Pleaze can he has llSit

Loki Eliot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can we has this please http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSit , to make it easier for us to make things that require an avaatr to be automatically sat on an object.

Example. Evil plant on the ground. Avatar walks into it and is automatically sat on the object an animated to be swallowed by the plant as part of the experience. 

example2. Things like climbing ropes that need you to be sat on the object to climb.

This would mean i dont have to script over the top work arounds.

please!

Right, we're venturing into yet another case where too much functionality has been conflated into a single operation, in this case, "sitting." The primitive you really need here is the ability to move around an Experience-engaged avatar completely at will. We really don't need all the rest of the "sitting" baggage (e.g., tacit permissions, and even the existence of a sat-upon object), but all that stuff is bundled together, presumably because it's all handy to have for actual seats.

I don't know what would be the easiest way to disentangle this long-confounded functionality now. Maybe, as we have a TempAttach, we now need a TempSit of some sort.

[EDIT: Or, Plan B, we add a full avatar positioning and rotating functionality to objects that are TempAttached. On the plus side, maybe, that same functionality could be acceptable for *all* attachments, not limited to the temp ones. Off the top of my head, I'm not seeing a downside, although it is a very significant expansion of the attachment functionality. Practically speaking, though, there's a lot of pre-existing sittable content that would need substantial re-work to conform to the geometry of attachments -- whereas a "TempSit" would be easier, but still require new scripts, not re-use of existing scripted sittable objects. Also, an expansion of attachment semantics is falling into the same trap as the age-old overloaded "sit" semantics.]

Best I could suggest for now is smacking everyone who steps into experience with an invisible temp attachment for llMoveToTarget purposes.  Now you got a nice little relay on your customer's attachment you can use for events.  Also useful for adjusting buoyancy.

From there you can take controls to rob motion and use llMoveToTarget to take them to, or hold them at any location you want while triggering your animations.  Of course there's a fair chance you already knew all of that or are doing it, in which case forget any of that.

If you have the sort of customer base who are not bothered by RLV you could hit them with a version check for that and just use the RLV force sit command.  I generally avoid it because there's some stigma surrounding it, and it requires specific viewers.  Though RLV and Experience do Voltron in interesting ways since you can temp attach your own relay nicely and quietly and RLV requires ownersays to work.

If you do temp attach a relay to your customers though, strip it off as they leave.  Sim owners are going to love the extra scripts associated with people wandering in from a variety of experiences with barnacle attachments ;)

I have already tried the llTempAttach, llMoveToTaget, TakeControls idea. It worked kinda well but the take controls does not stop people turning left or right for somereason i cant yet thathom. 

All i want is the avatar be grabbed and frozen in place at a specific location in relation to the object they bumped into.

llSit() was discussed in the server OH yesterday. Sadly Simon hasn't been posting transcripts in awhile. It was agreed that it would have to have the same owner restriction as PERMISSION_TELEPORT unless used in an experience. Additionally I think llUnsit() could be tied in to work on non-owner/land owner objects as well if inside an experience.

I hope it's considered. I visited the HP lovecraft faire yesterday and they had a garden full of tentacle monsters which you first had to click to sit on, then click to animate. I would prefer if I ended up being grabbed by the tentacle monster just by walking into it.

Who should I badger to make this happen?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.