Inventory Empty

Heeth29

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm just about ready to quit Second Life.  My avi has been a cloud for a week now, and my inventory has said fetching over 4000 items.  I have just cleared the cache today, and now my inventory folders are empty. And my avi is still a cloud.

I've spent money in SL, and it's mind blowing to me that there isn't more technical help from SL staff.  I'm so fed up and ready to throw my computer.  Can anyone help?

I'm using Second Life viewer....the headings at the top of my screen are: Me, Communicate, World, Build, Help, Advanced.  I find a lot of the advice other users have given don't help me because I don't have the tabs they are suggesting.

thanks everyone....sorry for the vent session!

7 answers to this question

***UPDATE to Helpers, OP is responding via Permalink - feel free to add suggestions/tips***

This service is never used by SL staff, only us residents, like you.

Given the added detail from your post yesterday, I reckon you might need to enable HTTP Inventory on the Develop menu. This feature recently became mandatory. This is assuming you followed my advice regarding bake fail. You originally reported that your Inventory was unaffected, so I didn't recommend this.

Thanks for including information about your viewer (kinda). You can show the Develop and/or Advanced menu by following guidance here - by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+D. Your viewer does have them, they just need enabling.

If you have more problems, click Permalink (below) and reply to this message rather than creating a new Question.

I actually did mention that my inventory was in fetching mode all day yesterday, and upon clearing my cache today the folders are now empty tho the fetching message is gone.

As for my viewer, I was going by what the other poster from yesterday said...in the top left corner of my screen it says Second Life, that is all I know. Sorry I'm not as bright as you are with regards to SL. I truly do not understand what it is you're telling me to do. I tried Ctrl+Alt+D and nothing happened....I clicked on your here but it's a bunch of jibberish to me. Not all SL users are rocket scientists...Computers are not my specialty at all.

I'm no rocket scientist either, I promise. I guess I missed the part about Inventory fetching but in my defence, most new users begin with this setting enabled.

Look for instructions to enable the Develop menu - that's your first step. If you are unable to do this you can use Second Life's Debug Settings to set the setting "useHTTPInventory" to TRUE. I wish this was more self-explanatory, but Second Life is what it is.

You can find more details about your viewer from the Help menu, setting "About Second Life". Pasting this information here will tell Helpers which version of the viewer you're using (there are many, all with different menu layouts  - this is why I can only guess where the Develop menu is hiding).

My time is limited here to approx. 30 minutes today, so apologies for any appearances of a short tone. Trying to help where I can - Google and the SL Wiki can usually fill in the blanks. :)

Just doing what I can - try it a step at a time.

1. Can you find Debug Settings (typically in the Advanced menu)? Advanced menu can be enabled in Preferences.
2. Clicking will display a window with two empty (grey) text boxes. The top one can be scrolled through until you reach "useHTTPInventory".
3. After selecting this, the second set of options (they might be a text box, they might be "radio buttons" saying TRUE or FALSE.
4. Set them to TRUE and select OK to close the Debug Setting window.

Please let me know at which step you are having trouble.

Freya seems to have given good answers to your two problems, which are not related to each other. The "cloudy" appearance -- called "bake fail" is fairly common and fortunately also easily cured. The suggestions in the link that Freya gave you ( http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail ) ought to solve that one. If not, the problem is typically an unreliable Internet connection. I'd suggest avoiding using a wireless connection, and restarting your router periodically if that's the case.

Freya is probably right that HTTP fetching was not set properly in your viewer, hence the non-stop fetching error. If the Advanced menu is not showing at the top of your screen, type CTRL + Alt + D. Then type CTRL + Alt + Q to make the Develop menu show. You should be able to find the HTTP Inventory control from there, if you haven't already found it by following Freya's directions in the Debug menu. Take a look also at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lost_inventory

Please don't feel too embarrassed or helpless about the technology. It's not truly very hard to master, but I know that a small stumbling block can frustrate even an experienced user. That's why Freya and I and the other regular Answers volunteers are here. We're not rocket scientists either, but as long-time SL residents we have run into most of these stumbling blocks ourselves many times. We have learned our way around them with the help of other residents. You can too, and maybe you can pass on your knowledge to the next newcomer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3284 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.