Advanced lighting for clothes causing issues

bebejee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I picked up some sequined effect demo outfits that require advanced lighting to be turned on to get that sparkly look, the problem is that foot shapers are appearing through the shoes  and alpha layers are not working when the lighting is on.

Another thing I want to know is if nobody has advanced lighting on, whats the point in crating such clothes that only look good on your screen, because when I turned off the lighting my dress became a dull grey outfit no shine orr highlights, is that how others were seeing it when my screen was showing it as something else?

What is the purpose of advanced lighting other than this, why is it causing issues with shoes and alphas? the effect on surroundings when the lighting is turned on is not even noticeable so what is it really meant for?

It is not the foot shaper, but the invisprim, that took advantage of a bug in SL but no longer works for most people. That bug was corrected with the introduction of Advance Lighting.  You need to wear an alpha on your foot now.    All new shoes come with an alpha and there are also free packs of them for a variety of shoes on MP.

Advance lighting is used by a good number of people now.  You don't have to have your computer set on high end graphics to use it or elect to have shadows either.  Even if you turn off your Advance Lighting everyone that runs it will see you feet sticking through your shoe, while alphas work with Advance Lighting on or off.

Advance lighting allows you to see all lights so you are not limited to 4.  Designers are also using it to create special lighting effects that are more realistic than standard lighting.  Advance Lighting also lets you see materials texturing which is more like RL.   AL is needed too for shadows that actually follow the sun if you turn shadows on.  Overall it makes SL much more realistic than it was.

• Like 1

I use Firestorm only, the aplhas were also not coming on as i mentioned in my original post, tried wearing them but didnt work, when I turned off the lighting everything was back to normal except the dresses which looked like an unrezzed grey item, the transformation of that dress with lighting on was really cool.

So is advanced lighting default in SL own viewer? I would like everyone to see my clothes in a nice way not just on my own screen.

• 2 months later...

And don't forget, even if *you* do not use advanced materials, all the people who do will see your ugly feet, unless you find an appropriate alpha mask for the shoes in question. There are free masks available on MP. So you can still use the obsolete invisiprim shoes, but it takes a bit of effort.

I have tried creating some clothing using mateial, specular and texture maps making sure that all maps had the exact same layout so that each lined up prefectly,  I then created the dress (in this case)  and turned on advanced lighting,  and at first there was absolutely no difference at all between advanced lighting on or off.  After playing with the settings on the specular layer increasing one,  decreasing another, etc.  I managed to get some sort of bling like flash to appear on the shoulder area only.  I wore the dress around a bit to clubes etc to see if movement made any difference and noted that it did but only slightly,  the sparkle effect I wanted was minimal and restricted to the top area like the advanced lighing only struck down from above and nothing under the shoulders or part of the upper chest and back showed any sign of sparkle,  and I wanted the whole dress to do that..  In the end I elected NOT to create clothing using these layers or use advanced lighting.. Turning off advanced lighting to me renders material just the same as if materials was not used..  not grey and dull but the texture used looks the same with lighting on or off..  

Personally I think this concept needs a lot of work,  and the lighting also needs a lot of work for it to be of much value to EVERYONE.  

Oh and since I do not use invisiprims at all in anything I wear,  or make,  I have not been overly concerned with that issue,  I removed the invisiprims on all boots and shoes that I could (if modifyable)  and started using alpha layers instead ages ago..  I just dumped anything I could not modify to take out the innvisiprims.  Not that it matters to me as I rarely use advanced lighting anyhow since I do not see enough advantage to using yet anyhow.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.