second mother likes to point out. My hair is also apparently far too short. I did threathen to grow it long and stuff it in my bra.

I make clothes (hobby only, not for sale) in SL that are similar to what I wear in RL. One of the things I wear in RL is a dress that is somewhat transparent, with a slip worn under it. However, in SL you can have only one item in the skirt layer (unlike other layers). So, what I have is, for the top, a 75% opaque blue top with a yellow cami under it (just like in RL). For the skirt I cannot do that, so I had to make a skirt texture with two layers. The top layer is 75% opaque blue and the bottom layer is yellow, very slightly shorter. My SL dress looks like my RL one. However, unlike the RL dress and the SL top, on the SL skirt I cannot mix and match colors. For example, in RL I also have a dark blue slip I sometimes wear with the blue dress. I have some SL slightly transparent tops that I can wear with whichever color cami I want. But that won't work with skirt/slip combinations.

two layer blue yellow dress.jpg

Regarding slips - If, in SL, you put on a slip and then a skirt, the slip disappears. But if you take off the skirt, the slip will immediately appear.

Regarding Bras - I am one of those who wears a bra in SL. Most of the tops I make are at least slightly transparent, so the bra makes a slight appearence under the top. Just like in RL. But even when you can't see it, I wear bras in SL. I don't can't explain why. There is nothing to hold up in SL (and little in RL:) ).  I also can't explain why I wear very nice looking (some might say very sexy) bras in RL even when wearing a suit and nobody can see the bra. I just like to.

Marybeth

FLICKER

Mirika,

The "basic slips" you have links to are the kind I, and many women, wear in RL. In fact, the one from the Sears catalog looks almost exactly like one I recently bought (from some other store) and the one from National is the very one I just ordered. (I often order from them).

However, basic underwear like what you (or what I) would wear in RL doesn't seem to be sold much in Second Life. That is why some of us make our own clothes in SL.

Also, for slips, one of the reasons for wearing them in RL doesn't apply to SL - in RL slips are more comfortable on my legs than the inside of skirts. Comfort doesn't matter in SL.

However, another reason for wearing slips in RL is that often skirts and dresses are slightly transparent, particularly with light weight fabric for summer use. In SL, as in RL, I often wear tops and dresses that are more than slightly transparent, with a solid (that is, not lace) slip underneath. I do the same with tops in SL, but not with skirts, as I will explain.

In SL, only one garment can be worn on the skirt layer. Other layers allow multiple items using the ADD function. But if I put on a slip, and then add a transparent skirt, the slip disappears and you see my panties through the skirt. Take off the skirt and the slip appears immediately.

I still sometimes in SL wear a slip "under" an opaque skirt. Fortunately, it is easy to make slips using Photoshop or GIMP. They can be made opaque or, like the Sears slip you link to, slightly transparent.

"However, basic underwear like what you (or what I) would wear in RL doesn't seem to be sold much in Second Life."

Very true.

"often skirts and dresses are slightly transparent, particularly with light weight fabric for summer use. In SL, as in RL"

I have seen a number of semi-transparent tops, worn with solid camisoles underneath, and some dresses worn with full solid slips in RL. But I don't see any of that in SL. Is it possible to make semi-transparent clothes in SL? Can you modify (assuming you have MOD permission) an article of clothing in SL to be semi-transparent?

AnnAdams: "I have seen a number of semi-transparent tops, worn with solid camisoles underneath, and some dresses worn with full solid slips in RL."

I have noticed the same thing. More use of semi-transparent tops with solid cami's in RL, but not for sale in SL. I wear them in both RL and SL.

" Is it possible to make semi-transparent clothes in SL?"

Yes. In GIMP you set the opacity for a layer to something less than 100% I usually use about 95% for light weight material not really intended to be transparent, and about 60% for things that are intended to be transparent. This is for making tga files for use on "system" clothing.

"Can you modify (assuming you have MOD permission) an article of clothing in SL to be semi-transparent?"

As far as I know, you can't (at least with system clothing). The opacity (or transparancy) is set in GIMP or photoshop before the tga file is uploaded.

The picture below shows me (my avi) with a top that is about 40% opacity - exagerated to show effect. The dark cami under it is about 95% opacity. Note that the bra underneath the cami slightly shows through.

I am wearing a slip that is 100% opaque. If it were about 95% you could barely see my pantie underneath.

trans green top and opaque slip.jpg

Marybeth

FLICKR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.