need lecture hall to present powerpt or buy land +equipment (all number 400L)

HauDNP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm new to Second Life so please provide step-by-step, or better yet, screenshots.

For school assignmnet, my group needs a place to present a powerpoint on SecondLife, either through a lecture hall/auditorium etc. Any suggestions? Where and how do I get there? 

Or do I rent a room? I have about 300 or 400L to spend. 

4 answers to this question

I'm very surprised that your school would give you an assignment like that if they didn't already have a presentation area of their own.  I'm also surprised that an instructor would just dump you into SL without joining you and offering some basic instruction.  That's rather irresponsible on their part. 

Fortunately, you don't need any sort of "room" in SL. All you need is a place to rez a prim to drop your Powerpoint textures onto.  You don't even need any sort of a projector ( although there's a good free script here if you want to use it).  Upload your textures to SL.  Then find a quiet parcel where you are allowed to rez a prim (your own land or land that belongs to a group you are a member of, NOT a public sandbox full of annoying onlookers).  Stretch your prim to make a decent-sized screen and drag/drop your textures on it, one at a time (or using that script).

As Rolig says, you don't need land to host a lecture. All you need is a relatively quiet spot where classmates can log in to view your presentation. You might find a lecture hall available somewhere around SL, but if you're not picky, you could just as easily hold the lecture on the ocean floor, which is where I'd do it in RL if I could. The Blake Sea regions have lots of ocean floor available, as do Smith and Pooley. If your instructor isn't impressed by the use of the ocean floor as your lecture venue, feel free to respond that at least two longtime SL residents (both of whom have RL experience in education) are not impressed with your instructor's lesson plan.

You needn't even find a spot where you are allowed to rez a prim, as you can wear the object on which you present your textures. If you attach the prim to one of your feet, and stand still during the presentation, it'll stay still enough for everybody to view. You will have to learn how to attach objects and position them, but that's not terribly difficult (she says, having forgot that it took her months to learn SL when she was new).

It costs L$10 per texture upload, so your budget limits you to 30-40 slides. Your audience's attention span will certainly limit you to less, so you should be okay!

If you do decide to give your lecture on the floor of the Blake Sea, don't be surprised if ships converge on you. It's not often the sea floor is invaded by aliens.

Have fun!

Talk to one of the following people about the possibility of using their classroom area for your presentation.

Treacle Darlandes - White Tiger Mentors

Jayleden Miles - Caledon Oxbridge University

kelley Griffith - GQ Start

If you can't get in touch with any of them, or work out an arrangement, call me in world.  I'll let you use my land, and even help you set up your slide show.

I agree with the others.  It was very cavalier of your instructor to give you an assignment like this without any background or preparation.  It's like handing you a roll of aluminum foil and saying, "build a working V-6 engine."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.