1980's FASHIONS

Tymm Sparkle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rolig Loon wrote:

I can't remember ... did we have fashions in the 1980s?  I think I lost that decade.  :smileytongue:

Hey! That was the decade of big hair. I rolled mine around soup cans and I can still see the hairspray overshoot on my bathroom door.

This is the look I wanted...I Dream of Big Hair.jpg

I refuse to show the look I achieved.

Tymm, are you primarily interested in male or female fashions? Either way, a denim jacket and big sneakers would help. And wear bright colors!

Wear a mullet at your own peril.

Actually both, I love the laced fingerless gloves and those thin rubber like bracelets, I also loved crimped hair for the girls and the glam metal hairstyles for the guys, plus I loved the hairstyles from Jem and the Holograms, I faved the Holograms hair but it disappeared

• 3 weeks later...

Tazzie Tuque wrote:

lol Tymm I know I must have missed the 80's as well,  can't remember any of the top 40 music,

That's because it sucked!  We had to rely on Hairbands to hold us over until Grunge came along.

Songs of the 80's :

Video Killed the Radio Star. Not really 80's but kind of key with the rise of MTV; which leads us to ..

I Want my MTV; because Mark Knopfler can play and the opening riff is killer.

Bettie Davis Eyes : because Kim Carnes, voice is yummy

I Love Rock and Roll : because I want to be Joan Jett's ... umm, never mind .. moving on ...

Smooth Criminal : no matter how you feel about him, Michael had talent.  I picked this one because years latter my son saw this video while we were at a party and came in to tell me "Michael Jackson is covering an Alien Antfarm song!"  I died laughing.  He's my boy.

So ... throw in any hairband you can think of and you have the 80's. Poison, Mr. Big, Autograph, Night Ranger, Twisted Sister, Ratt, and on and on

At least it saw the death of disco.

For fashion tips,think about the movies Breakfast Club, Adventures in Babysitting, Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  Comfortable, loose and bright.

[ETA]

For what it's worth, the "retro" look in the 80's was based on the late 50's. but then "retro" is always about 25 to 30 years past.  Everybody knew that girl who always wore poodle skirts or that guy who thought he was The Fonz™

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.