A bit of a rant aimed at mesh creators

Bobbie Faulds

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After changing the attachment point...again....I'm going to rant a bit. ANY object that you attach to an avi is attached, by default, to the right hand. You only have 5 things you can attach to any attachment point. That means it fills up in a hurry if you have a designer that doesn't take the time, or doesn't know any better, to change where your mesh attaches.

If you're doing a hair, your right click then attach to, and choose a spot. Basic mesh, if it's rigged, it doesn't matter where you attach it, it's still going to go where you want it to. So chose a right shoulder. It's not used very often. Same for a dress or a top. Or use a right or left pec. Skirt, head for a hip or upper arm.

It really annoys me when I'm in a hurry and go to add an item and can't cause everything's attached to my right hand. I usually move it, but sometimes get busy. So, I have to stop and attach it elsewhere then I go ahead and move everything else as well.

Make your customers happy, manually attach your mesh somewhere rather than letting it go to the default right hand.

I hate this too Bobbie. 

And i think there is no excuse for not changing the attaching point of a rigged mesh before packing an item.

It's not because of the limitation, but because i used to have attached to my right hand .... well... my mesh right hand. and if i wasnt careful and clicked on wear instead of add, then i was losing my hand, and again, i had to dive in my inventory to find it back.

Or, you are wearing a dress (attached to a hand), then you want to take a drink, you are not careful, and bam ! you are without the dress !

So now, everytime im wearing something new, i check where it is attached and if it's on the hand, i unwear it and i attach it to left pec or left hip. 

The items i create and sell are ALL set to be attached elsewhere than on the hand. It takes less than 5 seconds to set them to a right attachement point. And it's a must do imho.

But well, people are lazy.

LL is going to change these limitations. instead of 5 attachments per attachment point it is going to be 60 attachments in total wherever you want to attach them. So there's really no point in making a fuss about this now since it will be solved in the near future anyway....

I'd make a fuss even then. As a designer, I abhor lazy practices some designers use. Many of the ones that leave the mesh attached to the default right hand are buying ready made templates, texturing them, then putting them up for sale. There's nothing wrong with that as I do that with some accompaniment pieces with my designs. Part of the point is being professional and following through with those finishing touches. It takes just a few seconds to change the attachment point and those few seconds are the difference between a finished product and one that is made by a person that is doing cookie cutter clothing.

As there is confusion about attachment points and clothing layers, the truth can be found here:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

I copy some of the text from the link here:

• Max. number of attachments - 38 combined HUD or body attachments.
    • You can attach up to 38 total objects, and they can all be attached to a single point [if you select foolishly to do so].
  • Max. number of clothing layers including alpha, tattoo, shoe base, physics, socks, gloves, undershirt, underpants, shirt, pants, jacket, skirt
    • On viewers from before the layer limits project: 5 per slot
    • On viewers with revised layer limits: up to 60 total, no per-slot limit. As of March 2015, this is only available in project viewers.

So nothing changes concerning the maximum number of attachment points for attachments.

What will change is the maximum number of clothing layers (which will be 60), and the limit of 5 per slot (i.e. clothing layer) goes away. Thus, for example, we can wear sixty tattoo layers if we wear nothing else.

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

I'd make a fuss even then. As a designer, I abhor lazy practices some designers use. Many of the ones that leave the mesh attached to the default right hand are buying ready made templates, texturing them, then putting them up for sale. There's nothing wrong with that as I do that with some accompaniment pieces with my designs. Part of the point is being professional and following through with those finishing touches. It takes just a few seconds to change the attachment point and those few seconds are the difference between a finished product and one that is made by a person that is doing cookie cutter clothing.

t's not lazy.. I have had people complain no matter where the attachment point was.. I made a scarf at one point, attached to the neck(where else) got several complaints "it removed my collar" Well why didn't you hit add instead of wear? "I thought it would attach to my hand like every other mesh item."

Or the "why is my dress attached to my pec/hip/shoulder?"

So, screw it, my stuff attaches to your hand. you want it to attach to something else, move it.

There is no attach limit per attach spot. The only problem this causes is preventing unrigged objects from being inspected. Ever had problems inspecting someone's shoes? Or maybe a small skirt? This is the problem right here, because shoes are attached to the right hand, so if you right click the shoes SL will act like there's nothing at where you're clicking. There is something weird with the way rigged objects detect clicks.

Suki Hirano wrote:

There is something weird with the way rigged objects detect clicks.

There indeed is something weird how rigged objects detect clicks. Sometimes - on the very same worn rigged mesh - the click works, the object gets selected, then sometimes it mysteriously does not work.

• 2 weeks later...

Bobbie Faulds wrote:

I understand that and do that. The point is, the CREATOR/DESIGNER should be doing it. That's all

And if the creator decides to attach skirts to the pelvis and you want it on stomach, then what? Or shirts to the left shoulder but that displaces your shoulder pet, will that start a new rant? Just attach them where you want. It's not rocket science.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.