how long is a second life year in real months?

krista1k

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Do the math.  A "day" in SL has three hours of sunlight and one hour of darkness.  So, that's 6 SL "days" in one RL day.  So, how many RL days does it take before a whole SL year has passed?  (Hint: Divide 365 by 6.  It almost comes out even.)  And how many RL months is that? ( There are 30 days in a RL month, plus or minus, so ..... )

Rolig's given you one plausible answer. I'll give you another. In role play, time is relative. Albert Einstein explained relativity (his discovery, over 100 years ago) best...

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

Have fun, Krista!

• Thanks 1

This is actually an interesting question, and it does not have a definite answer!

The default sidereal "day" in SL is four hours long...three hours of sunlight, and one hour of night.  However, the Second Life calendar pays absolutely no mind to this.  SL's "seasons" march in lock step with the real world.  Well, at least we celebrate RL holidays when the real world does.  SL does not actually have seasons.  However, many region owners "decorate" their land to correspond to the various real world seasons.  My own sim of Masocado normally has a tropical island theme...sand and palm trees.  But I decorate the place for Fall and Winter.  My "seasons" are much shorter than the RL ones, though.  I generally go back to the tropic landscaping by the end of January!

For roleplay purposes, if you are the Game Master, you can choose any calendar you want!  Or, if you mean an "informal" roleplay situation like pregnancy, you yourself can decide how long your pregnancy will last.  If it were me, I'd say that about a month or two sounds right.  Nine weeks vs. nine months, maybe.  I did meet one over-eager expectant mom whose pregnancy lasted less than two days, though.  Just another example of the endless choice available to you in Second Life!

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.