how to make a prim follow another that asked for it to be rezzed from a rezzer?

sophy7777

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

im hoping to make a system for petite avatars where they can be carried, my plan to do this is for the avatar to be wearing an invisable prim on them that rezzes out a pose ball so they can be carried but i dont know how to make the pose ball follow the person who click to carry the peteit avitar ive found a way where you can say the person name on /51 so it follows them but id love to know if theres a way to make it so that it follows the person who asked for the prim to be rezzed although it would be the petite's avi's prim. thanks ro reading atleast <3

5 answers to this question

Probably best to ask this kind of question in the Scripting Forum, but yes, what you describe is certainly doable.    

The rezzer knows the UUID of the avatar who touched it to rez the poseball.   So I'd script the rezzer to open a listener on a specific channel when it rezzes the poseball, and script the poseball to open a listener on that same channel when it rezzes, to ping the rezzer to let it know it's ready to receive information, and then have the rezzer reply to that with the UUID of the toucher.

The poseball now knows who it should follow.

This sounds like what they do with saddles that let people "ride" someone who's wearing a horse or dragon avatar.

The saddle is actually a vehicle, with two poseballs on which both avatars sit.  One person (the device can be scripted to allow either one) is the "driver" and controls where the pair of you goes.

You need to understand that this won't work unless you are on land where you have rez rights.  Basically that means your land, a sandbox, or a friends land that has given you rez rights.  Most all other places will not allow you to rez.  An alternative might be to make a pose ball that you can give to whoever wants to carry you and that they can wear.  It's possible to make it no mod/no transfer to prevent them from giving it out or selling it.  You could also make the poseball delete itself when you stand up after getting the ride.

That said, here is a free basic follower script that you can modify.  This script follows the prims owner, so you'll have to mod it to follow whoever asked for it.  You'll have to put the pose ball with your modified script in another prim that when clicked detects the person who clicked, rezzes the ball and sends a message to the pose ball telling it who to follow.  

If you don't have a lot of scripting experience and are not up to this challenge, you can post a request in Inworld Employment and hire someone to write it for you.  

If you want to give it a go yourself, and have more questions, write the script or both scripts as far as you can, then post it in the regular forums under LSL Scripting and ask what questions you have.  Scripters that can give you detailed answers will see it there.  You can repost as you develop your script and have more questions.  You can also refer to the LSL Portal on the SL Wiki to find answers and other samples of scripting code.

• Like 1

Hi Sophy,

I don't know if it's still around, but "Rendezvous" did exactly what you're describing many years ago. I could tote my SL partner around using the fireman's carry, or have her sit on my shoulders while we enjoyed a sunset. It was, as Lindal describes, a "vehicle" upon which we both sat, and which I could control from the arrow keys. I'm sure there are other systems that do the very same thing, all using the vehicle method.

To have someone sit on a prim that follows your avatar will be unsatisfying, as lag will always cause the following motion to stutter and fall behind.

I dunno how stuttery it would be. I've never played with it, but there's an example of a follower that uses KeyFramed Motion, by Rolig, in the wiki that looks as if it would be a good basis for experiment. http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlSetKeyframedMotion

I might have a go and see if a keyframed poseball follower would work. I've made a vehicle for full sized avatars to carry/ be followed by their petite friends. That works pretty well, but has its own challenges. A poseball would be interesting to experiment with, if nothing else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.